DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must the Waaaambulance be brought back?

You can do what you want. I am offering my opinion, the opinion of one person. Yours is different. Do I jump down your throat? No. Let's have an intelligent discussion about these differing opinions instead of trying to shoot down someone who has a differing view than yours. On the other hand, if your going to bring back the waaaaaaaaaaaambulance, jump in for a ride for all the crying you have done about people disagreeing with your opinion.

Since they didn't show one full performance, I have to ask (because maybe I missed it)...

Did, at any time, Rondo ever say something like, "Remember, what you are seeing are small snippets of an eleven-minute show"?

Cause i figure, since they felt it necessary to explain every single aspect of the activity, telling people that shows are not really 4-minutes long might be something of some importance.

After reading the last 10 pages of people complaining about the broadcast, I feel that I have to say some things here.

I find myself guilty of not being able to see the forest through the trees sometimes. I'll watch a drumline in the parking lot and think a drum line is no good because someone has a bad left hand or they can't play a triplet roll clean, or even a 32nd note run in the bass line wasn't perfect.

I've realized that I'm way too critical to actually enjoy myself anymore. This summer I took myself out of "judge mode" and tried looking more at the positive things that I saw and taking in the "bigger picture."

I enjoyed myself way more this summer around drum corps than I have since I aged out.

The moral of the story is: Instead of b*tching about the Cadets speaking "drummer" during their feature, look at how well they played throughout the whole show. (Everyone who is a drummer speaks the language, why is it such a bad thing to put in a show anyway?) Instead of complaining about what part of a show was shown on the ESPN show, be glad that corps was shown at all. Instead of complaining about not seeing full shows, be glad we just saw the activity we all love so much on national television.

2) What the heck with Male Enhancement commercials?!! I have family members and friends with their families watching this show. What do they think the audience is here? I don't really want to be explaining this to my 9 year old.

Honestly, you're not gonna get away from those wherever you go. If they show 'em during football games and NASCAR races (I doubt Mark Martin's fan base is exclusively composed of adults over 18), what makes you think they wouldn't show 'em during DCI?

Did, at any time, Rondo ever say something like, "Remember, what you are seeing are small snippets of an eleven-minute show"?

I remember him saying something like that after Boston, and a couple other times during the night as well. Still would have liked to hear it more, though.

2) What the heck with Male Enhancement commercials?!! I have family members and friends with their families watching this show. What do they think the audience is here? I don't really want to be explaining this to my 9 year old.

Must be your local cable company as Comcast Central Jersey didn't have any such commercials. I only saw commercials for NAMM, Yamaha, AJ Wright, maybe some cruise ship of some sort, and random ESPN spots.

well - this was an excellent post  :huh:

I agree with your feedback on the broadcast, the features and the rationality.  Heck - I even hate the voice aspect - just like you.  Only difference is I went to worlds and tuned it out as much as possible / focused on other things -- and had a GREAT time.  Too bad they showed the mic'd part of Cadets rather than the opener which kicked serious butt.  But hey - overall the program was well-targeted and I agree - a success for their target.  DVD's are for me - not this / but this goes across better on tv.

Well put Jeff.

thanks. i couldn't tune it out, I know me. #### you should hear me after a DCA show and fan behavior...oh wait you can in the senior forum. :P

but seriously folks, we've all #####ed for years about DCI's marketing direction or lack of...well they've found their focus and this is it. Not my cup of tea, and not what I'd pay those prices for, but for the next generation who can grow up and rant about DCI in 30 years, this is for them.