ESPN 2 Broadcast

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.  Actually, it's not the point of the broadcast. The point of the broadcast is not to give people a free trip to the top 6 at finals.  Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free, after all?

The point of the broadcast is to introduce new fans to the activity. 

It's what's known as a 'tease' -- and is intended to give you and others who watch (maybe for the first time) a taste of what this major musical sport is all about.. and hopefully inspire you to go out and join/support/watch one in your town!

It's not brain surgery.  It's just drum corps.

Stef

Usually, though, people are inspired by artistic excellence, not laundry. :)

[sarcasm] ARE YOU SAYING THOSE GUYS IN A, AA AND AAA DON'T WORK EVERY BIT AS HARD AND ARE EVERY BIT AS TALENTED AS THE GUYS IN THE MAJORS??[/sarcasm]

This comment will be largely ignored but I think you have found and drunk from the Grail of Wisdom, Veek.

Stef

Of course the guys in the minor leagues work every bit as hard as the amjor leaguers. And the Div 2/3 guys do as well. I din;t mean to slight the hard working members of Div 2/3 corps. I was there once myself.

Just the reality of the situation. The major leaguers get all the attention.

Usually, though, people are inspired by artistic excellence, not laundry. :)

I guess that makes me unusual.. part of what got me REALLY interested in DCI and drum corps in general was the old "On the Road Again" montage they always played on the broadcasts.. I thought it looked like SO MUCH FUN.. even with all the hard work..

"artistic excellence" would have made me laugh my ### off as a kid.. I wanted to see corps do something REALLY COOL.. and they did... so they got me coming and going.

Stef

Of course the guys in the minor leagues work every bit as hard as the amjor leaguers. And the Div 2/3 guys do as well.  I din;t mean to slight the hard working members of Div 2/3 corps.  I was there once myself. 

Just the reality of the situation.  The major leaguers get all the attention.

I was totally in agreement with you!!

I love ALL LEVELS of the activity but you made an excellent point -- no mention or image of the bush leagues during the world series.. why do we think we're more special than that? This is the SUPER BOWL of pageantry, isn't it?

I'm totally with you on this.. I didn't think you were slighting DII/III at all..

Stef

I guess that makes me unusual..  part of what got me REALLY interested in DCI and drum corps in general was the old "On the Road Again" montage they always played on the broadcasts..  I thought it looked like SO MUCH FUN.. even with all the hard work.. 

"artistic excellence" would have made me laugh my ### off as a kid..  I wanted to see corps do something REALLY COOL.. and they did... so they got me coming and going.

Stef

Well, thing is, Stef, is most people who march aren't "kids", they're at least 14 and usually 16 or older. They aren't going to be laughing, as with the way the show is buried in the listings (on both PBS/ESPN), its something that they'd actively have to seek out to view.

"Artistic excellence" implies seeing the marching arts performed with a high degree of execution; watching the show. That's certainly more engrossing than hearing Dr. Beat and staff yelling, "Again!". :P

Let me put it to you this way...would you rather see "Carmen" performed for you on the stage, or see the "VH1: Behind The Music" story of the diva that played her?

Which is more inspiring? For an entire generation of folks that watched that PBS broadcast, the answer is obvious. :)

But, anyway, we might as well take what we can get... B)

I would make #### sure it was material that the "average Joe" sports fan who is looking to get his/her sports fix, and then "stumbles" upon the telecast is interested in.

That said, I don't care what corps it comes from 1-12.

MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC.

Drill-design will not do ANYTHING to the first time/casual viewer.

"Wow honey, this is knda interesting, look at that drill move".

Aint gonna happen.

I think the first job of the producer is to evaluate what the overall purpose of the broadcast is going to be. obviously, we really can't say what is or is not best for the DCI production since none of us (at least from what I can tell) have no way of knowing what the overall objective is.

With that said, I personally think that the behind the scenes footage is a more comercial way of taking the production, especially if the purpose of this move is to gain wider apeal and/or bigger sponsers. After all, millions of people enjoy watching shows that follow the daily lives of average joes like you and me thrown into a new environment to ultimately compete for some prize. America likes to see real people strugling, crying, sweating, yelling, etc... Personally, I think that the behind the scenes are where drum corps memories are made and we should be proud for the nation to see that we are a worthy sport and art. Sorry, but the average Joe just wouldn't be able to see that from a Z-pull or an Iceburg.

Nevertheless, as a drum corps junkie I'd prefer to see full finals coverage from Spirit to Cadets... from beginning to end... from the national anthem to the retreat (did they have one this year?).

Do any of you really think that being on ESPN is really going to bring a lot

of NEW fans to drum corps? I don't think so. There are simply too many

channels and too many remote controls.

I believe the great majority of ESPN viewers who might just happen onto

the DCI broadcast are actually LESS likely to stay with the broadcast than

those who happened on to it when it was on PBS...the reason being that the

typical PBS viewer is more "artistic" in nature than the typical ESPN viewer.

(Just look at the programs each presents.)

The producers of the show should gear it toward the audience that will be

tuning in to the show "on purpose"...the drum corps and marching band fans.

And this is not a small number of people nationally! When you consider how

many people have marched in high school bands, college bands, and drum

corps, that's a pretty impressive number. When you add to that parents,

spouses, and friends...there's no reason not to believe that the numbers

could be impressive for an ESPN2 broadcast at 10:00 p.m.

I would hope they would show the entire broadcast of the top 6 corps. That

would take about 72 of the 120 minutes. Will there be commercials? Let's

assume there will be a few. That should still leave plenty of time for OTHER

stuff.

One other thought...what show would the TYPICAL ESPN viewer like the most?

My bet would be on CARMEN...hands down.