Build it and they will come?

Agree that shows of today build on previous efforts...that much is true, talent levels are off the charts.

But, I'm going to have to say that I can't totally agree with the second part of your post...as marching band has attempted to emulate drum corps for the longest time.

Now, ever since the key change rule was passed...it seems the roles are reversed, and the 'apeing' is going the other way (although at a clearly higher lvel of execution).

Why not try to preserve both as the excellent art forms they are? No need to homogenize it, IMO.

because to leave it as it was is stifling creativity

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking used instruments to start, no pit or minimal pit.  Hers a pro forma for a 90 member corps start-up with used instruments

Best bet for used horns would be Bb then as the used G market is a sellers market with Alumnis and others looking for horns with some life left in them.

We already have retro corps they are called Aluni corps! My friend just said Troopers! Not Me!

Some Alumni corps do have under 21 members if the corps rules allow it. Corps I'm familiar with do not advertise themselves as retro to the younger set. We just say we're an opportunity to perform in a different type of musical activity. IOW - broaden your musical horizon.

OK everyone, I have a lottery ticket for tonight. I think the jackpot is 82 million.

If I win I will pony up the cash to start a retro drum corps provided the first show we do is 89 regiment LOL

WOW! That's a brilliant idea.

Then the next year we could do 81 SCV.

The year after 75 Scouts.

The year after BDs power show of 80.

What a cool way to run a retro-corps. Field the best shows of the past!

WOW!  That's a brilliant idea.

Then the next year we could do 81 SCV.

The year after 75 Scouts.

The year after BDs power show of 80.

What a cool way to run a retro-corps.  Field the best shows of the past!

That would seem to me to be the way to do it. Get professionals, I mean real people who could devote their whole summers, with my lottery winnings I am sure we could go pro, and bring back a show from the past for all those who never go to see it. I mean if broadway can do revivals of old stage musicals how com we can't?

That's not true.  But I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post.  I meant those proponents of woodwinds on the field in DCI.  Most of DCI's current leaders are not proponents of that concept.

BUT the "proponents" with (at least perceived) power to champion and affect the addition of woodwinds are within DCI, no? I'm not aware of many fans outside the DCI organization that are proponents (encouragers, cheerleaders, etc.) for the addition of woodwinds to the drum corps competition field (with acknowledgement to Mike Davis, of course) - unless, perhaps, in an "anything goes" type division - separate from all braass and percussion drum corps.

right now, if you want to do junior corps, you have to go to DCI unless you're in the midwest w/DCM. Since DCI has shown retro isnt where it's at, you're doomed to fail. too many corps will not leave DCi for fear of backlash

Why base the model on DCI rules and judging and on expecting success to be measured by existing corps within DCI jumping ship? Create new corps - based on your vision of what drum corps should be like - and judge them according to your own criteria. As far as competing for the audience with DCI - the consumers will decide which they like best and will attend accordingly. If you truly (not specifically you - Jeff - the collective you) believe your version of drum corps has the broader appeal - it will succeed. If you don't truly believe that, then this whole discussion is moot.

"Retro Drum Corps & Circuit":

Strange that something like this should come along right now,: October 22 & 23 will see the formation of a junior "Retro" 'Circuit' to be called "Neighborhood Drum Corps" (DCN) in Bridgeport CT. The "Driving Force" behind this are the management of the newly resurected PAL Buccaneers drum corps.

Details remain to be worked out, and a "Charter" written, but the intent to "Return to the roots" is quite in evidence. Stay tuned for details.

Elphaba