Has the art of the ending been forgotten?

we're not done....  We're Not Done...  We're  Not  Done....  WE'RE NOT DONE.... NOW WE'RE DONE!!

Classic ending

and the start of 93:

"here we go...HERE WE GO....here we go AND WE'RE OFF

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do endings have to be loud?

Well, let's look at some of our favorite shows as a fan base.

SCV 1989, no loud ending here, although the push beforehand is. Madison 1995, well...duh. Phantom 1989, check. Star of Indiana 1993, check.

I've always been of the mind that a ending is all in the 'build up' that occurs before hand, and then taking full advantage of the "rise, fall, rise" nature of arranging for the idiom.

If you just decide, "Well, here's the end, time for a big chord!", then even though people realize "Oh, this is the end...they're playing loud", you've lacked the neccessary emotional and musical tools to get that standing "O" from your audience. Some that have left me flat are Madison 2004, Blue Devils 2005 and a few others. Of course, this is IMO; some people may list those shows as their favorite endings.

A good example of building up towards an "inevitable" conclusion is this years Cadets, although they cribbed some of it from Star of Indiana 1993. Another good "old school" example is the Cavalier "tag endings" of 1990-1993.

There has to be a "catch"...in the Cavaliers case, it was the flag work, in the case of SCV 1989, there was the emotional story of the "Phantom", and in some instances (like 1995 Scouts and 1989 Regiment) the horn line is the catch, by sheer force of the wall of sound, as they take you on a emotional journey from the brass charts alone.

Those are the ones that get me the most...when 64 players sound like 200, and make you bang the #### out of your steering wheel, couch cushion etc, when you watch them over and over. :blink:

Cadets 87. Huge push....all time top 10 drill move....huge phrase ending....nice dissolve to backfield.

no all endings do not have to be loud. But lately, it seems so are so jarringly abrupt it leaves people wondering what it is they just saw.

A great drum corps show needs that realse of tension. You need that moment...it can be high or low...you just have to build to it, allow it to breathe and release.

the problem seems to be there is a quick build and no satisfying release. I call it show endingus interruptus

Cavaliers 1993 is such an under-rated show...too bad that they just ran out of gas at the end.

Still, though..."Heroes, Lost, and Fallen" was something else on the field.

1993 Cavaliers is one of my all time favorites from them and I enjoy it far more than their 1992 offering, from drill to colorguard everything just seemed to be more cohesive.

~G~

To throw a couple pennies in...

I was in the upper deck for Madison 97, the place was going friggin' bananas. You had the huge chord that got louder, then LOUDER, THEN the pictures.... and it wasn't over yet... still another drill move and musical phrase. The place was bedlam.

I picked up the '03 DVD at finals, watch the high camera of Phantom's ending. The entire crowd LEAPS up, not at the wedge, but at the fold into the wedge. That show ending gives me chills and waters my eyes every time.

Go back to the 80's and forget about it...

Suncoast 84 (Flag), 86 (Commencement reprise)

Cadets 83, 84

Blue Devils... any year. They OWNED the endings with their tag reprises from 81 to 84, and the ending in 86 is quite possibly one of the loudest things ever.

Madison 83, 84 Cats endings

Phantom 84 1812

So many more from that time... sigh.

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum

Let's not forget Cavaliers in 1991-- that drill and the colorguard toss over the collapsing hornline.  Crowd starts throwing babies.

I was going to mention this one if no one else did...the crowd went nuts starting with the guard toss

I take that one further and , although I agree with you, Star of Indiana had no rivals as they constantly stunned audiencs with their explsive, non-stop endings.

~G~

I am in TOTAL agreement on that one. Especially in the 90's. I know at the time some hated it, but i specifically remember 93. Everytime i saw them that year i was amazed by their closer. From the downbeat to the end, it was awesome. The tension built up throughout, and then the final release was just awe inspiring. Ahhhhhhhh i miss me some star.

Looking back over the last few years, PR03 stands out like a sore thumb to me as a show with an ending that raised the hair on the back of the neck. I hope I don't sound like too much of an old git (Im not), but I don’t think corps do endings like they used to!! They seem to be either too low key or too contrived.

I am glad you started this post. I have been thinking of posting something very similar to this out here.

I agree that the rousing drum corps endings are few and far between.....sure there are some...but not many. There are so many corps that end their show (Or song) with a 4 count whole note......4 counts is really short.......8 counts (to me) is much better and gets the crowds attention. It also gives the ensemble a chance to show off a creshendo....(spelling ??)

Also.....opening statements of shows are weaker than they used to be.....

Some of my favorite closing statements belong to Madison back in the 90's.....

1995 latin show,

1997 pirates show

and ofcoarse 1999 JCS show.....(this one is INSANE....drum corps at its finest)

Triple Forte

Edited by Triple Forte