Hopkins and saxophones

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there is, as there is with the sound of a great MB.

But you want to replace one with the other Mike.

I know, I know, you're for an "anything goes" division. But, lets be real for a second, is that REALLY going to happen?

It's totally factual. And pointing out the irony of it is not uncalled for at all.

Then again, corps were playing on trumpets in the key of G for a couple decades (or more) before Carolina Crown ever switched to Bb & F horns ... B)

But you want to replace one with the other Mike.

I know, I know, you're for an "anything goes" division. But, lets be real for a second, is that REALLY going to happen?

That's my preference...and MHO.

If that fails to happen, I am still in favor of adding WW to the existing divisions...along with any instruments they desire.

But the new division is my preference.

Mike

I never know who is taking the urine sample when this one gets brought up!

Surely, anyone who loves Drum and Bugle Corps would not want to see woodwind on the field, as Drum Corps would be no more then. It would be Summer Band Championships.

I like the sound of a good MB, concert orchestra and even a good wind ensemble and wouldn't attack WW for the sake of it, but it isn't Drum Corps is it?

In England we have Rugby Union and Rugby League. Both good sports and very similar. To the outsider they look the same pretty much but to the people who grew up in one or the other the differences are huge. Try telling Rugby League fans they have to sit tight whilst the bigwigs introduce line outs and mauls. There would be rioting on the streets of Wigan and they dont have half the passion of the DC fans I see here!

I love evolution and applaud most efforts at keeping the activity current and popular but WW is a step too far, imo, as the basic tradition of the activity will be no more. I cant understand anyones arguement for WW and I challenge anyone to put forward a convincing arguement for them. All I read is WW fans ripping the DC nuts to bits for not wanting this change. WW fans, give me a good, well thought out case and lets see if you can change my mind. I want to know how WW will enhance the DC experience for the members and fans, not just the WW manufacturers.

How many woodwinds would audition?

I play clarinet. I love it. I major in it at school. Clarinet = my biz. But I hate it on the field. I don't like marching band, but that's just my two cents. Are there enough talented woodwinds out there that would be willing to march in a corps and actually positively add to the sound of the corps?

And I don't know a lot of woodwinds who can march well at all, at least not nearly as well as the hardcore horns I see in a corps.

:worthy:

How many woodwinds would audition?

I play clarinet. I love it. I major in it at school. Clarinet = my biz. But I hate it on the field. I don't like marching band, but that's just my two cents. Are there enough talented woodwinds out there that would be willing to march in a corps and actually positively add to the sound of the corps?

Before mallets were permitted in drum corps you might have asked the same question about them, yet there appear to be sufficient excellent players in the pits today.

And I don't know a lot of woodwinds who can march well at all, at least not nearly as well as the hardcore horns I see in a corps.

:worthy:

There is nothing inherently superior about marching with just brass. If there were 60 or 70 WW in a corps, they'd be marching at the same level as everyone else.

Mike