Most Influential Instructor

PJS53

Great topic! I'm learning so much about some great instructors and love hearing how each affected one's outlook on drumming as a whole. Of course, we tend to gear toward those who have personally influenced our drumming careers and like I said in a similar topic long ago, there are so many that I could name. Narrowing it down, the guy who really pushed me in the beginning and made me strive to want to get better, (ultimate goal, to play snare drum), was a guy in SCV's bass line, early 70's, Kent Cahill. Man, he was such an inspiration, but one whom you did not want to disappoint! Secondly, was Dale Lofgren, Kingsmen, SCV '75 snare drummer who pushed chops and if it weren't for his drive and fun personality, I may have never had the chance to be taught by Terry Shalberg, Scott Johnson and Tom Float. I have such high regards for these teachers and appreciated their professionalism and respect for each player. Tom, in particular, would ask the line for their input when changing parts, etc. Man...what a joy to be around!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Rotella - teaching me the real basics of rudimental drumming and reading

Ray Luedee - for expanding my knowledge of rudimental drumming and pushing me to the next level

Pat Scollin - for pushing me to expand beyond my little community of drummers and see what others were doing

Dennis DeLucia - for teaching me how to groove and listen and have fun drumming

Bob Dubinsky - to listen and blend and demand nothing but the best

Gus Barbaro - for allowing me to improvise and have fun drumming again !

In 1985 Fred Sanford did a seminar in Western PA, and used our (GBV) line as the examples. In only a couple of hours he made some significant improvements. He had an a positive energy for us, and I would have loved to have had him for an entire season. I feel honored to spent even an afternoon with him in that fashion.

I have to shout out to Andy Yaracs showed a lot of patience with a young GBV line. He was professional, had great skills as an educator and was a creative writer. He also understood that we needed encouragement rather than intimidation. In three years he (with Tom Milchek) turned a hopeless bunch of hackers into a respectable percussion section.

Since I'm a 1980s child, I loved and admired the lines of Charlie Poole and Dennis Delucia for different reasons. But in my book, they are tops. I also liked Thom Hannum's work with the Cadets and really think he initated a paradigm shift in how the percussion ensemble approaches the drum corps project.

Recently, I've been into DCA and I think Gary Gill's work with the Cabs is pretty awesome.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

All positive, wonderful instructors.

Charlie Groh

Ron Zahn

Greg Clarke

Mike McCool

Nancy

Chris Vanacore, Frank Franko, Tollie Contento, Rich Hammond, Kevin Murphy, Chris Feist, Teddy Mascari

As a mallet player, I'm going to give a shout out to my '79 instructor Tom Nanni......

And here's a direct quote from him.....(on the teacher/student relationship)

....."as a teacher, I don't teach you anything, a good teacher just motivates a student to learn"....so true!!!! B)

Wow,...................now there is a name I haven't seen in a while,...................Tom Lived in Erie while playing with the philharmonic,.......................good friend of the now deceased Mark Marchant, who also was an excellent teacher

Edited by Gary Matczak

Gus Barbaro - for allowing me to improvise and have fun drumming again !

..............another Erie area native,.......................Gus has effected just about every percussionist in the area one way or another over the last 4 or 5 decades,.....................

just curious,........................Vic, how is it you know Gus?

Edited by Gary Matczak

Ok, for me, there were 3 people regarding Drumming which had an influence on me, not just in drumming, but in my life.

the first was Bobby Thompson-he took me as a little 11 year old, and patiently taught me the basics, rudiments and how to carry a drum. I'll always love the man.

Then, many many years later, Vic Kulinski took this "old Phart", and taught me about toned bass lines, and all the newer stuff which I was away from for so many years(including beginning to read, which was not an issue back in the ole days). talk about patience? Best of all, he never gave up on me, and encouraged me. This guy is a saint in my eyes.

Finally, there was Dennis DeLucia, who pushed me to improve my reading skills, and expand my knowledge and ability(along with Jim Mallen). I can never thank Dennis enough.

I think I was blessed in having had the best there is.........Benny