Why drum corps has changed and why it's good

You know, I thought of several things to comment about the posters comments but since he's not coming back... why bother. Other than to say good bye and good luck!

I can agree drum corps is for the members but without the fans, who would the members march/perform for? Without the fans buying corps merchandise and going to shows, how would the corps get their funding? So answer those questions and then you can tell me who drum corps is for. If a musician didn't appeal to an audience, how could he afford to keep a recording contract or afford to go on tour if they are playing for no one? Hello? It's common sense! Drum corps is for fans, like me and you. Will all corps appeal to me, no. Even in the 80's, not every corps/show appealed to me. But now, I'm noticing very few number of shows are appealing to me and the ones I do like, for the most part, do not like the entire shows. I sold my tickets to finals because I didn't like the majority shows and I'm not buying any merchandise from DCI or any corps this year because it's not that appealing to me anymore. Will DCI notice my lack of financial contribution... probably not. But if enough people follow suit, they will notice and so will the corps. So yes, the drum corps community should not take people who are announcing they are leaving the activity lightly. Although not every corps will appeal to everyone, there can be a compromise. The reason why older popular music artists are still around like U2 is because they appeal to the older audiences, as well as newer ones. Just because what Britney Spears and Outkast does is popular, doesn't mean U2 should go off doing their style of music. They do their own thing and add in new and refreshing elements. Why can't drum corps follow this same idiology? It just feels like corps are copying each other and losing their self identity, they are sounding like each other. I use to be able to point out in the cds who's who but now since the late 90's I can't tell anymore... maybe Madison if any of them.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope that just because some of the statements offended some of you, you won't discount everything he said.  Although I do not fully agree with him, he has some good points.

We should not expect drum corps to be just the way we want it all the time.

I never heard any poster state they want drum corps they way they want it or the way it was. They might disagree with some aspects of the way the activity is being run or the way corps are producing their shows but never have I heard them say "this is the way it should be...".

Interesting views started off by an erudite editorial. I believe it was mostly on point - not everything - but in general. The activity has always been about the kids, entertaining the fans in the stands who fork over the $$$ and garnering tbe best possible position and point score. Its a different economic reality for today's corps versus that of 20-40 years ago.

It is indeed about getting an 'education' for most though I wonder about the grueling road trips and the endless practices. I can only relate to my days in the Marine Corps Officer Candidate School back in 68 and I thought that was tough.

Seriously - I can only imagine what it is like on the tour. I remember feeling wigged out back when I competed in the 60's and had to make two 6-8 bus rides to contests over two weekends.

Seems to be a growing clamor to return to more entertaining shows though that is hard to define since we all have our preferences. Those of us from the earlier years of corps 50s thru 70s had the pleasure of seeing/presenting some phenomenal shows which got the stands rocking. You don't have to play the top songs from that era - just play the great stuff of today, but in any event stuff that 'rocks'. I saw the thread which caused heat to flow re: the Caballeros Alumni in exh. at Semis. Obviously some don't like Latin rhythms or the 'in your face' blasts of the old brass instruments. Their preference.

Interesting to read the reviews of Finals by a few. It would seem that with all the talent on the field and the endless practices, that the performances on the field would be smoother/cleaner and get better reactions from the fans. I saw comments like - sloppy guard, lots on intonation problems, etc. etc. Reviews of corps from years ago - generally speaking - at the top shows - all the corps were entertaining and executed well while the crowds went crazy over most performances. Some of the 'newer' drum corps fans are way too hard on their reviews and the competitors.

IMHO - the corps of then had their style and the corps of today have their own. My preference is the sock it to you style of the 60s-70s. I agree with the Poster above that many of the corps 'sound alike' with a few nuances to offset themselves. Years ago - you could always distinguish most corp sounds from another, today so much of the sounds run together. The percussion lines of that era were phenomenal though the books they played then were rudimental versus musical as compared to today's books. The GREAT ONES like Sanford, Thompson, Flowers, Parks, McCormick etc. etc. - oh the books they could create.

Hopefully the activity in all its forms - DCA/DCI etc. - finds the middle ground of entertainment and musical perfection that will attract more new members and a much larger audience overall.

Edited by coloradocorp

I never heard any poster state they want drum corps they way they want it or the way it was. They might disagree with some aspects of the way the activity is being run or the way corps are producing their shows but never have I heard them say "this is the way it should be...".

I have seen several posters say exactly that! :worthy:

Sarcasm on:

"We at drum corps X want to thank all 300 of you for paying to come here full of hope and aspiration to our auditions. We appreciate your years of hard work and dreams to be a part of our organization. However, because we only have two spots open, we are going to ask the rest of you to try to find another corps, if you could find any with openings. At least you do not have to pay our $3000 dues, heh, heh! On your way out, feel free to load up on our souvies and recordings. And, by the way, remember that drum corps is for the kids!"

Yeah, drum corps is for the "1% of the lucky" kids.

Sarcasm off

Sarcasm on:

"We at drum corps X want to thank all 300 of you for paying to come here full of hope and aspiration to our auditions.  We appreciate your years of hard work and dreams to be a part of our organization.  However, because we only have two spots open, we are going to ask the rest of you to try to find another corps, if you could find any with openings.  At least you do not have to pay our $3000 dues, heh, heh!  On your way out, feel free to load up on our souvies and recordings.  And, by the way, remember that drum corps is for the kids!"

Yeah, drum corps is for the "1% of the lucky" kids.

Sarcasm off

I didn't know that every kid was entitled to march in a top 12 corps. Strange that DCI has never made that clear. I do know that they have the same opportunity to audition for a corps as anybody else. I also know that every year there are lots of corps with open spots.

What and who are you complaining about here?

Original post: a pretentious, elitist pile of BS <**>

"Can't we all just get along?" (Rodney King after getting his brains beat out, but before being arrested several times for spousal abuse)

Rocketman - No We Can't!

ampssuck