Garfield 1983-1984 mellophone soloist

• 3 years later...

I just acquired the '83 and '84 DVDs. I had seen stills and snippets of her solo in the past, and I always wondered why her left hand seemed a bit out of place. Now I know why. Just amazing--not only did she have such control and beauty, but she did it with one hand. :thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh:

She was a horn instructor for us (Garfield) in 86.

I was invited to watch a camp by a horn instructor with Cadets in 1989, and I saw a sectional of the ballad for that show, and she was instructing the sectional. Even though I was with Phantom Regiment, it made me very happy to hear her tell the group that they should listen to the sound of the chorale at the end of Regiment's show in '88, and try to play like them. The irony is, one of the lead sopranos in that small group in 88 was a lead soprano that was cut from the Cadet's line before the season in 1987.

Anyway, she was a great player, and, from what I have heard, is a super person.

As long as we are on this topic, let me add my own story about horn players with non traditional grips.

A few years ago, I was playing at my high school alumni night.

One of the younger trumpet alums was beside me and I noticed he fingered with his left hand.

I thought he was either a french horn player at heart or like Jimi Hendrix, just learned wrong.

I quizzed him on this and to my embarrassment showed me his right hand, it had some kind of deformity.

I felt like s*** to say the least.

Ended up getting to know him pretty good.

Also, Steel City had a bari player with a hook. I recall on a bus trip using it as some sort of clip for some weird cigarettes. Seeing that being passed was a bit freaky.

By the way,(garfield) she is the best mello soloist I have heard in 30 plus years!

Barbara's solo performance in 1983 was simply beautiful. A two-valved mellophone is not the easiest instrument to play in tune and she absolutely nailed it. We toured with them on second tour and were duly impressed with the way she played.

No mellophone was ever easy to play in tune - (now that I know her name) Barbara was indeed a cut above - our four man line was pretty darn good - intonation and all of that but we were a section. Hy even wrote our parts (especially in loud sections of the music) in two part harmony kinda like 1st and 3rd Horns in an orchestra. But I would never have had the "guts" to do the solos she was capable of.

My shako's off to her!

Puppet

• 2 weeks later...
No mellophone was ever easy to play in tune - (now that I know her name) Barbara was indeed a cut above - our four man line was pretty darn good - intonation and all of that but we were a section. Hy even wrote our parts (especially in loud sections of the music) in two part harmony kinda like 1st and 3rd Horns in an orchestra. But I would never have had the "guts" to do the solos she was capable of.

My shako's off to her!

Puppet

Hey Puppet, you guys have some bari players that sound like mello's. You know who I mean ! :tongue:

Hey Puppet, you guys have some bari players that sound like mello's. You know who I mean ! :thumbs-up:

We had an awesome Euphonium line BITD - the guy who stood out was Ruben Ariolla (sp!) who could play anything!

Puppet