is drum corps a sport?

is drum corps a sport?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. is drum corps a sport?

• yes
    • no

In a sport, one would not think of the audience's entertainment, as opposed to drum corps, where we place a very large importance on entertainment value.

So how do you explain Major League Baseball, the NFL and the NHL? Sports are entertainment, no matter how you slice it. You don't pay fifty bucks to go to a footall game if you're not there to be entertained.

Monica

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that bocce ball and darts are more sport than drum corps is, because there isn't a judge to grade performance subjectively. They're very objective, and there is SOME physical skill involved. Maybe not as much physical skill as hockey or football or drum corps, but there is physical skill. In other words, you can't just look at the bulls-eye on a dartboard and win. You have to actually physically THROW the dart where you want it to go.

The physical skill required for drum corps is right up there with track, hockey, baseball, basketball, lacrosse, lots of sports. But these sports are more objective. Yes, sometime there's some objectivity involved in officiating (like fouls in basketball for example), but the refs don't shoot the ball, they don't pass the ball, they don't rebound the ball, and they don't steal the ball. The players do that. The players DIRECTLY determine what the score is. In drum corps and competitive cheerleading and figure skating, the judges directly determine what the score is. Not the participants.

Anyone remember the controversy back in 2002 in the winter Olympics, with the ice dancing (or pairs skating, or whatever). They found out about some politicking going on and awarded 2 sets of golds to make up for the mistake? I'll never forget what Bob Costas said about that situation. He said something like "the judges have to do something that can't be done, which is to quantify art".

Drum corps is athletic, yes it is competitive, it is musical and artistic, but it is not sport. But I don't think we have to call it sport in order to validate it!

I think your post says it all. :worthy:

Sports: Volleyball, basketball, baseball, hockey.

Non-sports: NASCAR (The cars play too much of a roll), Drum Corps, gymnastics, figure skating, darts.

Here's how I define a sport:

First and foremost, there is a governing body that makes rules and sanctions contests or events. DCI has this in its board of directors (and Nascar has Mike Helton)

Also, it must be possible to directly prevent your opponents from winning, While Nascar might have this, drum corps does not, so while it may have competitive and athletic aspects to it, it's not a sport by my definition.

Golf is a sport. You win by improving your own game and lowering your score.

Drum Corps is a sport. You win by improving your own show and raising your score. IMO :)

Edited by Skylinersop16

Golf is a sport. You win by improving your own game and lowering your score.

Drum Corps is a sport. You win by improving your own show and raising your score. IMO :)

True, but in golf, you can't do something like tackle your opponent while he's teeing off. That's what I meant by "directly preventing your opponent from winning"; doing something that will actively hinder his chances of winning. So for Nascar, it would be either blocking or spinning out your opponent, baseball it would be striking out an opposing batter, running over the catcher on the way to home plate, etc. You can't really do something like that ind rum corps.

Pulled this from DCI.org from about a year and a half ago:

Drum corps is a sport: An essay

Going by any definition given in any dictionary, Drum Corps is a sport. Going by the definitions that members on the forum have given, then no it isn't.

My thought is that it doesn't realy matter. My love for the activity would not be changed if it were decided either way that it was/was not a sport (though I might give a big cheer if it was).