Impact of Drum Corps on Members Health

I am all about properly stretching and feeding members of any corps. But, to say that we should lower the difficulty level of the drill because people might get hurt is a bit " absurd."

Look at any football team, tell me a season where someone at least doesn't break there arm? Or get carted off in an EMS truck.

This is a risk, to march on a field with instruments , flags, rifles, at a high pace all summer. It is a voluntary activity that we all took. You can leave at any time. Why would you SUE an organization for your voluntary action? Sounds really silly guys...

Who said anything about sueing? Maybe someone did, not me.

I'll ask you the same question, is it worth a few torn ACLs out there so you can say "wow - spiffy drill"? Sorry but I don't think you, or I, or anyone else (including designer ego or competetive advantage) is worth it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all about properly stretching and feeding members of any corps. But, to say that we should lower the difficulty level of the drill because people might get hurt is a bit " absurd."

Look at any football team, tell me a season where someone at least doesn't break there arm? Or get carted off in an EMS truck.

This is a risk, to march on a field with instruments , flags, rifles, at a high pace all summer. It is a voluntary activity that we all took. You can leave at any time. Why would you SUE an organization for your voluntary action? Sounds really silly guys...

It is silly, I agree. The problem is; not everyone...and especially some trial lawyers, will agree...and there will be someone who will try at some point in time to 'recover damages' from this voluntary activity. (Especially since the participants pay fairly high fees to participate.)

Therefore, the corps should...and IMO have to, protect both the participants AND the organization; with both information, training, on-hand trainers and medical care, and legal protections from frivilous and/or malicious lawsuits. Even then, injuries will occur...especially with the extreme physical demands today's visual programs require.

Edited by prodigal bari

It is silly, I agree. The problem is; not everyone...and especially some trial lawyers, will agree...and there will be someone who will try at some point in time to 'recover damages' from this voluntary activity. (Especially since the participants pay fairly high fees to participate.)

Therefore, the corps should...and IMO have to, protect both the participants AND the organization; with both information, training, on-hand trainers and medical care, and legal protections from frivilous and/or malicious lawsuits. Even then, injuries will occur...especially with the extreme physical demands today's visual programs require.

It is , or should be the responsibility of the people in charge to evaluate length of practice, heat, etc etc. BUT people entering the activity should also realise what they are getting themselves into. Look what others either in sports or the arts deal with...You ever see a dancers injuries?

You can't say wellll they get paid ( which I'm sure someone will say ) pay or not some physical activities are not for everyone and just because a kid wants to be in something doesnt mean they should .

Now this doesnt let directors off the hook. Directors need to push but also know how to get the absolute most out of a person and push them to their highest potential, whatever that might be..Just my opinion.

Does anybody remember seeing a quad drummer hooked up to something that measured the use of oxygen? I have a foggy memory of a piece that Bobby Knight did with the Star of Indiana that compared his activity to an athlete. It was on a DCI broadcast a few years back.

I believe in 2004 that a Cavalier member was hooked up to a device to measure his oxygen and his heart rate. May not be the same thing you are thinking of, because Star did do a study of this as well. The Cavalier member was shown on DCI finals when it was shown on TV as one of the highlight things they have between the corps. It was my son's first year in the Cavaliers, so that is why I remember that particular study.

There are a groups of medical personnel and others from Corps all over the country as well as other interested people who meet to talk about and study Marching, Music and Medicine. The first one of these was held in 2006 at Auburn, one was held in Atlanta and I think the most recent one was in Orlando. So it is an important aspect of Drum Corps!

It is , or should be the responsibility of the people in charge to evaluate length of practice, heat, etc etc. BUT people entering the activity should also realise what they are getting themselves into. Look what others either in sports or the arts deal with...You ever see a dancers injuries?

You can't say wellll they get paid ( which I'm sure someone will say ) pay or not some physical activities are not for everyone and just because a kid wants to be in something doesnt mean they should .

Now this doesnt let directors off the hook. Directors need to push but also know how to get the absolute most out of a person and push them to their highest potential, whatever that might be..Just my opinion.

OOPS ...I'm very sorry for the type Ossssss in my last post.....and spelling...gezzzzzzz..lol..I shouldnt type and run..lol

Does anybody remember seeing a quad drummer hooked up to something that measured the use of oxygen? I have a foggy memory of a piece that Bobby Knight did with the Star of Indiana that compared his activity to an athlete. It was on a DCI broadcast a few years back.

Sports Illustrated

Volume 67, No. 6

August 10, 1987

"If a baseball team trained as hard as these kids do, " says Knight, "it would be unbelievable. I like to take my players over there to show them what they can accomplish with hard work and teamwork. Besides, once they see them practice 12 hours a day, my players thing I'm a helluva lot easier."

I believe in 2004 that a Cavalier member was hooked up to a device to measure his oxygen and his heart rate. May not be the same thing you are thinking of, because Star did do a study of this as well. The Cavalier member was shown on DCI finals when it was shown on TV as one of the highlight things they have between the corps. It was my son's first year in the Cavaliers, so that is why I remember that particular study.

The 04 one was done by teh same doctor as the 93 one....nice follow up.

The difference between sporting teams, dancers, skaters, etc. is that they have coaches and trainers teaching them how to prepare for competition. They have gyms and equipment at their fingertips. They are educated about how to work their body, and they have someone to work with to make sure they're doing it right.

I haven't done the research (yet), but I have to wonder how many corps have this kind of background training program in place for the off season?