Whats going on?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, there are people who don't like the Cadets style and just don't want to march there. Same with Crossmen. Not everyone is looking for a ring.

You can try out for either corps on Nov 18-20 in Pennsville or Dec 10 in Dallas or Dec 11 in Houston. I spent two and half days listening to all the kids try out a few years back and can guarantee you that the kids check either trying out for Cadets only, Crossmen only, or Both. There's no pressure on the kids to go either way. It's not like a great kid walks in to try out for Crossmen only and the Cadets guys convince him to march with them, or vice versa.

I heard this really does happen. Someone who is trying out for both or just Crossmen and they tell this person that they have earned a spot in the Cadets. There are alot of rumors and I think Hopkins should clear this up once and for all.

I heard this really does happen. Someone who is trying out for both or just Crossmen and they tell this person that they have earned a spot in the Cadets. There are alot of rumors and I think Hopkins should clear this up once and for all.

In my 4 years of teaching the Bones brass, I only made it up to the International Auditions once so I can only speak of that year. I sat in on all the auditions cause at that time I was one of the two people officially on the Crossmen brass staff as we were in between caption heads. Not once all weekend did one kid that wanted just Crossmen get offered a Cadets spot. I was good friends with the Cadets guys that were there and would have whamped them one if they did that to me. Now if a kid tried out for both and made a spot with the Cadets, then good for them.

Feel free to send your questions for Mr. Hopkins to me for inclusion in Livewire!

The original poster didn't exactly ask if it were true, but moreso state it as fact.

I disagree, based on the fact that the poster's first line is "I need some one to clear up a few points."

Believe it or not, there are people who don't like the Cadets style and just don't want to march there. Same with Crossmen. Not everyone is looking for a ring.

whoa whoa whoa....i understand your point. it is CLEARLY a valid one...not everyone who goes to the YEA International Camp is looking for a spot at cadets. but to imply that everyone who IS auditioning for the cadets is focused only on getting a ring...that's a little insulting to them, i think. again, not saying your point is valid...but be careful of your words next time.

whoa whoa whoa....i understand your point. it is CLEARLY a valid one...not everyone who goes to the YEA International Camp is looking for a spot at cadets. but to imply that everyone who IS auditioning for the cadets is focused only on getting a ring...that's a little insulting to them, i think. again, not saying your point is valid...but be careful of your words next time.

w/Stp: keep the stupid part in though...

Guys he was asking the question and you guys are on him for just doing so!!! Geez!

Anyways, I was with a guy back in 2000 who auditioned for Cadets. He made the line but then was injured during the winter and couldn't march. A few weeks into the summer he was offered to fill a whole with Crossmen. I think the music that Crossmen was playing was some of the stuff that he had originally read while with Cadets.

I think its great that the corps can draw from some of the same people. Not that they put the better kids in one place or another, just where they fit best.

It doesn't appear they are auditioning together at all this year since the Cadets are going to be in the Macys day parade.

There is a joint audition weekend during November 18-20.