DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha ... Jocks across the country must think we're a bunch of retards after seeing the "dream girl," or whatever she's called, from the Cadets show. That clunky "beat box" segment didn't help, either.

Smokin' drum line though ...

The jocks weren't watching. Even with all the features (which were great, including the 1993 heart rate redux), any person not interested in music is going to flip away from the station before a few minutes are up. I don't think that's something DCI can ever solve; drum corps as it is will always be a niche activity. On top of that, the television experience just isn't engaging like a live competition is... unlike a football game where watching the game on TV is almost always better than being their live (except for the atmosphere).

(IMHO of course)

Wow. It sure was quiet in the stadium that night. Did they forget to sell tickets?

Really ?! You don't stand over her and say things like "Honey, we've been playing for 45 minutes but there's been only 6 minutes of actual tile moving..." :P  :P

I do ask her to speed it up sometimes :( :P

this is gonna shock many people.

DCi did a great job.

face it, this show wasn't for us the diehards. Sure they know we'll watch ( hey it was free, so I didn't feel bad about watching...i get cable for free thanks to my development).

this show isn't about recapturing fans who have gotten ###### and left, or those ###### and on the verge of leaving.

this show is for the uninitiated, or the kids who know enough to drop a few names but don't know as much as they thought they did til they saw this. this show is for the casual viewer.

and that is where DCI scored. the breakdowns on each section, the talk about tour life, the look into design meetings, judging, etc....all well done. i really like the section design and the drill charts overlay on the screen.

will i be going back? probably not unless the voice #### is gone. when the best drumline in the world can't sing it as well as they play it, to me, creativity being stifled is a cop out. but for those who want to learn more, this broadcast did what it needed to, and for that I applaud DCI.

face it, they've basically said it, and many choose to ignore it....it's about the next generation....and this show was for them.

bravo DCI. I wish you wante dme and my kind back, but for targeting your market and delivering a show that will appeal to them, you scored that elusive number

well - this was an excellent post :huh:

I agree with your feedback on the broadcast, the features and the rationality. Heck - I even hate the voice aspect - just like you. Only difference is I went to worlds and tuned it out as much as possible / focused on other things -- and had a GREAT time. Too bad they showed the mic'd part of Cadets rather than the opener which kicked serious butt. But hey - overall the program was well-targeted and I agree - a success for their target. DVD's are for me - not this / but this goes across better on tv.

Well put Jeff.

It was right when the announcement was made that there had been a judging error for high brass (previously a tie between THE CAVALIERS and PHANTOM REGIMENT) and that the award would actually be going to THE CADETS.

Not to be mean, because I thought the Cadets did a great job, but how do you not only judge hard enough to get a single winner (the tie), but end up choosing the WRONG TWO for the title?

Yes, there was booing then ... but not when the Cadets were first announced as the champs. The booing when the brass caption award thing happened was because people were miffed at the screw-up, it wasn't directed at the Cadets, per se.

Ok, I am gonna post here what I posted on the BD board. it is negative, but it is honest. It's feedback and I hope those who are in charge read it because tomorrow I am going to have to explain to all the friends I invited to watch that what they saw was about two to three minutes of each coprs:

I am sorry, but so far (for me) this broadcast cannot suck enough.

1) I know they need to have commercials to finance the show, but this show is turning out to be one big commercial.

2) What the heck with Male Enhancement commercials?!! I have family members and friends with their families watching this show. What do they think the audience is here? I don't really want to be explaining this to my 9 year old.

3) Less segments ....more corps! I am sorry these aren't even two minute blurbs we are seeing of the corps.

When are they going to undersand that the best PR for Drum Corps is not all their poorly edited hype but the performances themselves! I really feel they short shrifting the uninitiated. Was the whole Doctor segment really necessary? Do we really need to prove how athletic our activity is? That's not our audience. I think by an hour and a half into the show people get the fact that Drum Corps is a lot of work, and I don't think another wasteful segment was necessary.

Geesh! There it is my rant. I am sorry, but I invited a lot of people to watch and I am really disappointed.

Ok, now I can go back to watching Cavalier clips.