dci.org plugs "all age" corps in column!

Perhaps more could be said in the broadcast, but remember that this isn't a newbie's only resource either.

What is said about checking dci.org web site? Hopefully it's something like "There's a lot more that what you see tonight. Check out dci.org". Agree not everything that needs to be shown can be done in two hours (minus commercials). Hopefully the right things are said so the target audience turns off the TV wanting to find out more.

(Been a long time since I listened to everything being said on the telecast. Usually I record and fast forward when there isn't a corps on the field.)

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is nice, considering they told the world on the ESPN broadcast that your career's over at 21.

That only took 6 posts for negativity to pop up.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Jim, I remember at least one commercial that mentioned DCI.org's existance. But do a google search, which everyone familiar with the internet knows how to do. DCI.org is the first entry, followed by DCW, DCA, DCP, and DCUK.

Jim, I remember at least one commercial that mentioned DCI.org's existance. But do a google search, which everyone familiar with the internet knows how to do. DCI.org is the first entry, followed by DCW, DCA, DCP, and DCUK.

Maybe it's because we're from different parts of the county but I think we had a DCI.org commerical about every 20-30 minutes or so. Can't remember what was in the commercial though, think I watched once and skipped the rest.

And I did totally forget about these commercials when I first posted, getting close to 50 sucks.

So what's this google thing???? <kidding, kidding>

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

And Jim, my problem is that we can't even BRUSH GENTLY PAST a conversation about this without the "sense of entitlement" senior people jumping in to complain about something ELSE that DCI is doing them wrong by.

Sheesh you guys.

Stef

You know I have to agree with Stef here . This is a classic example of why alot of the kids that have never marched or seen A DCA corps are turned off about it.

Here we have a cool article and thread that could be used in a good light and could be built off of. But someone wants to take a little bit of it spin it and make it into drama. I mean nothing had to be said at all!!

So lets take that little bite and run with it. Make that little bit into a huge good. Instead of taking that little bite making into a huge bad.

The person wrote.

Of course, if you’re still itching to march after an ageout season, senior corps are a great way to stay on the field too! We’ll discuss senior corps in an upcoming article. If you’re interested now, check out dcacorps.org for more details.

Do you really think they are going to want to write about DCA now knowing they could get slammed for something. A little bit of something at that. I know I wouldn't! I would say Bump that I am not going to say anything more. I was just trying to help.

So now we could have just turned off a Fan of DCA. One that was only trying to help. Not only that but others that we possibly going to give DCA a shot dispite what they have heard.

DCA needs the youth stop pushing them away. When some of them are looking for a way to help.

Some might not like this but DCA needs the youth more than the youth need DCA ..

Just in case I am not a youth.

JP

Where has anyone complained about what is in the article? On the contrary the comments I've seen relating to the article have been complimentary. The negativity has been dealing with the DCI telecast.

And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how I'm expressing a "sense of entitlement". I disagreed with what is said in the telecast and it sounds like I want to tell DCI how to run their show which is NOT true. Keeping ones mouth shut to keep everyone happy is not the way to change things for the better.

Edit: I am only speaking for my posts, no one elses.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Please email emily and tell her she did a great job promoting all drum and bugle corps AND that we the drum corps community, appreciate her kind words. Then email reliable rondo and you can gently remind him that there are other corps out there that go beyond the DCI Div I, II, and III corps whether they be all age, parade, alumni, etc. These are individuals who choose to communicate, not a DCI conspiracy in either direction.

The age out ceremony is a wonderful rite of passage, and so it is mentioned because it is something that is traditional, ageless and uniquely (sp?) DCI drum corps. Now, lets put some energy where it counts: back into our corps to make them great places for people to learn about music, motion and other people.

create peace,

Brent Turner

Please email emily and tell her she did a great job promoting all drum and bugle corps AND that we the drum corps community, appreciate her kind words. Then email reliable rondo and you can gently remind him that there are other corps out there that go beyond the DCI Div I, II, and III corps whether they be all age, parade, alumni, etc. These are individuals who choose to communicate, not a DCI conspiracy in either direction.

The age out ceremony is a wonderful rite of passage, and so it is mentioned because it is something that is traditional, ageless and uniquely (sp?) DCI drum corps. Now, lets put some energy where it counts: back into our corps to make them great places for people to learn about music, motion and other people.

create peace,

Brent Turner

I couldn't have said it better myself

Where has anyone complained about what is in the article? On the contrary the comments I've seen relating to the article have been complimentary. The negativity has been dealing with the DCI telecast.

And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how I'm expressing a "sense of entitlement". I disagreed with what is said in the telecast and it sounds like I want to tell DCI how to run their show which is NOT true. Keeping ones mouth shut to keep everyone happy is not the way to change things for the better.

Edit: I am only speaking for my posts, no one elses.

You know that is true the first few were good comments about the article then it takes a direction off into the DCI broadcast about a simple little bite. Why does it even have to go there. Why could this not stay on topic of the article. The broadcast thing should be said in a thread about that.

But no.Someone had to take the poke at DCI in this one So again. you get someone reading saying oh great here THEY GO again. I have to say I was reading and I was like nice so far so good and then the ok here we go. Just knowing it would go off into something bad. Now if I do that and I am one that likes the DCA and understands the differences between the two etc What do you think the Jr corps kid who does not know or has heard bad things is going to do after they read another good thread gone bad.. Next time they see a thread with DCA in it they will just click on by.

Maybe then you will realize when asked why not march DCA the responses back as they have been written on here. Because all they do is complain, and Knock our activity

JP

Edited by Oddone

Fair enough Oddone, thanks for keeping it more civil than I did on my last post (bad Jim , bad Jim)....

Speaking for myself only, what is (not) said on the telecasts bothers me because I do care about the entire DC community (Jr/Sr/Alumnis) and I see it as a roadblock on FINALLY getting the groups to start working together better. For the folks who haven't been around for the last 30 years the "... after 21 it's over.." etc has been said since at least the late 70s on the PBS broadcasts. At the time DCA and DCI basically ignored each other so the comments were not much of a surprise. However it caused hard feelings between the members and fans then just as it does today. Bottom line it hurt DC then and it hurts it today.

Because of the state of DC today I honestly feel that DCA/DCI need to work together to ensure that Drum Corps survives. Articles like Emilys are great because it comes from the members and I'm glad it was published. Comments from people like Don A of DCI also show that the groups realize how important each group is. Now with the positive steps being taken, I just can't understand why we are still dealing with comments that have been causing hard feelings for almost 30 years now.

I hope the history lesson and my concerns show why I do the "there he goes again" bit <$1 to Pres. Reagan>

And if any Junior corps fans/members have a question about my comments but don't want to post them in an open forum, I invite you to PM me.