The Official 2006 Repertoire Suggestion Thread

Where can I buy a recording of this "One channel suite" ??

Were you even alive when the Devils last did "Ya gotta try"  :master:

~G~

He already explained the goof. What was the point of this post, other than to insult somebody for no reason?

There I went again with not ignoring ########. Shucks. :lolhit:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think Crown could pull off Paris Sketches by Martin Ellerby. It is a great win ensemble. I could have definately seen Star doing this if they were still around.

Id kinda like to hear Phantom do some Mahler ... Id also agree with the Carmina Burana in all black uniforms ... yumm

As stated in previous threads, Regiment has done Mahler before and it was a disaster. The black uniforms are forever dead to Phantom Regiment. They were also a mistake, brought on by short time director Doug Rutherford, that we got rid of as soon as we possibly could. They lasted only the four years that were needed to wear enough to necessitate replacement.

I still think Mahler's 1st would be awesome for Phantom. All four movements have strong motifs. The "Frere Jaques" in minor movement could be a lot of fun for a ballad. I'd love to see it, but it would take a special design team to make it work.

I'll just say that until 2004, I hadn't actually enjoyed an SCV show (from a purely emotional or "gut" level) since 1992.  More the pity because they had been my favorite corps before that.  No arguing with their talent, but as far as their music choices went, and the style of the arranging, with a few notable exceptions ... thumbs down from me, Roger.  BTW, though, you're not reading what I wrote properly.  You're inferring more than I meant to imply.  B)

What else should I infer from the phrase "god awful noise" then

And G, why are you always breaking TommySop's balls? The kid's just 16, and he's enthusiastic and music and drum corps. Jeez, chill out a bit. We all know what it was like to be that age.

As stated in previous threads, Regiment has done Mahler before and it was a disaster.  The black uniforms are forever dead to Phantom Regiment.  They were also a mistake, brought on by short time director Doug Rutherford, that we got rid of as soon as we possibly could.  They lasted only the four years that were needed to wear enough to necessitate replacement.

they were better then the kahki.....

Phantom Regiment Safari anyone?

Please, please, please give me some more minimalism on the field!!!

SCV blew me away with Orawa in 2003. Man, I wish they would stop screwing around the last two years and revisit that angry/refined/intense/sophisticated style they used to have. Gorecki in '06!! Kleines Requim, String Quartets, Harpsichord Concerto, and any number of great choral works would make for an amazing show. I've been pulling for this rep since DCP started!

Just watched the Incredibles again yesterday. Listen to that closer! I'd love to see an energetic corps like Madison put this score on the field.

Has any corps ever played the third movement to Shostakovich's 8th Symphony? That would make for a great section. I wonder if someone could get the 8th String Quartet to work on the field, as well...

More Don Ellis! My Don Ellis at Fillmore disc just came in the mail the other day, so I've been on a kick. But it seems like the same old charts have been used whenever Ellis gets played, I wouldn't mind seeing someone take a go at tracks like Arcturus, Antea, Eros, Lyra, Great Divide, or Future Feature. That's just off the top of my head, too, there's a whole slew of other great tracks.

Edited by Maedhros

Blue Devils - Anything by Arturo Sandoval, some of his later recordings have some real good undiscovered stuff there. (Hot house, Sandungo)

Or just a solid, intense, colorful, ever-evolving , in your face jazz show that shows why you are the Blue Devils and why you are number#1

~G~

:rolleyes::rock::rock::rock::rock:

YES - I'd love to see Devils take this type of music on - especially Hot House. That is one killer tune.