I was there,"Maynard & The Erie Thunderbirds"

:blink: Erie Thunderbirds, 50th yr anny and banquet bash was by any standard a huge success. A review of the day from this ones perspective. We left out of Buffalo NY @ appx 1 pm on Friday afternoon. The drive to Erie took us (Joey Pero and myself) a little over 2 hours. When we arrived we walked into the facility, a beautiful Shriners Hall, I was immediately impressed by the size. The stage lighting was installed, the tables were set to hold appx 600 guests, and the powers to be from Erie were in attendance waiting for the arrival of the band for sound check. Gary Matczk (T-Birds director) was like a proud father waiting the arrival of his first born. We joked around awhile, then decided we were parched and went for the first cold one of the day. Four of us buzzed down the street a ways to find the first watering hole (the bar @ the Shriners was not open yet). We had some nice conversation with Jeff Gibbens, quenched our thrist and returned to the venue just in time to find Maynards bus arriving. All the band members were glad to see Joey as they stepped off the bus one by one. The sound check went well and the boys were off, back to their hotel to rest and freshen up.

The banquet started @ 5:30 pm with a buffet dinner which I might add was delicious. Following the eats Gary Matczak began the Erie Thunderbirds information and history section of the evening. Joe Salorino of Erie's drum line fame shared the podium. 50 years is a long time and my hat goes off to this fine organization. I believe they mentioned there were 3 idividuals who were still active and began with the corps @ their birthing 50 yrs ago in Meadville, PA. The awards given were appx 10 in number and cudos went to everyone who helped. I myself (co-director of The Ghost Riders) was there to give Erie our congratulations's for the past and to wish them contuinued success.

Valerie Gillespie (sax & vocals) with her four backups were fantastic and did a great job opening the show. Maynards band was outstanding as usual. Joey Pero was called to the stage on an impulse. They had asked him earlier to play Birdland so he went to the car got his horn (didn't warm up) and we relaxed and enjoyed the show. When Maynard called him to the stage it was at the beginning of the Medley. I was concerned when Maynard took Joey front and center and said "GO". He didn't even get a warm up chart. This meant

"MacCarthur Park" cold. He absolutely hit it out of the park !!! Joey even surprizes me on occassion and this was one of them.

What a class act. I have been to many fine Banquets in my day and this has to be the best I've ever attended. A Big "Thumbs Up" goes to my friends from Erie, Gary Matczak, Gene (of melliegene fame), Chez, Tommy D, Nick, Jim, and the rest of the bunch. "OH WHAT A NIGHT"

A special thank you to Jeff & Dale Gibbens for their hospitality. They had the after party at their home and invited Maynards band. The appetizers served along with the liquid refreshment made for a wonderful time till 3:30 am.

Doug Mellenthine ; co-director Ghost Riders mini Corps

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a truly remarkable banquet.

Gonna beat the #### out of ours. LOL Just thinking about the food being served at ours ...grunts! I'm so depressed.

...Yeah DOUGIE SCHMOOVE :blink:

Great review of the evening's festivities!

Easily the best T-Bird banquet I've ever been to :huh: It was good to see you again Doug.....and nice job on presenting that "award" to a certain someone*coughcou-solosop420-ghcough*

LOL :P

p.s. It's CHEEZ a.k.a. Mini-corps ROCK STAR!!!

not Chez. B) LOL

...Yeah DOUGIE SCHMOOVE :blink:

Easily the best T-Bird banquet I've ever been to :huh: It was good to see you again Doug.....and nice job on presenting that "award" to a certain someone*coughcou-solosop420-ghcough*

not Chez. B) LOL

575 people in attendance,..................still decompressing,...........................

2 things for you Erie T-Birds people...

1. Anyone have a list of what Maynard Played?

2. As a Mansfield University Student, and member of the marching band, I saw someone at last weekend's (Oct 15) Mansfield University Football game wearing an Erie Thunderbirds jacket... Wondered who it was.

Edited by BucsBuff

2 things for you Erie T-Birds people...

1. Anyone have a list of what Maynard Played?

2. As a Mansfield University Student, and member of the marching band, I saw someone at last weekend's (Oct 15) Mansfield University Football game wearing an Erie Thunderbirds jacket... Wondered who it was.

Hey,

1. No idea, I wasn't there

2. I went to MU, was a member of the TBirds, and no, I don't have a TBirds Jacket. Now I'm wondering who it was???

now i wanna know

Great review Doug and nice chatting with you again. You're right.......Gary is the Man :blink: When it comes to logistics and attention to detail he can't be beat.

Three hours plus of solid virtually non-stop entertainment was just awesome......talent level SUPERB from Valerie and Cat's A Bear to Maynard and Big Bop Nouveau. (Where do they get their Chops???? They probably eat a box of nails just to warm up b**bs

This is going to be hard to beat!!!

...Yeah DOUGIE SCHMOOVE :laugh:

Easily the best T-Bird banquet I've ever been to :laugh: It was good to see you again Doug.....and nice job on presenting that "award" to a certain someone*coughcou-solosop420-ghcough*

not Chez. B) LOL

Actually, the best THUNDERBIRD banquet for me was in 1995. At that banquet I received "THUNDERBIRD OF THE YEAR" & a brand new Soprano. Mikey B won it this year........What instrument will you be playing this year, Mike? A horn or a drum???

The banquet this year was fantastic. It was exciting because we knew that MayNARD was coming. Vallerie opened up the show. She rocked! (Had a dream about Vallerie last night....I woke up & said good morning to my wife in a very special way.) TMI?............So! Then Maynard came on and showed us people that 77 years of age ain't too old to impress an audience. HOWEVER, the highlight of the night, for me, was hearing Joey Pero play the solo in McGarthur Park. Fantastic job Joey! Joey was on!!!!!!!!!

The end result is that the show was a TOTAL SUCCESS! There were "issues" though. One issue is that we drank the club outta Labatt's Blue 1/2 way through the show. That was OK though. After the first 12 Labatt's, Budweiser does the job. The other "issue" is: What am I supposed to do with that "GhostBu..........

I mean, "GhostRider" T-shirt? If I wear it to a T-Bird function, there is a possibility that I may get slapped-down-to-the-hard-concrete. If I wear it to a GhostRider practice......I still may get slapped-down-to-the-hard-concrete. Aye, here's the rub: Sometimes I enjoy a good slapping.

The THUNDERBIRDS are very happy of the show's success. All who attended (approx 600) were glad they made it. Now it is time to focus on 2006.

Where do they get their Chops???? They probably eat a box of nails just to warm up

When they play the theme to Rocky, they eat lightning and crap thunder. :P