Bushwackers Penalty

Our drum majors and color guard (just recently) do that at every show, regardless of who wins what,and it's been a tradition for years.  It's been broken down to 9 claps - our DM's are pretty hard core when it comes to that stuff.  They're just ultra serious, and we think it looks pretty cool. That's all.

Great and thank you for the info. Because the DMs were right next to the Buccs it was hard to miss. And yes it is distinctive and fits the motif well.

OK it was nine claps. I can't count after my bedtime. :P

Edit - Got my Chris' confused......

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you recall, at prelims the nice folks from Jolsch photography were at the end of the field yelling for each corps to go there for group pictures. That's why they went that way at prelims. At finals that wasn't the case.

Joe Itkor

Bushwackers Front Ensemble Coordinator

they seemed to get off the field without a hitch during prelims......nice show though

#### happens.

if anyone has a reason to be ###### about anything, it's not that Bush trooped the stands. Sure, not a good move, but not the end of the world.

if anyone has a right to ##### about anything, it should be the Bucs, who had a parade of loud, ####### rudely ignorant Legionaires go down the aisle on the 50 during Adagio.

now that's worth #####ing about. These were the ####### people helping to run the show...and Good ole Doc Sebastianelli led em down the aisle like the pied ####### piper of legionaires.

##### about that

I wasn't trying to turn this around into bash Fran.  Please cut that stuff out.  Fran and anyone else who feels that way is entitled to their opinion.  I merely explained the situation to the best of my knowledge.

I appreciate that, Alex. And believe me, I LIKED the Bushwackers' show this year (great hornline, especially... hey, I'm an old horn player so that's what I tend to focus on!), and have enjoyed them for the past several years (especially the NASA show in 2003... great show, IMO.)

So yes, in response to an earlier post, perhaps.... well, no, not perhaps... I WAS too harsh in describing the Bushwackers as a corps that doesn't seem to care about the audience. But frankly, that has not always been the case with the corps. However, it's a reputation that they have worked hard to change, so if it sounded like I'm trying to perpetuate that old rep, I apologize.

But I have no need to apologize at all for my opinion about your corps' actions Sunday night. That mistake is on you guys, 100 percent. If that means you have lost respect for me.... oh well. Trust me, I won't be losing any sleep over it. Life goes on, folks.

And like I said... and I mean this..... I wish the Bushwackers nothing but the best in '06. You guys have taken a big step up the ladder, and DCA is much the better for it. A strong Bushwacker corps helps make DCA a better product, no question.

Jim Dugan, we'll have to get together for a beer sometime. I'm buying!

Fran

folks

please... stop beating this to death... and I would ask that the dcp management even consider closing the thread in the best interest of all...

Yes, it was a shock... as one of the officials working the front sidelines I was the first to run to the staff and ask "what the .... are you doing"

the rule is necessary because at championships you have multiple mic stands, extra cameramen, TV cameras, trophy tables etc. blocking the way

it is also necessary to ensure the timely flow of the show

that being said... Bushwackers made it very clear - very quickly that it was a simple error by two young people... that explanation was quickly accepted... but the corps was already face to face with the next competitor

There was no penalty or fine for violating championship rules... there could have been...

The penalty for impeding the progress of the next corps on is clearly spelled out in the rule book. It is 2 points. The Bushwackers know more than anybody the seriousness of the timing coming on to the field - the "hype" factor, the warm up factor - not allowing delays which could cause younger performers (or older ones for that matter) to "tighten" up or worse "dry up"... that's why the penalty exists...

After reviewing the situation with all, the President determined that reducing the penalty to 1 point would be fair in light of the apparent error on the part of the performers. This seems to have been a fair compromise to all for two reasons... one, the offended party who really did have their routine severely interrupted knows that the situation was recognized and handled and second, I doubt you'll see it happen again any time soon...

End of Story

Tom Peashey

DCA PR (RETIRED)

speaking for myself

Our drum majors and color guard (just recently) do that at every show, regardless of who wins what,and it's been a tradition for years.  It's been broken down to 9 claps - our DM's are pretty hard core when it comes to that stuff.  They're just ultra serious, and we think it looks pretty cool. That's all.

Chris Killian is a GREAT drum major/conductor. Period. So is Chris Gerace. I hope they stay together as a team for a long time.

Fran

Chris thank you (and others) for letting us know. But in all seriousness can I ask about something else I noticed during retreat. Sounds minor but could also look like disrespect from Bush towards the Bucs. As the Buccs won each caption, the DMs from the other corps applauded. Bushs DMs did what I call the "Russian Robot" clap. That is they had their arms almost straight, clapped about 6 or 8 times in unison and then stopped dead. Looked like a big version of a "golf clap". The more it was done, the more I couldn't tell if it was part of the Russian motif or <can't think of a flameless way to put it>. This is the first DCA show I made all year so I have no idea what has been doen this year.

Asking so hopefully someone can clear this up for me and anyone else who noticed.

9 claps. Every special award, every placement except for 1st (and our own). It's been that way since 2002.

Why 9? Got me. :) We bend our knees together, scratch our faces together...do everything as one. It's just our gig.

AND, Josh Decker (DM of the Bucs) is one of my best buddies from college (WCU!). I love the guy like a brother. No disrespect...and their DM's knew that. In fact, Kris and I had them laughing on retreat...as ususal.

Folks, it's drum corps. Conspiracy would make it more interesting, but in all honesty...we just took a wrong turn. I'm the last one off the field, so by that point all I could do was salute...in my smelly Russian uniform. B) All that matters to me is that we got a standing O, performed the heck out of our show, and broke into the top 3 for the first time since we went undefeated in 1993...3 years before I joined.

Congrats to every corps. Remember why you do this...why you put on the uniform. Sure, competition drives the activity in a lot of respects, but it's for the love of the game...it's for the people around you...it's for the love of your drum crops.

We've never placed 2nd. :) Even when the scores (pre-penalty) say we did, we find a way. lol Folks, I can GUARANTEE you that you will not only be entertained by the Bushwackers next year, but that we're going to keep pushing the envelope and keep on trying to make you stand up and cheer. Next year is our 25th. Rock and/or Roll!