Hopkins and saxophones

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,...I don't know what to say to you anymore....you and folks like you will be responsible for the demise of drum corps in the long run....dump any so-called innovation on drum corps and I am sure you will find the rationale for it's acceptance....Frankly, I could care less how long you have been in the activity you are helping take the balls out of drum corps by advocating the addition of woodwinds....I cannot understand why even the thought of this does not sicken you....drum corps IMO is not innovative...it has become a swap meet for any idea or gimmick that one can peddle as innovative and contemporary....drum corps will never be the same, thanks to sell-outs like yourself, and yes Mike, this time I am trying to offend you!.....Hoppy said it,....it must be great!

Felix don't even bother. Because He will use MHO I have mine and you have yours. Some times I think he answers he does just to get reactions out of people.

If not then Kool Aid is great if you drink it right.

You say that as if it's a bad thing....IMO it is not.

Mike

Yes I think it would be a bad thing for DRUM CORPS AND BUGLE CORPS. Becaue There would be no differences

But a great thing for Summer marching Band Becaue There would be no differences ?

What is drum corps to you?

How do you describe it.

Edited by Oddone

What is drum corps to you?

How do you describe it.

What do you care? Your opinions about Mike's opinions are pretty much set in stone anyway. Is anything he says really going to change your mind about your own strongly held beliefs? I would venture to say no. So he believes what he believes, you believe what you believe, and neither one of you are DCI policy makers. Live and let live.

I would venture to guess, though, that *MOST* drum & bugle corps fans probably do feel that it would be a bad thing if DCI corps lost the last vestige of their uniqueness as musical ensembles (all brass).

I don't know what most would think...only what I think...and those who chime in here.

Since this is a discussion group where swe exchange our own opinions, I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

Mike

Amidst all the passion expressed, I wish people would look at some facts. Was the idea for altering the instrumentation in this way ever brought to a vote? In fact, did it even get out of committee? And, was it even discussed in committee or was it just passed over?

There's a lot of hand-wringing going on, which is fine as long as one doesn't mind really sore hands at the end of the day.

I would venture to guess, though, that *MOST* drum & bugle corps fans probably do feel that it would be a bad thing if DCI corps lost the last vestige of their uniqueness as musical ensembles (all brass).

What kind of drugs are you smoking there Orpheus...I don't know whether to cry or laugh at how ridiculousy arrogant that sounds....sounds like you and geniouses like Mike D are trying to make drum corps the laughing stock of entertainment (note I did nmot call it drum corps.....it ceased being that years ago)...it's bad enough that folks are falling asleep in the stands just to stroke your idea of entertainment....you guys must be really bored to try an peddle your brand of entertainment on an activity that was just fine without countless gimmicks and psuedo-intellect....adding woodwinds would most definitely be the demise of Drum and Bugle Corps....but lets be honest, you guys never liked what you first heard to begin with,...right?....I will argue that you never understood the Balls of drum corps and would probably try to over analyze it if you did....drum corps has become wimpy and filled with dancers in tights....that is the reason I was embarrassed when I first took my son to a show and he mentioned how boring it was....I agree with him....he's no old fart at 18 and he is definitely not influenced by my opinion...anyone who has 18 years old surely knows this!

Felix don't even bother. Because He will use MHO I have mine and you have yours. Some times I think he answers he does just to get reactions out of people.

If not then Kool Aid is great if you drink it right.

You do yourself a disservice when you discount someone's honest opinions like that. Mike's opinion is honestly held, and is just as legitimate as your own regarding woodwinds. Certainly it is not a result of "drinking the Kool Aid". If you wouldn't want your own words passed of and dismissed in a such a manner, then I hope you think before you do it again to someone else.

Amidst all the passion expressed, I wish people would look at some facts. Was the idea for altering the instrumentation in this way ever brought to a vote? In fact, did it even get out of committee? And, was it even discussed in committee or was it just passed over?

There's a lot of hand-wringing going on, which is fine as long as one doesn't mind really sore hands at the end of the day.

For my part, I would not call it hand wringing so much as a hoped-for "innoculation"/prevention against a "virus" that I hope never happens to drum corps, i.e. talking about it and helping others to see why its not a good idea to go that route. Since we hear that many designers/instructors/directors read this forum, hopefully they can be influenced by what is said here and stay a good course, not a bad one.