Is this true?

DCC

Without a stated ban, why couldn't a professional drum corps (if there ever were to be such a thing) simply walk into DCA and win it all?

Dude! If we could get paid to do drum corps, I think pretty much everyone here would quit their jobs and do DC for a living.

You're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. When we're on ESPN in prime time, competing with (and beating -- ratings-wise) Monday night football, Survivor, Tommy Lee in a college band, and whatever other garbage is on during prime time,and getting paid enough to all get paid individually, then we can start worrying about separating amateur corps from professional corps. Until then . . .

Edited by EvilStimpy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude! If we could get paid to do drum corps, I think pretty much everyone here would quit their jobs and do DC for a living.

w/Stp: - stupid

My husband's felt that way about my being in drum corps for a long time. If we got paid, it would certainly make things a lot easier around the house!

ok, ok if you pay me enough i'll play in your pit this weekend.

I need about 15k for a house down payment...negotiations may now begin

I for one can not wait to see if he is in their PIT. Good pits are hard to come by now adays. If it is true, way to score :rolleyes:

I have been told that one of the DCA corps (unamed until I hear that it's true) is planning on bringing in Steve Gadd to play drum set in their pit for prelims.  I also heard they are offering him a substantial amount of money to do this.

Anyone else heard about this?

Personally, I think it is not fair.

Why "not fair"? I can see it being unfair to the previous set player for that corps. But from a competitive standpoint, scores reflect the quality of the overall corps, more a function of teamwork than anything else. Adding any one person for one show, no matter how talented, is not going to have much impact on the final score.

Here's all I'm going to say.

My dad worked with Gadd on the Paul Simon tour in '90-'91, and my dad still has major connections in "the biz". Thus, he knows Gadd is touring with James Taylor right now. A quick look at JT's touring schedule tells me his last show of the current swing is Friday, September 2 in (amusingly) Rosemont, IL.

Hmm . . .

Veddy interesting.

hey, if it's true. i hope he can master front to back timing in a day

What’s right about it:

- Adds to the entertainment value.

What’s wrong about it:

- Only the richer corps can afford it.

- Demeans your everyday players.

- Distracts the audience from the main body of the corps.

- Misguided thinking that one musician will put you over the top.

On balance, I don’t like it. We’ve always had professionals in the ranks. No big deal. But when you fly in the “Big Noise from Winnetka” for one show, aren’t you taking away from the “team” aspect of drum corps? How would you feel as a third soprano who made every practice and show, helped to line the field at practice, and who put up three corps members in your guest room each week, when Maynard gets his hands on the trophy?

On balance, I don’t like it. We’ve always had professionals in the ranks. No big deal. But when you fly in the “Big Noise from Winnetka” for one show, aren’t you taking away from the “team” aspect of drum corps? How would you feel as a third soprano who made every practice and show, helped to line the field at practice, and who put up three corps members in your guest room each week, when Maynard gets his hands on the trophy?

That's what I always wonder about it. How does the guy feel who normally plays the drum set part?

I think it's a terrible idea. The members of your corps broke their ##### for 9 plus months perfecting their show, and you're gonna just bring in a ringer because he's a big name to get a better crowd reaction??

What are you, nervous that your GE score isn't gonna be up to par, so you're making a last ditch effort for some extra tenths?

NOT FAIR. Sorry.