best site never to host finals

What city would you like to see host DCI finals that never has before?  

304 members have voted

1. 1. What city would you like to see host DCI finals that never has before?

• Charlotte
    • Cincinnati
    • Nashville
    • San Diego
    • Chicago
    • Pittsburgh
    • Seattle
    • Baltimore
    • Bloomington, IN
    • Cleveland

New Orleans really isn't that hot (RARELY hits 100 degrees)...it's just HUMID!!!

And how can you say "they don't need to be hosting DCI"???  What the heck does THAT mean??? :worthy::master:

I don't mean anything by it really. I guess I'm just jealous that you get big events there and we don't get as much up here around the great lakes. The Super Bowl will be here in Detroit this year, actually, but we here all know full well that the national media is still probably going to complain about how cold it is!

But mostly, New Orleans would be too hot for DCI finals, and as you said, too humid as well!

No offense to New Orleans, I was only there one day in my entire life, but it sure was a fun day!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sadly the chance for New Orleans is slim to none.....maybe with a new stadium (outdoor) they just might have finals someday......and all the corps must play jazz

best of luck to our Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama DCP's as well as all others affected by this.

Nashville or Charlotte would be great. They both have fairly new NFL stadiums. Heck, Nashville is "Music City"!

Nashville. A real gorgeous stadium, many schools in the area, traffic for the most part is pretty good, many hotels in the area of the stadium.

Back in 1999, I was working with Ed Dempsey on getting finals in Salt Lake City for 2002. It was actually a pretty eye opening experience on how this whole thing works and the motivation and interest from the side of the city.

I had gone through several presentations with the city, the Chamber of Commerce, the convention center and visitors buearu and also the management of Rice-Eccles stadium.

Basically, DCI is looking for the host city to underwrite the cost of the stadium and any additional costs as much as posible. We'd coorinated with the stadium management, the city and a corporate sponsor to get things covered, but the only issue was the date. The second week of August is an annual convention in SLC of Outdoor Retailer that brings in about 45-50,000 people. The contract for this convention was locked through 2009.

At that time, DCI would not consider an alternative date (though they did end up experimenting with this in Denver). So, things moved no further.

Bummer... because we got Bonneville International (BIG satellite communications and broadcast media company) to agree to pick up the equipment costs for production and the satellite uplink and time, and Sorenson to handle the video compression, hosting, caching and streaming for online simulcast.

If DCI could shift the date again, like for Denver, this could be an incredible location. On top of the possibility of underwriting a lot of the cost, there are loads of excellent reasons.

#1 - All Major airlines fly to SLC and is a major hub for Delta. Discount airlines such as Southwest, JetBlue, Frontier and AmericaWest all have a considerable amount of flights from all over the country.

#2 - There is absolutely no reason to rent a car or pay for parking. The city has a light rail system that covers the entire downtown area (for FREE inside the downtown), as well as 60 miles outside the city. The light rail stops directly at the entrance of the stadium.

#3 - Near the stadium there is an excellent concert hall on the university campus for staged performances, and a brand new music building with a number of performance halls for I&E.

#4 - There are many affordable restaurants near the stadium, with hundreds of restaurants, bars, cafes and shopping just minutes away on the train from the stadium.

#5 - The light rail train from the stadium goes directly to hotels able to accomodate nearly 40,000 occupants on its route.

#6 - The city has an outdoor concert series that is scheduled each afternoon and evening in the summer that is funded by the city. Corps could be integrated into this concert series to allow more performing opportunities for the general public, while being compensated by the city.

#7 - The area has the highest per capita spending, attendance and participation in the arts of any in the country (example: 1% of the budget goes to publically supported arts activities). Because of this interest in the arts many people that know little about the activity could be pursueded to attend.

#8 - The stadium is EXCELLENT. In order to accomodate the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2002 Olympics, the stadium went through some extensive rennovation and expansion.

#9 - Because there is an unusually high number of children in the state (compared to the national average) there is a corresponding unusually a large number of schools and universities within 60 miles of the stadium.

Anyway, 2008 sounds like it might be a perfect time to try again B)

stdmAnim.gif

Edited by danielray

#9 - Because there is an unusually high number of children in the state (compared to the national average) there is a corresponding unusually a large number of schools and universities within 60 miles of the stadium.

Mormons? :angry:

Mormons?  :angry:

There are a few of them around there :) ... but actually not much in the city.

A side note... if someone ever started up a corps that would take sunday's off... they would be jam packed with talented kids.... from Utah, Texas, most of the south, central California... etc.

I'm not religious at all, but I know that there are quite a lot of kids that would love to march, but get pressure from their family because of rehearsals on Sunday.

As an example, when I was a kid, my High School band (Clovis West... in California) was about 25% Mormon, 25% Evangelical Christian kids... with pretty conservative parents that, mostly, would not allow their kids to do things on Sunday.

When I was in Blue Devils, the corps averaged about 10% Mormon and 5% Evangelical Christian... pretty average for corps in the west at the time (though much higher % with BK and Troopers).

Anyway, I'd be interesting to see statistics on the number of kids that do not march because of not taking Sunday off.

Nashville is awesome.... most people already enjoy coming to the area for the Masters show in murfreesboro (my home town) so it would be much of a switch for them to go to nashville. To put it in perspective... I think murfreesboro has been drawing over 10,000 the last couple of years. think if it were full blown finals and not just top 8

You have to ask the question...what city would be able to attract the most corps? Well Cleveland and Bloomington, Pittsburgh, Memphis. Don't go to far West.