DIVII corps moving to DIV. I

Impulse might be a good candidate for Division I. They have gone to great lengths to tighten up their show and brought in Pat Seidling as a consultant last summer. They definately have the talent.

Just my thoughts,

Michael

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that at least 2 of the applicants for Division I applied this year, just so their intentions would be clear for '07.... Just speculating. B)

Impulse might be a good candidate for Division I. They have gone to great lengths to tighten up their show and brought in Pat Seidling as a consultant last summer. They definately have the talent.

:sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

Must not talk...must not talk...must keep my mouth shut...I must....

But uhhhhhhhhh....

Yeah....

To say the least about Impulse!!!

:laugh:

A possible reason why the midwest has earlier shows than the west coast, at least, is because northwest schools get out a lot later than schools in other parts of the country, so corps members based in the northwest don't get to rehearse full time (or they have to try and make complicated arrangements) until later in the season.

A possible reason why the midwest has earlier shows than the west coast, at least, is because northwest schools get out a lot later than schools in other parts of the country, so corps members based in the northwest don't get to rehearse full time (or they have to try and make complicated arrangements) until later in the season.

Same with the east coast. My kids in Kansas get out May 18th this year, while NJ historically gets out mid-June and NY around 6/25 or 6/26. When I marched in a corps from NY we could never compete the fourth weekend in June because that was graduation Sunday for all the schools around us.

Here's a good question to think about, though -- if you have a successful, good quality, and financially sound D2 corps that's perfectly fine being what it is ... what are the arguments *FOR* moving up to D1? And would you rather be a top-six D2 corps or an "also ran" in D1, hovering between 15th and 25th place?

Here's a good question to think about, though -- if you have a successful, good quality, and financially sound D2 corps that's perfectly fine being what it is ... what are the arguments *FOR* moving up to D1? And would you rather be a top-six D2 corps or an "also ran" in D1, hovering between 15th and 25th place?

I think it's been stated before, I'm sure.

Get paid more money are a DIV 1 corps.

Believe it or not, there are people out here who look at drum corps as more than being the best and winning. Once you've been a very successful DIV 2 corps that has been on top for a few years, Maybe it's a good thing to move up to a division that is more of a challenge. I would much rather be a "lower" DIV 1 knowing theres ALOT of room to grow and get to the top of a more challenging division. And it's a life lesson for the members. It's not always about winning, it's about how good you think you did and be proud of what you did.

Seattle Cascades were DIV 2 for a while they competed in DIV 1 quarters and semis a few years, went to DIV 1 and made finals. Cap Reg and Mandarins have been in DIV for 3 years now and they're slowing easing up the scale.

My dad said that he talked to someone with Spartans at finals and asked why they've never moved up to Div. I. The response was similar to your reasoning.

From what I heard, Oregon Crusaders applied for Div. I status before tour even started last spring. I have no idea if this is true, but it would account for the missing "4th corps to apply". The impression I got from various staff members last season during camps was that we wanted to follow a similar path to that of Seattle Cascades, but we'll just have to wait and see if what actually happens.

EDIT: So it looks like Blue Stars ARE D1 next year: http://www.bluestars.org/story.php?story_id=321

AND the Troopers won't be fielding a competitive corps this year: http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=e...d5-2238fac92dc1

Interesting that they happen in the same year...

Edited by B0Boman

I think it's been stated before, I'm sure.

Get paid more money are a DIV 1 corps.

Sure thing. You might get paid higher appearance fees as a D1 corps, but it's also a whole lot more expensive to operate

Believe it or not, there are people out here who look at drum corps as more than being the best and winning. Once you've been a very successful DIV 2 corps that has been on top for a few years, Maybe it's a good thing to move up to a division that is more of a challenge. I would much rather be a "lower" DIV 1 knowing theres ALOT of room to grow and get to the top of a more challenging division. And it's a life lesson for the members. It's not always about winning, it's about how good you think you did and be proud of what you did.

I'm not sure how that has anything to do with what I asked.

Seattle Cascades were DIV 2 for a while they competed in DIV 1 quarters and semis a few years, went to DIV 1 and made finals. Cap Reg and Mandarins have been in DIV for 3 years now and they're slowing easing up the scale.

Pioneer won D2 and D3 a couple of times, moved up to D1, and now languish at the bottom of the division, probably getting less respect and less exposure than they would if they were still in D2.