* Official * DCP Amplification Discussion

George

Oh, by the way, what happened to Chopstix?  Well, they eventually decided they wanted to do something different.  They became interested in the drum corps format, adding horns and auxiliary and eventually developing a field-competitive unit (in compliance with contest rules).  They still maintained separate exhibition units, because they enjoyed performing in that format.  But their members also enjoyed performing in the competitive drum corps format; so much so, that they too were willing to travel hundreds of miles to events like DCM Championships, and even DCA Championships this year, from their distant hometown in Minnesota.  Their performances in the competition format are thoroughly enjoyable, and not too shabby on the score sheets either.  They just won the DCA class A title.  Perhaps you've heard of them - we know them as Chops, Inc., of Minneapolis.

[shameless plug]

Listen to an interview with the director of Chops, Inc., Jeremy Kunkel, on Episode 2 of Box Center.

[/shameless plug]

And ($1 to Paul Harvey) now you know the rest of the story.

Now page 2... :D

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the shows I saw this past summer (several), I'm against any use of amps. The voice amping I heard was distorted, either too loud or to soft, and of poor quality. As far as pit amplification goes, the vast majority of them are taking it to the extreme and making it much to loud. It was frequently difficult to hear the brass and drum lines over the pit, especially when playing ballads, backfield, or facing backfield. I attend shows to see/ hear the corps' ENTIRE performance, not just the pit. I enjoyed the DCA shows I went to (again, several) much more for just that reason.

thank you for speaking up...guess that makes 13 of us non believers

(sarcasm off)

Gee, a couple hundred thousand more and you may be on to something.

Mike

Show me a couple hundred thousand who say they really want it. Heck, show me a couple hundred that really want it.

That is irrelevant, as it is legal in drum corps.

Mike

That makes 12 people, perhaps misguided.

That's why I used the word "perhaps," since most people seem to be ambivelant. B)

Of course they are ambivelant to spending lots of money on drum corps like you and I. You more than I lately.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

That's why I used the word "perhaps," since most people seem to be ambivelant. B)

Of course they are ambivelant to spending lots of money on drum corps like you and I.  You more than I lately.

What evidence do you have about them being less willing to spend $$$ on drum corps? A few anecdotal stories is hardly evidence.

Mike