is drum corps a sport?

is drum corps a sport?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. is drum corps a sport?

• yes
    • no

Aha... So basically, whether we consider it to be sport or not, it's not necessarily in our best interest pass it off as sport to outsiders! I agree with the above also.

But my next question is... Is baseball considered a sport if it's played by wookiees?

Apparently so given by the picture that is posted :P

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So ok, someone will now reply saying "well if marching band is a sport, why not cheerleading?" And my response will be "WHOA, STOP!!" Is marching band a sport? is not what this thread is asking, the question is Is drum corps a sport? - two completely different things in my opinion, and that of many other people whom I know."

So marching band isn't a sport because it has woodwinds?

:P

1. Drum corps/marching band is not currently considered a sport by the general populus. It's just not.

2. Whether anyone here wants it to or not, the chances of it ever being considered a sport by the general populus are slim to none.

3. Many people within the drum corps/marching band activity consider it to be a sport.

4. Many people within the drum corps/marching band activity consider it NOT to be a sport...we can't even decide amongst ourselves.

5. The push to have drum corps/marching band recognized as a sport is overwhelmingly coming from those within the activity, not from anyone outside the activity.

6. Drum corps/marching band has survived a century without it being considered a sport by the general populus. It has remained a viable competitive activity in all that time. It is validated for what it is, even though it has never been considered a sport. It is no less an amazing activity because of it.

Thank you. Great points. And #6 is sort of what I've been trying to say: After all these years, why do we need drum & bugle corps to be considered a "sport" when it's already so incredible in and of itself? In what way does calling it a sport make it better than it already is?

i dont know why you would think that its not a sport

the end results are based SOLEY on opinion, while in a "sport" opinion plays little OR NO part in the end result....this has been stated before, and i will state it again...do you have a responce?

the end results are based SOLEY on opinion, while in a "sport" opinion plays little OR NO part in the end result....this has been stated before, and i will state it again...do you have a responce?

Response:

SPORTS like diving, gymnastics and figure skating have scores based SOLEY on opinion, Just like drum corps.

Thank you. Great points. And #6 is sort of what I've been trying to say: After all these years, why do we need drum & bugle corps to be considered a "sport" when it's already so incredible in and of itself? In what way does calling it a sport make it better than it already is?

I don't know that calling drum corps a sport does make it any better. I call it a sport because it is one. That simple. How does insisting that drum corps is not a sport make it any better?

The only issue I have with your response are the words "need" and "better"....who ever said that?.....if anyone did I would agree with you 100%....It is funny how other sports do not go back and forth on the a topic like this...."are we or are we not a sport".....it's just a little comical! IMO, sport, art,...it does not change the fact for me that I do not care too much for todays drum corps sporting events....

Edited by felixh

So earlier people were saying how the dictionary works both ways and since the word sport wasn't in the definition of Drum Corps then it couldn't be one.

Well I was bored so I did a little looking at both www.dictionary.com and www.webster.com.

I looked at football, baseball, basketball, hockey soccer. None of those five had the word sport in their definition. They all said game. Well football had the word sport on the page (dictionary.com) but it wasn't in the actual definition. Oh well.

I also looked up Drum and Bugle Corps on webster. com. It didn't have it. It suggested dermatologists....

So marching band isn't a sport because it has woodwinds?

:P

Ok here is a scenario for you... would you consider college marching band a sport? I sure as anything wouldn't - I work more just walking to marching band rehearsal than I actually do while AT marching band... college marching band is a joke!

Now, if you called marching band and drum corps the same thing that would almost imply that they are set at the same level - I came from a HIGHLY competitive high school marching band, practicing 4 days a school week 3 hours a day plus a 12 hour rehearsal on saturdays plus competitions on most weekends and drum corps doesn't compare to my hs band AT ALL!!

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong but marching band and drum corps are two totally different animals... Marching band is your house cat - drum corps is your tiger...

Response:

SPORTS like diving, gymnastics and figure skating have scores based SOLEY on opinion, Just like drum corps.

IF you consider those activities to be sports. Some people do not, because scores are based on opinion, and I think they have a good point.

I don't know that calling drum corps a sport does make it any better. I call it a sport because it is one. That simple. How does insisting that drum corps is not a sport make it any better?

Because it's not good to call our activity something that it is not. If the people who ran WWE tried to market its product as "sport", people would not take it seriously at all. It would be a joke because everyone and their mom can tell that it's fake, that it's scripted and it's stunts. But they call it "sports entertainment", and people can take it seriously as entertainment and not "sport", even though they know it's scripted acting and stunts.

Ok here is a scenario for you... would you consider college marching band a sport? I sure as anything wouldn't - I work more just walking to marching band rehearsal than I actually do while AT marching band... college marching band is a joke!

Now, if you called marching band and drum corps the same thing that would almost imply that they are set at the same level - I came from a HIGHLY competitive high school marching band, practicing 4 days a school week 3 hours a day plus a 12 hour rehearsal on saturdays plus competitions on most weekends and drum corps doesn't compare to my hs band AT ALL!!

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong but marching band and drum corps are two totally different animals... Marching band is your house cat - drum corps is your tiger...

I think the level of physical skill needed in drum corps vs. marching band is irrelevant because, once again, going back to scores being based on opinion. Of course, if the marching band in question doesn't compete, then the answer is even simpler.

If you don't think college marching band is as physically demanding, well I guess that depends on which band you're in. Judging by your avatar, I'm guessing it's Miami U., but I could be wrong. I'm sure people in the marching bands at Michigan or Wisconsin or Florida A&M might tell you how much of a workout they get being in their bands.