You will be and are being ignored.

It's a new world folks.

Nothing new about that from DCI.

"Huge tool" indeed...

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NHL may be the bottom of the barrel of the "big four" professional sports leagues in this country, but the fact remains it is still a professional sport. Anyone who dismisses this as not a big deal (or at the very least not a big stepping stone) is just not paying attention.

If these numbers had come in with G bugles and no amps just 6 years ago people would be deliriously happy.

While I agreed with the rest of your post, I think you've got this one wrong. You just know those same people would have found something else to gripe about. :P

The NHL may be the bottom of the barrel of the "big four" professional sports leagues in this country, but the fact remains it is still a professional sport. Anyone who dismisses this as not a big deal (or at the very least not a big stepping stone) is just not paying attention.

Agreed. And as a professional sport, it has marketing, resources, and national awareness to dwarf DCI. ####, NHL news is regularly shown on ESPN. How many more could we draw if we had the NHL's luxuries?

Of course ESPN will continue to show highlihts of the NHL on SportsCenter but I believe they'll be dropping NHL Tonight from their slate, since they don't cover the games anymore. Now, if they'd fit a DCITonight show into the Trifecta, that might be something. Have Stuart Scott scream "Boo-yah!!" When Phantom does a rifle toss.

Actually, that would make me want to kill myself.

Gotta agree, this is positive news. Much as we'd all love to take shots at the NHL right now, just the fact that our one turn on the air even compares to the typical audience for any major pro sport broadcast is good news.

Gotta agree, this is positive news.  Much as we'd all love to take shots at the NHL right now, just the fact that our one turn on the air even compares to the typical audience for any major pro sport broadcast is good news.

Exactly, which was why I said WOW to start this whole discussion... 435,000 is 20 times the number of people we get at championships... and I'm sure its way less than the kind of numbers PBS would pull for a DCI broadcast. It would be interesting to see demographics on these totals -- i.e. how many were new to drum corps, fans, marching members, parents, band kids, etc. The number would not be all that impressive if its just a 10th or less that are new to drum corps, but if it was say a third of that number, and they stuck around for it, then maybe we are not such a niche thing after all, maybe we have something that interests the general audience more than we thought.

Any news on whether/how much the DCI website has experienced an uptick in traffic since the telecast?

• 3 weeks later...
The sound quality on the broadcast was kinda crappy, I thought. The sound and picture and special features on the DVDs will be exquisite. So taping the show off of TV to save yourself money spent on DVDs isn't really worth it.

All I know is, when someone has NEVER watched football before in his life, and he watches for the first time, you don't break down the finer points of the west coast offense for him. You just let him watch the catches, the runs, the kicks, and the hits! Then he'll want to know more gradually. This broadcast barely let viewers see the drum corps equivalent to "catches, runs, kicks, and hits", and instead did took us into a scientific explanation of heart rates.

That's probably because people don't think that the marching activity is demanding at all. Unfortunatly due to the fact that drum corps and marching band have a long history of being thought of as "dorky" and "wimpy" by the general modern public, they have a lot of BS to wade through before people will be attracted to it... because I think once people realize that it is in fact, one of the most physically demanding activities on the planet, they will be more attracted to it. The general public wants "MANLY" sports.

I would need all my hands, toes, and every other appendage to count the number of times I've tried to tell a football fan how demanding it is, and they say "no it isn't" or they nod as if to say "you're full of @#*$"

Edited by EuphKub79

That's probably because people don't think that the marching activity is demanding at all. Unfortunatly due to the fact that drum corps and marching band have a long history of being thought of as "dorky" and "wimpy" by the general modern public, they have a lot of BS to wade through before people will be attracted to it... because I think once people realize that it is in fact, one of the most physically demanding activities on the planet, they will be more attracted to it. The general public wants "MANLY" sports.

I would need all my hands, toes, and every other appendage to count the number of times I've tried to tell a football fan how demanding it is, and they say "no it isn't" or they nod as if to say "you're full of @#*$"

Some good points, but when you first saw drum corps, did you like it because of how difficult someone told you it was? Or did you like it because you saw it and and heard it and was just like "Wow, this is awesome! It's energetic, it's loud, it's intense, it's fun!!"

The general public wants "manly" sports, you say. Well, if you're going to say drum corps is a sport (which it is not and I don't think we should try to pass it off as a sport), then it's no less "manly" than tennis or golf, both of which have been on TV for a long time.

I don't think that the general public will be more attracted to drum corps if they know all the hard work that goes into it. There's alot of hard work that goes into playing hockey, too. Alot more than goes into basketball, I think. It's a VERY skill-oriented game. Which gets higher TV ratings in the US? In Canada and in the US's "hockey hotbeds", lots of people played hockey when they were younger, so they can relate to the game alot more, and therefore hockey is more important to the people there than anywhere else in the US. And love of hockey has nothing to do with appreciating how much work it takes to learn to skate, stickhandle, pass, or shoot.