Bushwackers Penalty

I've thought about whether or not to say this because of my somewhat public position with DCA.....

But I'll say it. AND THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY, not the opinion of DCA or any of its officials.

What the Bushwackers did, IMO, came across as some combination of stupidity, arrogance, or sheer disregard for a fellow competitor (the Buccaneers). It was a pathetic display of poor sportsmanship, and the penalty was richly deserved. Should have been more, in my opinion.

I know people will come on here and say "it was a mistake" and so forth. If so, mistakes like that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN at a championship competition. Everyone SHOULD have known the rules about "no trooping."

Again my opinion.... the Bushwackers worked very hard this year and put out a very good show... and it seemed they were finally getting back in the good graces of the general audience by reaching out to the paying public with an entertaining product. But I think they lost at least some of that goodwill with their move Sunday night, whether it was an accident or not.

Accident or not, mistake or not, perception is reality, folks. I expect a lot better from the Bushwackers, who over the years have been a good group of hard-working, fun-loving drum corps people. I would hope they learn from this mistake.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and gentlemen, before this gets any further out of hand, it was a MISTAKE!!

There was absolutely no disrespect intended toward any of our competitors. We know that our competitors work every bit as hard as we do. Those sentiments have already been conveyed to those who should hear them.

Thanks!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, before this gets any further out of hand, it was a MISTAKE!! 

There was absolutely no disrespect intended toward any of our competitors.  We know that our competitors work every bit as hard as we do.  Those sentiments have already been conveyed to those who should hear them.

Thanks!!!

If I recall, the same thing went on last year. The Hurcs were leaving the field, to their left, and Bush came out from behind the back-drops from their left. Did not look good. No penalties though!

Anyway, congratulations to all corps for a GREAT season.

Cool..... I accept that. No lingering hard feelings from me. Life's way too short, and drum corps is too far down the list of life priorities, for that.

But like I said, perception is reality. You guys looked bad Sunday night, purely and simply.

Bit of unsolicited advice: Work on your public relations. Realize that there actually is an audience out there watching your corps.... you're not in a vacuum here.

And yes.... best of luck to Bush in '06. Come out strong next year, guys!!!!!

Fran

........What the Bushwackers did, IMO, came across as some combination of stupidity, arrogance, or sheer disregard for a fellow competitor (the Buccaneers). It was a pathetic display of poor sportsmanship, and the penalty was richly deserved. Should have been more, in my opinion.

........Again my opinion.... the Bushwackers worked very hard this year and put out a very good show... and it seemed they were finally getting back in the good graces of the general audience by reaching out to the paying public with an entertaining product.  But I think they lost at least some of that goodwill with their move Sunday night, whether it was an accident or not........... 

Fran, I don't have a problem with being called arrogant, or even stupid. I think your opinion on us trooping the stands, although a bit harsh, could be viewed by some as warranted. What I do have a problem with is: "...it seemed they were finally getting back in the good graces of the general audience by reaching out to the paying public with an entertaining product....."

What the heck are you trying to say? We worked just as hard on the shows we put on the last several years as we did this past one in 2005. As a member of the Bushwackers, I am more insulted by that comment than anything else you wrote. I never knew that we weren't in the good graces of the paying public.

What the Bushwackers did, IMO, came across as some combination of stupidity, arrogance, or sheer disregard for a fellow competitor (the Buccaneers). It was a pathetic display of poor sportsmanship, and the penalty was richly deserved. Should have been more, in my opinion.

I know people will come on here and say "it was a mistake"  and so forth.  If so, mistakes like that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN at a championship competition.  Everyone SHOULD have known the rules about "no trooping." 

Well, the 2 people leading the block off the field were 16 and 17 years old repsectively (i'm pretty sure on those ages anyway). They just had the show of their lives and were incredibly excited. They simply didn't know the rule and took a 50/50 chance and picked wrong. They said they heard someone say "turn right." If you don't think these kids feel bad enough already by getting us a penalty that cost us a placement without a bunch of people getting on here and chastizing them...

I ran down from the audience after the performance to get off the field with the corps and I saw them coming across the front side and my first thought was "cool, i can get some good pics" because even though I've been in the corps since 1992, I didn't know you could get a penalty for leaving the field the wrong way. As we've seen earlier in this thread (maybe it was in the other finals thread) there are people who don't even know what trooping the stands even means. Point is, it really was just a simple mistake with no arrogance or intentional disregard for the Bucs. Even so, it clearly didn't seem to effect their performance, they rocked the house didn't they?

If you'll feel better by thinking there was some kind of conspiricy by us to try and psyche them out or something then I guess you're entitled to it but it's very simply not the truth.

I'm not trying to say we don't deserve the penalty. There was a rule, we messed up and we deserved it.

Congratulations to the Buccaneers on an incredible season. The corps that performed the best won last night. The judges got it right. (including our penalty)

I've thought about whether or not to say this because of my somewhat public position with DCA.....

But I'll say it.  AND THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY,  not the opinion of DCA or any of its officials.   

I know people will come on here and say "it was a mistake"  and so forth.  If so, mistakes like that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN at a championship competition.  Everyone SHOULD have known the rules about "no trooping." 

Again my opinion.... the Bushwackers worked very hard this year and put out a very good show... and it seemed they were finally getting back in the good graces of the general audience by reaching out to the paying public with an entertaining product.  But I think they lost at least some of that goodwill with their move Sunday night, whether it was an accident or not. 

Accident or not, mistake or not, perception is reality, folks.  I expect a lot better from the Bushwackers, who over the years have been a good group of hard-working, fun-loving drum corps people.  I would hope they learn from this mistake.

Fran

Pretty Harsh words Fran. Was it an attempt to psych out Bucs? We''ll never know. You and I both have friends who march in Bush and there's alot of good, competitive, classy people in Bush.and you're saying that those people put up with a very unsportsmanlike gesture. I don't think they did because I'm inclined to believe it was a mistake, a mistake that cost them dearly and whoever led the block will have to live with it.

I enjoyed the Bushwackers show a lot! I have enjoyed seeing their shows improve.

If members are coming on the boards saying it's a mistake, I BELIEVE THEM! In their position I cannot imagine them EVER trooping the stands on purpose because they have come so far this year. I doubt they would want to knowingly jeopardize their placement.

As a new member to this forum and a fan of drum corps it is sicking that someone would come on here and be so rude about the situation, especially a person who seems to have been around drum corps so long!

Bush, you deserved the penalty for your wrong doing but it doesn't stop me from still thinking you look like a bunch of fun, respectable individuals!

Best of luck to you, Bush!

Well, the 2 people leading the block off the field were 16 and 17 years old repsectively (i'm pretty sure on those ages anyway).  They just had the show of their lives and were incredibly excited.  They simply didn't know the rule and took a 50/50 chance and picked wrong.  They said they heard someone say "turn right."  If you don't think these kids feel bad enough already by getting us a penalty that cost us a placement without a bunch of people getting on here and chastizing them... 

I feel sorry for the kids I hope they are OK Gerat job Bush one #### of a show looking foward to seeing you next year.

In Fran's defense, the Bushwackers have traditionally leaned toward a DCI style artistic type show rather than a traditional, (more accessible to the average fan) DCA "in your face" show. I have to admit I wasn't a big fan....until this year. Bush was great! It's not a stretch to think they are way beyond those sorts of mistakes. I'm glad it was. I've seen a lot of strange stuff happen and this was just one more. Congratulations on a beautiful corps. We all know where you should have placed.