Woodwinds & the Demise of Drum Corps

I think most of you are overreacting at something that's never going to happen.

Wasn't this same exact thing said a few years ago regarding the A&E proposal?

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why you will NOT see woodwinds on the DCI field of competition anytime soon.......

Individual corps budgets are tight as it is. Fundraising is difficult. If you want to add woodwinds, you must:

ADD $$$ to the budget for (at the least) one more bus

ADD $$$ to the budget for more fuel.... seen the gas prices lately??

ADD $$$ to the budget for more uniforms

ADD $$$ to the budget for more food

ADD $$$ to the budget for more staff

ADD $$$ to the budget for new instruments

ADD $$$ to the budget to outfit the equipment and food trucks for the added storage space, etc.

Not to mention insurance costs and the added need for more volunteers and drivers and other support vehicles. If people think the revenue generated from tour fees will cover these costs, they are fooling themselves. Plus, the budget increases will mean corps will have to up their fundraising efforts even more to be able to continue operations year after year.

Some will argue that adding any-key brass was a huge expense. Well, this is not like any-key brass, which is basically replacing one set of horns with another. The resale value of the any-key horns alone makes the investment pay off far more than what it was like when you were stuck with a set of G horns for ten years or more.

Some will argue that adding amplification was a huge expense. Well, this is not like amplification, which, even though it is an added expense, it's not a bank breaker. Amplification is an absolute drop in the bucket compared to the BIG MONEY we're talking about when you start adding vehicles and fuel and all that other stuff. We're talking about tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of dollars..... and then some! People around here are fond of saying "follow the money." Well, there you go. This is simply not an expenditure the overwhelming majority of corps can afford.

Right now, there is really only one director I can think of (maybe two) who would vote for this. And even his Board of Directors would have to think twice before approving such expenses considering their recent (and very public) struggles with fundraising. From a purely logistic and financial standpoint, there simply aren't anywhere near enough directors who will approve this. And I can't envision that the situation will change in ten years as prices RISE.

Translation: Woodwinds on the field in DCI = Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

You may untwist your panties now.

Actually, the only added cost would be in buying and maintaining a woodwind inventory. I believe the number of 135 members per corps is fairly concrete.

Woodwind player slots would come from current battery, guard, and brass captions--no need for a new bus, added fuel expense, etc.

Edited by ravedodger

The DCP double post. Oops.

Edited by ravedodger

the "demise" (if it ever comes) of drum corps will not be woodwinds, it will be the lack of support from previously supporting people.

Woodwinds would only be the catalyst.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

Some will argue that adding any-key brass was a huge expense. Well, this is not like any-key brass, which is basically replacing one set of horns with another. The resale value of the any-key horns alone makes the investment pay off far more than what it was like when you were stuck with a set of G horns for ten years or more.

BTW the resale value for G instruments has increased recently. The cost of a used Kantul Contra grande ($2500-3000)or King K-90 ($900-1200) is keeping up with the upper end of tubas right now ($1000-4500). The resale value for the Bb's is terrible for the cost. I saw a 2001 Dynasty trumpet used by BD on eBay the other day for $160 or so--these horns are supposedly set to sale at retail for $1000. Currently, used Kanstul 3-valve sopranos are bringing a minimum of $250 (typically about $350).

I would rather see a 50% return on a G bugle than a 16% return on a trumpet.

The resale arguement FOR Bb's is completely inaccurate.

Edited by ravedodger

I know the Drum and Fife Corps had woodwinds (piccolos), and they were one of the precursors to the modern drum and bugle corps. Perhaps a bit of history for the activity to go back to its Civil War days. Actually, I believe some of those Fife corps also used a bugle or two. Nah, say it ain't so!! :)

I love this activity, but there are a lot of whiners. Lots of crying and a lot of sour grapes.

Jonathan

This is why you will NOT see woodwinds on the DCI field of competition anytime soon.......

Waaaaaaaaa! I want to believe things are the way that I say they are.

Stop calling it a Band. Waaaaa. It's drum corps. Waaaaaa. It's not a band!

Waaaaaa. There will never be woodwinds. Waaaaaa.

DCI is not band. that's just plain in simple. It is still drum corps, and it will remain that way, until DCI becomes MBI.

~>conner