Is this true?

DCC

Maynard was in Albion once, that was freaking awesome

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a stated ban, why couldn't a professional drum corps (if there ever were to be such a thing) simply walk into DCA and win it all?

You mean like the USMC Drum and bugle Corps?

Give them a color guard and they'd give everyone a run for their money in DCA's

Also what would prevent a top DCI corps from doing a DCA show the last two weeks in August and coming into DCA's and taking it?

Now someone mentioned that DCI has a rule that you can't pay players. Um I don't believe that is true. In fact i believe the juggler in the 1987 Star of Indiana show was originally hired to teach the assistant DM how to juggle and when they found out he was of age they asked him to perform in the show. I'm sure he was still getting his pay.

In 1985 one of our drum instructors (who i believe was being paid and was only 21) was finally convinced to get in the line and march. i don't believe they stopped paying him, and asked for dues.

Thanks for opening the door here.  MAYNARD FERGUSON and his Band "BIG BOP NOUVEAU" will be performing at the 50th Anniversay of the Thunderbirds Drum & Bugle on Friday October 21st at the ZEM ZEM Shrine Club West 38th and Zuck Rd.

This is our annual Banquet and you are all welcome. Concert and dinner $40.00.

Concert only $25.00. Tickets are on sale NOW. (got mine). Got yours???????

...........seriously,.................... Maynard in Erie ............ check it out!.................

Ummm...just for the unknowing, just who the heck is Steve Gadd??  :blink:

w/Stp:

Ummm...just for the unknowing, just who the heck is Steve Gadd??  :blink:

No doubt: Steve Gadd is the most influental drummer of our time.

Steve Gadd, born in Rochester, New York, April 9, 1945. Uncle, a drummer in the army, encouraged him. Drum lessons from age seven; sat in with Dizzy Gillespie at 11. Studied music at Eastman School of Music in Rochester, playing in wind ensemble and concert band, and at nights in a club with Chick Corea, Chuck Mangione, Joe Romano and Frank Pullara.

After college, drafted into army and spent three years in a military band. After the army, gigged and worked with a Chuck Mangione's big band in Rochester. 1972, formed a trio with Tony Levin and Mike Holmes, going to New York with it. The trio fizzled out, but Gadd began to work extensively as a studio musician.

He also played with Corea's first Return to Forever. 1970's and 1980's, toured internationally, recorded with Paul Simon and with Al Di Meola's Electric Rendezvous Band. By the end of the 1970's Gadd was the most in-demand and probably the most imitated drummer in the world.

Steve-Gadd-07.jpg

In Japan transcriptions of his solos were on sale, and all the leading Japanese drummers were sounding like him. Chick Corea commented, "Every drummer wants to play like Gadd because he plays perfect... He has brought orchestral and compositional thinking to the drum kit while at the same time having a great imagination and a great ability to swing."

Gadd was recently in the studio (2003) with Clapton and will be touring with the guitar legend shortly.

In September 2003 Gadd was honored by Zildjian with an American Drummer Achievement Award.

Source: intrepidsoftware.com

I might add, Steve played snare with the Rochester Crusaders in the early 60's, so he is no stranger to drum corps.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna say it. I am not marching anywhere this summer, so I can feel free in saying this:

Steve Gadd....another Crusader that goes over to the Blue Team (if this is at ALL true what is being said on this thread).

There, I've said it. Flame away.

and just like some ES people went back to Cru and people from both corps went to brigs and back...yadda yadda. it's a viscious circle w/you guys up there