best brass sound

Yes, I do, which - along with '02 - takes them right out of the running for best sound of the 2000's...

well, along those lines i would argue that based on '00 and especially '01 the Cavaliers would be taken out of the running as well. '02 and beyond has been very, very strong and consistent for them though. Their balance, blend, and tone quality have been amazing...BUT i do agree with others that i would like to hear more power and see them push their limits up a notch or two. I think thats why when a "best sound" thread pops up I have to mention the Cavaliers, but when a "favorite brassline" thread pops up they dont usually make my list.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of how entertaining or how difficult you thought their brass book was, who do you think had the most gorgeous, lush, and mature sounding brass line? The best tone quality, intonation, and voicing?

Based on this criteria:

I can say without hesitation that in my own personal experience the hornline that had the most gorgeous, lush, mature sound with the best tone quality, intonation and voicing (notice he didn't say anything about loudness or power) would be the 1988 Blue Devils hornline.

Absolutely amazing to listen to live. It was like listening to a large professional jazz orchestra.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Considering that the two shows in question were both Cavaliers shows, I fail to see what that has to do with anything.
Yes, I do, which - along with '02 - takes them right out of the running for best sound of the 2000's...
Of course you do, but after reading all your other posts, I'm guessing you feel that way because you didn't hear "On the field, sponsored by Youth Education in the Arts..." before the beginning of the show. ^_^

Haha, three in a row, Matt! Nice!

Though its not my favorite brass sound, and I wouldn't usually call it "exciting" (except for 00, 03, and 04; which all seemed to relatively have a BIT more....edge, you could say, to them), you really can't say the Cavaliers had a bad sound. If 2002 Cavaliers sounded thin, I'm terrified to ask what BD's hornline sounds like. Really, put personal opinions of the corps aside and listen.....there really isn't much bad you can say about their brass sound.

I'm still really curious to see what people think of my choices....on page 2, I believe? BD '98, Glassmen '99 (and also '98), etc.....

Edited by Jared_mello

Based on this criteria:

I can say without hesitation that in my own personal experience the hornline that had the most gorgeous, lush, mature sound with the best tone quality, intonation and voicing (notice he didn't say anything about loudness or power) would be the 1988 Blue Devils hornline.

Absolutely amazing to listen to live. It was like listening to a large professional jazz orchestra.

:laugh::huh::huh:

That's definitely one show I'd love to have seen live. Granted I probably would have cried my ### off because i was one year old, but if I had a time machine.....yeah.

Edited by Jared_mello

Based on this criteria:

:laugh::huh::huh:

1988 Blue Devils get my vote as well!

QUOTE(Triple Forte @ Oct 10 2005, 06:23 PM)

Phantom (Remember 03 ??)

I think the statement above is a bit harsh......(Not 2002)

If you ask drum corps fans what they remember from the 2003 season they are more than likely going to say "Phantoms awesome sounding hornline" I don't remember for sure but I believe that Phantoms hornline beat BDs' line a couple of times in 03......

Triple Forte

I agree that Phantom's hornline sounded great at times. I saw them in Indy when they won brass, and they sounded phenomenal. The problem came when they chose to emphasize the emotion of their show, and ended up pushing themselves past their limits, especially in the lower voices. My theory is that they knew what an emotional and well-received product they had, and they chose to play to that strength. Not that there's anything wrong with that as far as the fan is concerned, except when we're talking specifically about sound.

I don't remember for sure but I believe that Phantoms hornline beat BDs' line a couple of times in 03......

Phantom's hornline only ever beat the top 2 hornlines at Indy. Steve Calhoun was the judge.

He is also the judge that gave BD a 20 at Quarterfinals in '04.

Take from that what you will.

I don't mean to be rude, but I just can't take anyone seriously who has this opinion.

I don't mean to be rude, but that's a pretty childish thing to say. :lolhit:

I'll get by.

For the record, I don't equate best brass sound with best brass overall. In '00, I'd give the edge to BD for the overall score...with The Cadets 2nd and the Cavies 3rd. I just liked the overall sound of the Cavies' brass line in '00 over '02. And I definitely think the Cavies deserved high brass in '02, too.