Renegades announce 2006 Brass Arranger.

Guess you do what ever it takes to get to the top. Isn't that what Steinbrenner does with the yankees get the good player to his organization. Although they can only play for one team at a time.

I think that analogy only works if he were, for example, going to be drum major for both corps ... or maybe even a full-time instructor, which is also not the case for either corps.

Someone who is a professional composer and arranger, by definition, works for many different musical organizations. Think of it as Steve Speilberg directing two films in one year. Yeah, at the end of the day they compete at the box office, but both films are completely different from one another, and the audience can see and appreciate both for what they are.

Renegades and Cabs are both exciting corps who are very good at what they do ... but what they do is as different as comparing apples to television sets. These two corps are only at the same show exactly two days a year, and don't even play instruments in the same key, no pun intended.

So, I think the dual-corps role is interesting, but not such a big deal as it might appear at first blush.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good new is there is no need for either group to worry (as Lee just stated) because this is what I do for a living. You can bet I will give both corps my VERY BEST work. To answer one question, Steve Brubaker did Star and The Cavaliers the same year. (I was working with The Cavaliers on both the visual and brass staffs at the time). I'm not really certain if anyone has done this in terms of arranging/composing. I know that both corps have a different vision of how they want things done and I definitely see them as 2 very different and exciting animals. I work well under each system as my main gig involves writing for many groups each year with their own "way of doing things". I can guarantee that both corps will have a different sound, flavor, style, etc... and I have no intention of "changing" the sound of the Renegades especially when Ed Teleky has some amazingly large shoes to fill. I must send a heartfelt and public thank you to the administrations of both the Renegades and the Hawthorne Caballeros for allowing this great opportunity to work with fantastic (all-age) people from the East Coast to the West. Cheers to a great 2006 DCA season! I'll be signing off DCP until after finals... :)

The good new is there is no need for either group to worry (as Lee just stated) because this is what I do for a living. You can bet I will give both corps my VERY BEST work. To answer one question, Steve Brubaker did Star and The Cavaliers the same year. (I was working with The Cavaliers on both the visual and brass staffs at the time). I'm not really certain if anyone has done this in terms of arranging/composing. I know that both corps have a different vision of how they want things done and I definitely see them as 2 very different and exciting animals. I work well under each system as my main gig involves writing for many groups each year with their own "way of doing things". I can guarantee that both corps will have a different sound, flavor, style, etc... and I have no intention of "changing" the sound of the Renegades especially when Ed Teleky has some amazingly large shoes to fill. I must send a heartfelt and public thank you to the administrations of both the Renegades and the Hawthorne Caballeros for allowing this great opportunity to work with fantastic (all-age) people from the East Coast to the West. Cheers to a great 2006 DCA season! I'll be signing off DCP until after finals... :)

I want to protest your response as not being controversial enough, pursuant to Renegades Blyaw 6(f).

^0^

Someone who is a professional composer and arranger, by definition, works for many different musical organizations.

Absolutely. This is not the first time a big-name arranger has done the music for two competing DCA corps.... John Arietano arranging for Westshoremen and Hurricanes the same years in the early 1990's comes to mind as one example.

I'm sure Key Poulan will do a great job for both the Renegades and Caballeros. I know this is a cliche', but I think the fans will be the winners here.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

will this be a conflict of interest with the cabs? will key write better for one and not the other? will he mistakenly put the rumps into the renegades' show? key's music is great but is he over extending himself writing for so many corps and bands?

knowing the Gades, they'd probably dig having the rumps in their show

will this be a conflict of interest with the cabs? will key write better for one and not the other? will he mistakenly put the rumps into the renegades' show? key's music is great but is he over extending himself writing for so many corps and bands?

Hmmm Interesting. Don't know how that's not going to be a conflict. But hey what can you do it's done.

Guess you do what ever it takes to get to the top. Isn't that what Steinbrenner does with the yankees get the good player to his organization. Although they can only play for one team at a time.

Hmmm then again that did not work for Snyder and the Redskins. Oh Well.

(oh great now long term contracts free agency and agents are going to have to be started in the drum Corps world then drafts oh the madness begins)

Wishing you both success.

Question

Has this ever been done before? An Arranger in either percussion, Brass,or guard, do it for two Corps on the same Level the same year?

jp

happens a lot especially when you have guys doing DCI and DCA.

I want to protest your response as not being controversial enough, pursuant to Renegades Blyaw 6(f).

^0^

and ruin your fun?

:P

You know, I figured it would take about three nanoseconds before someone "went there"

<**> <**> <**> <**>

I'm sure he will arrange us a kick ### show, as he will for Cabs, for SCV, and for all the other groups he writes for. This man is a professional, and we couldn't be happier to have him on board.

It's up to US to take what he writes us and go KICK ### with it!