Bushwackers Penalty

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 claps.  Every special award, every placement except for 1st (and our own).  It's been that way since 2002.

Why 9?  Got me.  :)  We bend our knees together, scratch our faces together...do everything as one.  It's just our gig.

AND, Josh Decker (DM of the Bucs) is one of my best buddies from college (WCU!).  I love the guy like a brother.  No disrespect...and their DM's knew that.  In fact, Kris and I had them laughing on retreat...as ususal.

Folks, it's drum corps.  Conspiracy would make it more interesting, but in all honesty...we just took a wrong turn.  I'm the last one off the field, so by that point all I could do was salute...in my smelly Russian uniform.  B) All that matters to me is that we got a standing O, performed the heck out of our show, and broke into the top 3 for the first time since we went undefeated in 1993...3 years before I joined.

Congrats to every corps.  Remember why you do this...why you put on the uniform.  Sure, competition drives the activity in a lot of respects, but it's for the love of the game...it's for the people around you...it's for the love of your drum crops.

We've never placed 2nd.  :) Even when the scores (pre-penalty) say we did, we find a way.  lol  Folks, I can GUARANTEE you that you will not only be entertained by the Bushwackers next year, but that we're going to keep pushing the envelope and keep on trying to make you stand up and cheer.  Next year is our 25th.  Rock and/or Roll!

Well said, Chris. Congratulations on a great season, and I can't wait to see what you guys do next year. Rock on :)

Perhaps the DCA rulebook should be required reading for the at least the staff of every corps and also any members who do important stuff like lead the corps onto/off the field. I marched Bush so I know this was obviously not intentional, like how the penalty that lost Renegades a placement in 2003 was also not intentional. I marched Bucs in 2003 and when people ask me how we did I say that we got fifth but we really got sixth except there was a penalty. Why would any corps intentionally earn themselves a penalty like that after working their butts off all summer for the best score they can get, especially given how close the top few scores are and how close Bush was to winning?

If all performing members knew at least what can cause a penalty I bet there'd be way fewer penaties.

Yes, it was a shock...  as one of the officials working the front sidelines I was the first to run to the staff and ask "what the .... are you doing"

Actually Tom, you ran to and was in the face of a 19 year old kid who was helping the pit for the weekend. He was not on staff and that might be why he was looking at you the way that he was.

AND, Josh Decker (DM of the Bucs) is one of my best buddies from college (WCU!).  I love the guy like a brother.  No disrespect...and their DM's knew that.  In fact, Kris and I had them laughing on retreat...as ususal.

Products of the PA State School system eh?. That explains a lot.....

(Kidding as I went to IUP MANY moons ago...)

Thanks Chris, that clears the air very well. Like I said, DCA was my first show this year. When I saw two people in military type uniforms I thought what the Hades. Then I remembered the show was Russina based (like Duh Jim)......

Rock and/or Roll!

Let's get back to what is really important here...

1.) Chris, did you lock your keys in the car?

If you answered with something like, "I didn't drive to the stadium, the whole corps took a bus...."

2.) Did HE lock HIS keys in the Bus? And if so, which corps came along to help get them out with a stick?

:) My keys were actually in my pocket. I forgot to take them out and I hit them with my fists when bringing the horns down at the end of the opener. -ouch!-

No breaking into my car necessary! Thanks. :)

All I can say is, #### happens.

Reminds me of back in 2003 when the Renegades incurred a one point penalty that cost us TWO places because of a boundary violation. Had that not occurred, we would have finished in 4th position in 2003.

Why did this happen to us? Because at NO point did our corps staff gather the corps and have an explicit discussion about DCA boundary violations and rules, and we simply took the field in ignorance. HAD we taken the time to spell these things out, the outcome of the 2003 championship would have been VERY different.

Like someone else said, if you've got two 16-17 year old kids leading the corps off the field in a state of emotional flux after what had to be the show of their lives, they took a 50/50 chance and got it wrong. Someone on Bush's staff SHOULD have taken the time to make ABSOLUTELY sure these kids knew that trooping the stands WAS NOT AN OPTION AT FINALS!

But, as others have pointed out, IT WAS A MISTAKE!

I know this past weekend our full corps DID have that meeting to discuss boundary violations and other DCA rules, the meeting we SHOULD have had in 2003. We learned from that experience and went forward, and I have no doubt that the Bushwackers will do the same. It was, after all, an honest mistake.

Let us not let this penalty take anything away from the accomplishments of the 2005 Bushwackers, who really did take the bull by the horns this season. Even with the penalty, they finished 5 places higher than they did last year, a monumental accomplishment. Congratulations to Bush for a fine show and a successfull season, and see you all at DCA next year!!