soloists on the front sideline.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get in the line and march or join a alumni corps.

we dont wan to hear and see these guys stand there backs to us while the corps is busting there humps. turn and play high notes.

put thenm in the drill.

or

get them out of here.

gets annoying after a while.

dont get me wrong . I love high notes and blow my face off solo's . but these guys are just rude. gives DCA a bad rap. very old school.

LL

Yeah, I hate it when the juniors do that also. I mean, come on, hitting those high Cs and above should be done while they are marching 200 bpm instead of standing on the sideline. I thought the juniors were the best of the best.

[/sarcasm]

This has been going on forever in Dca..

Not really "forever". BP (Before Pit) there was nowhere to stand. And, if someone stood on the field and didn’t march, the corps would incur a penalty for “time in motion”. (Every member of the corps had to be marching or marking time to accrue time in motion. A minimum requirement (10 minutes out of 12?) had to be achieved.)

But then several corps marched their soloists as “floaters”, with only a fraction of their marching spent in formation.

Didn’t like it then, don’t like it now.

Get in the line and march or join a alumni corps.

we dont wan to hear and see these guys stand there backs to us while the corps is busting there humps. turn and play high notes.

put thenm in the drill.

or

get them out of here.

gets annoying after a while.

dont get me wrong . I love high notes and blow my face off solo's . but these guys are just rude. gives DCA a bad rap. very old school.

LL

I disagree with you!!! This has been going on for quite some time and up until the past month it wasn't a problem. The beauty od DCA is that very good players can participate....think about this, some of these people were marching in drum corps before you were ever thought of and now MAYBE they can't physically march so why put them out to pasture? Let them still participate. This post IS SO WRONG!!!!!

The guys from Minnesota were dynamite. Richie , Joey and Screech were great as well....

But I marched and played all the drill when I was the soloist at Empire. At least they could have thrown them a few drill sets to make it look correct.

Donny

I remember seeing tons of sidelined soloists in DCA for the past 15 or so years I've been doing this activity. Not all soloists need to be pitted. Some even couldn't be pitted. Big props to the soloist from Chops who marched the entire show (minus a page or two) and played several solos from various places on the field. (At least I think it was the same guy.)

And this subject really didn't come into question until Empire rolled in this year with Joey, Richie and Screech on the sideline. I allready explained how I feel about Richie. So many years later he is STILL the coolest guy ever and one #### of a player. From what I understand, Joey was supposed to be touring with Maynard this year but that didn't work out so he still participated in DCA this year. Screech should march. (But I'm just busting his chops.)

I have to say that while I really wasn't digging Empire's show this year, (no dissprespect, great show just not MY cup of tea,) I did enjoy seeing the soloists play some tastefully done SOLO WORK beyond just screaming high notes plus the way they interacted with the crowd and with EACH OTHER was pretty cool. Little stuff like the "Rock, Scissors, Paper" thing to determine who played the next solo was neat. But I guess if you're one of those people who are anti-soloist, you'll just say that it was another distraction. All I'm gonna say is that if you feel that way, you must have hated all those corps Sunday night that did crazy fast drill maneuvers or especially the Renegades with the whole running around the bass drums thing that they did. That was distracting to me and I think their bass line should either march with their drums on or get off the field!

Do you see how I like to use sarcasm to get my point accross sometimes?

Do you see?

<$1 to Mad TV for creating the stupid character who talks like that.>

Yeah, I hate it when the juniors do that also.  I mean, come on, hitting those high Cs and above should be done while they are marching 200 bpm instead of standing on the sideline.  I thought the juniors were the best of the best.

[/sarcasm]

Your Sarcasm doesn't work here.. What JR's had their soloist on sidelines for the whole show?

I disagree with you!!!  This has been going on for quite some time and up until the past month it wasn't a problem.  The beauty od DCA is that very good players can participate....think about this, some of these people were marching in drum corps before you were ever thought of and now MAYBE they can't physically march so why put them out to pasture?  Let them still participate.  This post IS SO WRONG!!!!!

Yeah Isn't it great if you are a very Good player you can be an exception. But if you are not A really Good Player sorry.. We have no place for you. We would put you on the sideline so you could still do what you love doing . You know Competing and Entertaining the crowd with others. But sorry you SUCK!! So you must go off now. But hey if you get some Julliard Training or something like that come back and we can Talk.

NICE..

Edited by Oddone

Your Sarcasm doesn't work here.. What JR's had their soloist on sidelines for the whole show?

I know...but to a point. I'm just pointing out how silly this arguement is about soloists is. The point about the seniors is not ring chasing or playing for the judges (like the juniors) but performing for the audience. If they bring in a soloist who plays for 2-3 minutes and sits in the pit for the rest of the show, I don't really care. He's out the way while the corps performs it's bit.

I do agree that these soloists should not get the best soloist award.

IMO it just takes away from the corps show on the field I find myself watching the soloist and not the whole corps.