dci.org plugs "all age" corps in column!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great when DCI invites alumni corps to perform like 27th, Cabs, SCV, Kingsmen, Royalairs. It will get even better when they finally invite corps like Bucs, Brigs, Renegades . . .

Some senior corps (Renegades, SoCal Dream, River City Regiment) are members of DCI's Senior Division. They perform in DCI shows all the time.

But your marching career in DCI IS over at 21.

When DCA co-hosts and co-pays for the broadcast, maybe a comment like that will be obsolete.. until then, it's accurate and there's no obligation on DCI's part to squander ANY of their bought-and-paid-for-air-time on public service announcements for DCA.

Back to the actual topic of this thread.. Michael, I agree.. I also think it puts to REST the inaccurate belief held by some folks that DCI has it out to get DCA or to short-shrift them in some way.

Stef

I don't think DCI has it out for DCA. I also don't think they need to advertise for DCA.

But I think there are better ways of putting it than "your career is over at 21."

"These kids will be marching with their corps for the last time." perhaps?

But you say careers end at 21, and you exclude multiple demographics from participation in the activity. Getting more people to march, even in senior corps (as has already been established, senior corps DO perform at DCI shows) gets more people into the activity, which can only be a good thing for DCI AND DCA.

They don't even have to mention DCA by name. Take 5 seconds to bring up senior corps and alumni corps. Don't just make it seem like participation in the activity dies at 21.

Edited by Tank

When DCA co-hosts and co-pays for the broadcast, maybe a comment like that will be obsolete.. until then, it's accurate and there's no obligation on DCI's part to squander ANY of their bought-and-paid-for-air-time on public service announcements for DCA.

Back to the actual topic of this thread.. Michael, I agree.. I also think it puts to REST the inaccurate belief held by some folks that DCI has it out to get DCA or to short-shrift them in some way.

Stef

It would be nice if DCI mentioned ALL of their own member corps. Specifically, I'm talking about the Div. II and III corps. They are a part of DCI that has not been mentioned on the broadcast for quite a while. What is the reason for this omission?

Westshoremen (96), Minnesota Brass (97?), and the Brigadiers ('99, '01) have performed at DCI Championships.

I didn't mean to leave the other corps out. I didn't do my due diligence. My bad.

Mom

Some senior corps (Renegades, SoCal Dream, River City Regiment) are members of DCI's Senior Division. They perform in DCI shows all the time.

Chops and MBI toured with us throughout the North until we went south into Texas in 2004. I was under the impression that they were just doing exhibition performances, but they were actually being judged on the same sheets as us.

Westshoremen (96), Minnesota Brass (97?), and the Brigadiers ('99, '01) have performed at DCI Championships.

Westshore did 96 and 97.

also Steel City in 1990 and Empire in 1995

between this and Dan Acehsons comments in the new DCW, I am pleased to see cooperation between the two groups seems to be at an all time high

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

Stef

i agree, but that is NOT how the message is or has been delivered. if, IMO, it was said "you can no longer march in DCI after you age out, but there other options"...notice i didnt even mention DCA by name, just mention other options, IMO, you heal a lot of old wounds.

especially since many kids today are cutting their teeth in DCA before going to DCI

Stef

If the words "in DCI" or "their corps" were added Steph I wouldn't have a problem. But by not having these two words it gives "... career is over.." a whole different meaning. DCA or other corps don't even have to be mentioned. And before anyone posts "Yeah but WE know about DCA" remember the telecast is targeted towards people who know nothing about DC.

And yes the DCI/DCA rift is getting smaller, at least we're moving in the right direction. IMO, the groups need to work together better for the survival of Drum Corps.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Good move, DCI. I never saw a point in any junior/senior arguments or anything. It's good to see this, especially since most younger kids (high school age) that know about corps have never heard of DCA or senior/all-age corps, at least the kids I've met.