* Official * DCP Amplification Discussion

George

The poll is open to ALL that lurk or post here. George can fill you in with the specifics regarding unique hits. To dismiss DCP as some hole in the wall, irrelevant place where nobody of substance, or nothing of importance happens here is negligent to both you and the drum corps community.

How much more extreme do the numbers have to be ? How many polls need to be taken ?? Heres one: Tell DCI to poll every single paying customer as they leave the stadiums next summer, will that satisfy anyone ??

~G~

One thing this poll will fail to take into consideration the number of past fans who have already left because of amps and singing. So these voices would not be heard in the poll. Again the poll would be skewed toward those who care enough to go to a show now.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the majority of "once a year" casual fans don't really give a hoot.  So, the question then becomes, do we allow this because the casual fan doesn't care either way, or do we cater to the passionate because they will be the biggest supporters and the biggest advocates.  Under that guide line, then I think the DCP is reflective of the attitudes of the passionate drum corps fans.

And those are many of the people who hated bells when BAC used them...who hated the Scouts, Cavies, and Cadets for daring to use themed shows and in our case pass out a libretto...who hated the idea of guards progressing beyond simple spins and pointing flags this way and that into more advanced guard work...and who hated 2 and then 3 valve horns at all, G or Bb/F...who hated when visual programs became free and not tied to set-piece drill designs. Starting on the field? How could they! Ending on the field? Ridiculous!

Many of the passionate drum corps fans are not going to embrace lots of change...they love drum corps the way it is....that's why they are passionate about it. Others, just as passionate though my guess is fewer in number, like the idea of experimentation and trying new things. Some of those who liked the new things when they marched are probably some of those who hate the new things of today. Pretty ironic to me. Today people wax euphorically over Bayonne coming out with the banana unis in 76....at that time a lot of the passionate drum corps legacy fans HATED them. Not all, of course...but a lot. Today...they are properly remembered as one of the greatest corps of all time.

Mike

Well, if fan opinion and member opinion don't mesh with his vision, then that is a shame.

Why? He is one director who has a vision. He is operating within the defined structure of DCI to make some of the changes...but he can only do so when a majority of the voting BOD agress with him. He can't do it all by himself. Why is that a shame? As for member opinion...I don't see the Cadets missing out on having lots of great young people auditioning.

Mike

Now, to clear up a little bit of what Cvalda is all about.  Bjork is going blind in the movie...  She says that basically, the only way she can do her job at the factory is by memorizing the rhythm and sound of the machines coming together....thus making music.  She then spouts off a number of noises that machines make, and the song begins.  It's a very neat concept. 

The Cadets pulled it off pretty well...as far as the "song" coming together at that moment.  I think it would have been a better effect to play "I've Seen It All" where the train noise becomes the percussive element in the track. 

SMM

Thanks, I checked out Bjork and now at least I know where Cadets were coming from, but saying I understand what they were doing may still be a bit of an overstatement! :P

Jeez, makes me feel like a cave man!

Why? He is one director who has a vision. He is operating within the defined structure of DCI to make some of the changes...but he can only do so when a majority of the voting BOD agress with him. He can't do it all by himself. Why is that a shame? As for member opinion...I don't see the Cadets missing out on having lots of great young people auditioning.

Mike

Sorry, should have been more clear. I was trying to say that IF the member opinion didn't mesh with what he wanted to do (not saying that's what necessarily has or is happening now), and he does it anyway, then that would be a shame. It's just that that attitude seems to favor the director's opinion being more important than the members, as if its HIS corps. I feel that the corps belongs to the members, and then the fans, first.

Sorry, should have been more clear.  I was trying to say that IF the member opinion didn't mesh with what he wanted to do (not saying that's what necessarily has or is happening now), and he does it anyway, then that would be a shame.  It's just that that attitude seems to favor the director's opinion being more important than the members, as if its HIS corps. I feel that the corps belongs to the members, and then the fans, first.

IMO...

Well, his job is to make the decisions for the Cadets...whatever they may be. Every corps director has, I'm sure, made decisions in the best interest of the corps that maybe some portion of the membership doesn't really like.

Running an organization like the Cadets is not a democracy, IMO, so as long as he is making decisions he truly thinks are in the interest of the Cadets and DCI I have no problem with them. Just as I have no issue with those who disagree with him and vote the other way on issues.

I don't think he views the corps as "his" corps...but he takes the responsibility of running the corps very seriously. And really, as for show design opinions, his opinion and the staff in general are the ones that are most important.

The overall success of those decisions is shown by the numbers showing up at camp each year, and the quality of performers amongst those trying out. Seems to me that area is strong for The Cadets.

Mike

Well, his job is to make the decisions for the Cadets...whatever they may be. Every corps director has, I'm sure, made decisions in the best interest of the corps that maybe some portion of the membership doesn't really like.

Running an organization like the Cadets is not a democracy, IMO, so as long as he is making decisions he truly thinks are in the interest of the Cadets and DCI I have no problem with them. Just as I have no issue with those who disagree with him and vote the other way on issues.

I can't disagree with that. I shouldn't have made reference to a specific person or corps; it is merely my opinion that any director in general should pay attention to and consider the opinions of their members and fans, especially IF there is a vast majority of them that feel strongly about a particular issue.

I can't disagree with that.  I shouldn't have made reference to a specific person or corps; it is merely my opinion that any director in general should pay attention to and consider the opinions of their members and fans, especially IF there is a vast majority of them that feel strongly about a particular issue.

We're sort of inching towards each other, I think! :P

I do like the idea of at least talking things over with the members...explaining the show design and decisions being made, but as for the audience? I don't know how you'd ever do that in a meaningful way...nor do I think it all that important to do so.

The audience will let you know if you made a good choice or not in their overall view. If your show was a 'bummer', better luck next year. That's not really any different than it was 30 or 40 years ago.

Mike

The Cadets drum speak was nothing more than a practice session highlighted on the field, cant see as to how it was a key part of the show/story, and quite frankly, if anything, it was "musical" and the bottom line it was "performed" by the kids. Not needed, not liked by me, but it hey........

"Bjorkspeak" However, was silly, to me, embarassing, and quite childish. wether it had anything to do with the story is irrelevant,I thought it was out of place. Just because you can recreate something, doesnt mean you should. A low point on creative liberty, IMO.

~G~

Haha, I totally agree, man. :beer::blink::beer:

...Wait, there was a story to that show?

//I sit and watch as things fly directly over my head... WOOSH!

Edited by zachariaswmb

The audience will let you know if you made a good choice or not in their overall view. If your show was a 'bummer', better luck next year. That's not really any different than it was 30 or 40 years ago.

Sadly, I don't think this is the case. Madison parted ways with their extremely crowd pleasing shows after the 90's to remain competitive. When the choice is made between pleasing the judges and pleasing the fans, the fans will lose.

Edited by Slow Adam