Carolina Crown this year was the closest thing we've he9ard to G b

I guess I'll have to disagree. Sitting in the lower section at Allentown I expected to be blown into New Jersey by Madisons 72 horns, it just didn't happen. Now, perhaps it's more an issue of "musical correctness" than the inbility to do so.

Well..Acoustics at Allentown are ....interesting

That stadium swallows up sound like nobodys business. With the new track, the stands are a country mile from the field.

Also, that stadium and its unique acoutstics also seem to expose any sound issues you might have. A well known rule for brass caption heads is that you better not suck at East..because if you do you will really suck.. <**>

Edited by tubamann

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the tone is the same, it's getting better, but not quite there yet. Cavies 2001 and BD 2004 are two shows that immediatley come to mind as being very top heavy and hollow sounding, something I (and others) have noticed with Bb lines. So far, SCV 2004 is my favourite Bb drum corps show, but it still doesn't compare to the power of SCV 2000, Phantom 1996, Madison 1995, 96, 97.

Could it also be due to a changing philosophy in brass performanceand not just a change in instrumentation? Maybe.

IMO (and I've said it a bunch of times now :))Bb brass lines lack that dark rich sound quality of G brass lines, and are noticably quieter.

The Cavaliers and Blue Devils have always seemed top heavy and hollow sounding to me. I don't hear a difference, and the lines seem just as loud to me. We will never have a side by side comparison with the same players and the same tunes, so there really no way of knowing.

I've noticed that every brand of Bb horns can carry a different tone depending on the music and the players. BD is always top heavy.

04 SCV good choice.... I think 02 Cavies and Phantom 03-05 can be in that category.

For awhile I thought that Bb horns didn't produce as much sound as G horns. So many lines have proved that wrong. Madison can still push the stadium back, and watchih Crown front row with leave your ears ringing.

Early Bb/F horns used were prmarily off-the-shelf (e.g. Cadets 2000 Yamahas). Today's Bb/F horns have the larger bore sizes as the G horns do, making the difference in inherent volume even less than before. Different brands do tend to have characteristics. My own faves today are the King horns as used by PR and Crown, based on the result of hearing those corps. PR using all Euphoniums is my own #1, with Crown close behind.

Mike

I think it's mostly about intonation.

I thought Carolina's hornline was one of the most balanced and blended and in-tune hornlines this year, and that's why they sounded so loud. Why was their intonation so good? Probably because their staff emphasized it, but how did they achieve it? I don't think that what kind of horns they're playing on makes a difference. You can argue that Bb's are easier to play in tune than G's, but unless the person playing that horn can hear how their part fits in with the harmonic structure and knows how to adjust so that they fit in perfectly, then the type of horn makes no difference. I'd like to find out what kinds of ear training exercises they did to increase their musical understanding.

I think it's mostly about intonation.

I thought Carolina's hornline was one of the most balanced and blended and in-tune hornlines this year, and that's why they sounded so loud. Why was their intonation so good? Probably because their staff emphasized it, but how did they achieve it? I don't think that what kind of horns they're playing on makes a difference. You can argue that Bb's are easier to play in tune than G's, but unless the person playing that horn can hear how their part fits in with the harmonic structure and knows how to adjust so that they fit in perfectly, then the type of horn makes no difference. I'd like to find out what kinds of ear training exercises they did to increase their musical understanding.

Yeah, I think a lot of corps figured out how to play pretty well in tune on G's. (1990 Star is a good example).

What I find to be interesting is how corps maintain their sound over a season. I have seen some at early shows come STRONG out of the gate, only to sound ragged and tired by finals. Soloists, too. Nails in June, airing out in August.

If the brass staff is emphasizing fundamentals, this will likely not happen. I'm guessing Crown had a fundamentals routine that they did 3-4 times a day. (Any Crown brass out there to confirm this?)

The hornlines that are going to sound the most "in tune" are the ones that practice ensemble fundamentals for a few hours or more each day.

Most corps "warmup" and "work on music" but never do anything more than that. That's the problem with most hornlines.

B) I have the answer that you are all looking for.... It is sooo simple that you will feel stupid.

BREATHE DAH...... It really is that simple :P

Thier brass philosophy works.... I think Star got the Jim Ott's to prove it

Simple as that :rolleyes:

Talent has nothing to do with a great hornline. The real question is how dedicated can you be to a program. The real test comes when a staff that knows how to be great gives you the tools to be great. What are you going to do with those tools? If you buy into the program.... they teach you everything you need to know about greatness. Then when the time comes, it is our job to give that knowledge to others. If a hornline wants to be great... Just go back to the basics!!! It doesnt matter if it is a Bb line or a G line. Breathing is still the same and the basic fundamentals of playing are the same. If you want to have a great hornline, equip your members with the knowledge required to someday have a hornline of thier own.

BREATHE DAH: so simple yet so amazingly effective

Early Bb/F horns used were prmarily off-the-shelf (e.g. Cadets 2000 Yamahas). Today's Bb/F horns have the larger bore sizes as the G horns do, making the difference in inherent volume even less than before. Different brands do tend to have characteristics. My own faves today are the King horns as used by PR and Crown, based on the result of hearing those corps. PR using all Euphoniums is my own #1, with Crown close behind.

Mike

Yup, the best sounding hornline out there are Phantom, Crown and Blue Knights. I think they all use kings. Have big solid bottom with dominant alto voice with the sops adding the topping on the cake.

Yes, Crown does lots of fundamentals exercises all throughout the audition camps and camps up until march/april, and they continue to work on just fundamentals throughout the season. Also, they have a very good contra section(at least this past year), and a quite accomplished low brass in general. They really do have an amazing sound. I was absolutely blown away by them at their home competitions in north and south carolina, and they just had this sound that was very "angelic", which made it suitable to their show.