* Official * DCP Amplification Discussion

George

First of three weekly polls here as we attempt to gauge sentiment in the drum corps community on amplification.

I encourage everyone to vote in these three important surveys and offer you comments in this thread.

Week one question addresses the use of amplification in regards to human voice.

You may vote only one - here:

DCP NEWS HOME PAGE

Please keep this conversation on the actual issue - not on the individuals involved in this issue or get corps-specific - this is meant to be a positive and constructive conversation regarding the overall issue of amplification within the drum corps idiom. Anyone not sticking to the topic in a constructive manner will be banned from this thread for it's duration.

THANKS!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone on DCP have polling knowledge? I have taken some stats courses and know how to determine probable error based on sample size, but does anybody have any idea how to validate the results of these polls based on the demographics of the DCP community? It would be nice to lend some credibility to these polls, and know (to some degree) the average drum corps fans point of view.

I know whichever way this first vote comes out, people are going to say you can't run an accurate poll on DCP.

Although there are not that that many votes just yet, I'd say it IS kind of extreme in one direction so far!

Yep, it is clear..too bad it isn't for some.....

Oh sorry George wants this to be positive :sshh: :)

I know whichever way this first vote comes out, people are going to say you can't run an accurate poll on DCP.

Well, sample size is just one thing to consider. What ruins the accuracy of an internet poll is the fact that it is a non-random sample. For one, you have a very specific sort of person that is going to come onto this site, and an even more specific sort of person that is going to click on the link to this discussion.

I would venture that you are more likely to see someone against amps click on this link, rather than someone that enjoys or doesn't mind seeing voice amplified. After all, the latter group already has what it wants. Those seeking change are more likely to stay at the discussion, in the hopes of eventually getting what they want.

Of course, that's just conjecture. In the end, we can probably have a poll that speak for the regular visitors to DCP, but little more than that because of the way our sample for this poll is selected.

Well, sample size is just one thing to consider.  What ruins the accuracy of an internet poll is the fact that it is a non-random sample.  For one, you have a very specific sort of person that is going to come onto this site, and an even more specific sort of person that is going to click on the link to this discussion. 

True, but by the nature of the poll the informed voter can not be truly "random", they must have knowledge of the drum corps activity. So I guess the question that begs is this: Is the DCP community a congruous microcosm of the drum corps community as a whole?

So I guess the question that begs is this: Is the DCP community a congruous microcosm of the drum corps community as a whole?

No way of knowing. That's the problem. People will argue on both sides, but this poll proves nothing. I think George wanted it to be a jumping off point for discussing the issue of amplification, not whether or not the poll represents all drum corps fans.

The poll shows that people from this community who have voted in the poll (thus far) overwhelmingly (86.5%) believe that voice should not be amplified. Any conclusions based from that is deduction.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27