* Official * DCP Amplification Discussion

George

Sadly, I don't think this is the case.  Madison parted ways with their extremely crowd pleasing shows after the 90's to remain competitive. When the choice is made between pleasing the judges and pleasing the fans, the fans will lose.

I'm not sure I'm getting your point. 2000-2002 saw their worst placements in like, 30 years. I wouldn't call that remaining competitive. This year they went back to well known literature with Carmen, and got back into the top 6 for the first time since 1999. Are you thinking that this is a parallel type of situation with the amped vocal issue - that corps are using amped vocals to please the judges, and that you think corps will soon think they "need" to use them in order to stay competitive?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I don't think this is the case.  Madison parted ways with their extremely crowd pleasing shows after the 90's to remain competitive. When the choice is made between pleasing the judges and pleasing the fans, the fans will lose.

How can you say that? Did you SEE them in 2002?

As for Carmen in 2005..how is THAT not "crowd pleasing"?

Heck, the Caballeros were doing a Carmen show back in 63.

And as for pleasing judges...IMO corps do a good job overall in pleasing their fans AND the judges...not every corps hits a home run every year, but on the whole, they do fine in my book.

The corps that score highest are generally the ones that perform the best...IMO.

Mike

How can you say that? Did you SEE them in 2002?

It wasn't as pleasing as the shows of the '90s. Not even close, judging by audience reaction.

The corps that score highest are generally the ones that perform the best...IMO.

Mike

But not always the most crowd pleasing, thus the descrepency.

seems to me from reading all over the net, the crowd in Fixboro was the deadest in a long time.

Carmen was good, but it wasn't the same. The Scouts brass sound is just as tame and restrained sounding as everyone else in DCI now...that's how you have to play to win. Madison almost made me cry at the end of 1997 and I nearly had an accident in 1999. I had not even a goosebump, no shivers, nothing in 2005.

Yes, the corps that PERFORMS the best usually receives the highest score. The part of judging that I referred to as "sad" is that it seems what is deemed "GE" is changing from something that makes you go "HOLY F***" to something that makes you go "Hmmmmm"

I prefer the former moments.

Edited by Slow Adam

I'm not sure I'm getting your point.  2000-2002 saw their worst placements in like, 30 years.  I wouldn't call that remaining competitive.  This year they went back to well known literature with Carmen, and got back into the top 6 for the first time since 1999.  Are you thinking that this is a parallel type of situation with the amped vocal issue - that corps are using amped vocals to please the judges, and that you think corps will soon think they "need" to use them in order to stay competitive?

And after missing finals in 2002 with a crowd pleasing show (granted it had performance and design issues, but it was geared towards the fans, not the judges IMO) they had a total reform of their philosophy, and have toned things down considerably. Remember when you could tell a Scouts show apart from others by the sound of the corps on the CD??? I can't do that anymore.

so...have we seen any real proof amplification is creating new fans?

Well for starters there are the amp salesmen....

no i was serious. in some of the original discussions used to justify it's passage was that it would open the doors to new, unstifled creativity that would draw in new fans.