dci.org plugs "all age" corps in column!

All you need now is some pimple faced,smart nose arrogant little punk that marches as a rookie in a top 12 to say..."yeh, what is DCA? clear the field for me" WHAP, BANG, POW!

this is a true story with permission rights from the witness.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the words "in DCI" or "their corps" were added Steph I wouldn't have a problem. But by not having these two words it gives "... career is over.." a whole different meaning. DCA or other corps don't even have to be mentioned. And before anyone posts "Yeah but WE know about DCA" remember the telecast is targeted towards people who know nothing about DC.

And yes the DCI/DCA rift is getting smaller, at least we're moving in the right direction. IMO, the groups need to work together better for the survival of Drum Corps.

And Jim, my problem is that we can't even BRUSH GENTLY PAST a conversation about this without the "sense of entitlement" senior people jumping in to complain about something ELSE that DCI is doing them wrong by.. (i.e., this article in question is brought up as a discussion and it took.. what.. five posts for someone to come on and whine about how DCI says "all the time" - iow, one time on the broadcast each season - that "your career is over at 21". That comment is worded exactly that way because it's a -- get ready kids, this is a big word -- sound-byte.. a catchy, phrase-like statement that keeps the flow of the dialogue going. Do you also have a problem with Gillette saying "Gillette - the best a man can get" when clearly a man can probably get better? Sound-byte. Get it?)

The DCI Broadcast is not a documentary.

How about this.. WE all know about DCA and most senior corps now also perform at DCI shows throughout the summer.. so howsabout we get people to DCI shows (however we get them there) and they can find out about ALL that drum corps has to offer while they're there?? I sincerely doubt that a MINOR COMMENT like "your career is over at 21" is going to discourage people from going to shows if they're inclined to be interested in this.. the only people who even pick up on it are the OVER 21 people who are totally gung-ho about senior corps. Why do we have to bombard the audience of a broadcast with every tidbit of information there is out there? The broadcast is a TEASER. It's to TEASE people with just enough information to get them to want to learn more on their own.. if we load them up with information, then they'll say, "Okay.. I know everything there is to know about it.. there are no more surprises.. I don't need to pursue it any further." That would make our broadcasts into documentaries.

So let me say again.. howsabout we get people TO THE SHOWS and let them find out about all the rest of what drum corps has to offer while they're there? How cool is it to go to something expecting one thing and discover so much more while you're there?!

Sheesh you guys.

Stef

DCI.org plugs "all age" corps in column!

Does this mean DCA is adding amps?? :o

:P

Edited by Maedhros

That comment is worded exactly that way because it's a -- get ready kids, this is a big word -- sound-byte.. a catchy, phrase-like statement that keeps the flow of the dialogue going.

Sorry to disagree Stef, but it is NOT a sound byte and there is nothing "catchy" about it. It is simply an untrue, self-serving statement that has been purposly perpetuated for decades. It would be very simple for DCI to simply remove this statement from their repertoir. It would take no more air time to state that because the max age for DCI is 21 that many of these young people will be marching with their corps for the last time.

I DO agree that we should be trying to get people to the shows. But just because you don't like the DCI/DCA argument doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it will likely go away any time soon.

The DCI Broadcast is not a documentary.

No, it's marketing to people who know nothing about Drum Corps. And to say something misleading is being less than honest and DCI (yes DCI) deserves better than that. I never said that DCA is entitled to anything.

Why do we have to bombard the audience of a broadcast with every tidbit of information there is out there? The broadcast is a TEASER. It's to TEASE people with just enough information to get them to want to learn more on their own.. if we load them up with information, then they'll say, "Okay.. I know everything there is to know about it.. there are no more surprises.. I don't need to pursue it any further." That would make our broadcasts into documentaries.

And adding two words ("their corps") will really hurt all this???

(Somehow whacked the "all the time" part of the post. - Ooops)

I have been hearing "... after 21 that's it..." since at least 1977 (when I started picking up on this).

Edit - Actually I wonder how many 20 year olds DCI loses by this. I imagine a 20 year old thinking "Hey I'd like to do this, but why go thru all the effort if it's a one year deal (IF I make the cut)?"

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

There have been several references to senior corps in prior Fanfare columns. I've never had a problem getting them published. Contrary to what some may wish to believe, DCI does not turn its back on the existence of part of the activity. My goal and I believe that of DCI is to get more people into drum corps, period...a goal apparently shared by Emily. The more that find any part of drum corps will translate to more that find all parts of drum corps.

Mike

One thing to maybe consider is dropping the term "senior" corps for more clarity. Even DCA as an organization formally uses and endorses the term "all age" and has distanced itself from the term "senior".

As a simple example.........

DCI-Competitive (age requirements and/or restrictions)

DCA- Competitive (all-age/may have age restrictions, may be regional DCI member also)

Alumni-Non Competitive (may have age restrictions)

Sorry to disagree Stef, but it is NOT a sound byte and there is nothing "catchy" about it. It is simply an untrue, self-serving statement that has been purposly perpetuated for decades. It would be very simple for DCI to simply remove this statement from their repertoir. It would take no more air time to state that because the max age for DCI is 21 that many of these young people will be marching with their corps for the last time.

I DO agree that we should be trying to get people to the shows. But just because you don't like the DCI/DCA argument doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it will likely go away any time soon.

Scott,

It's not a question of whether I like or dislike the argument.. the FACT is that DCI bought and paid for their time on TV. That means they get to promote THEIR ACTIVITY -- the DCI Junior corps activity -- the way they see fit. They are NOT obligated to answer to ANYONE else -- that particularly includes senior or DCA corps. If in the course of their teaser program, they choose to highlight the fact that ALL THE PEOPLE YOU SEE PERFORMING ON THIS PROGRAM ARE UNDER 21 by stating "at 21, your career is over" -- then so be it. It's not only accurate to that specific program AND segment of the activity, it should be expected!

Stef

Did anyone ever watch the telecast pretending that you know nothing about corps (IOW the target audience) and afterwards try to image what DC is about? Last time I tried it I came away with the idea that there are only 12 Drum Corps in existence because "This is Drum Corps". No mention of Div II/III, no mention of a 13th corps (at least the last time I watched). There are only 12 corps with a total of (12 times 135) openings each year nation wide. To the initiated, the top 12 are not a "segment of the activity", they ARE the activity because "this is Drum Corps". I still get the idea that DCI forgets the make up of it's target audience when the scripts are handed out.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Jim, they also glossed over the first four corps on in finals, really only mentioning them when posting the results so far. No shows from them, no members doing funny poses, no vignettes. Why? TIME! Sure there could be a brief mention in passing of all the other aspects of that activity... but can we really expect a two-hour segment to be inclusive?? I'm happy if it got people interested enough to visit DCI.org, or at least do a google search. And I do think that, especially in the past two years, DCI.org has done a good (maybe great) job of mentioning II/III corps.

Perhaps more could be said in the broadcast, but remember that this isn't a newbie's only resource either.

<snip>

Back to the actual topic of this thread.. Michael, I agree.. I also think it puts to REST the inaccurate belief held by some folks that DCI has it out to get DCA or to short-shrift them in some way.

Stef

Stef,

That was my main reason for highlighting this column! I'm not involved with senior corps (nothing against it - just not my thing), but I think the idea that DCI is out to "get" or even marginalize DCA is ridiculous and somewhat paranoid. Kind of sad really..... :rolleyes: