IF YOU COULD RELIVE YOUR DRUM CORPS EXPERIENCE OVER,

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have found a way to march the 3 seasons that I took off between my 3rd and 4th years of marching.

I probably also would have accepted the position that was offered to before my 2nd summer of drum corps to march with Brass Theater. I think that would have been an incredible experience.

Seattle Cascades

2003 and 2004

2003 was a wierd year for the corps, but I got a lot out of it as a rookie. One of my favorite moments from that tour was the Southwest through Midwest swing. It finally hit me that I was performing in a world class type marching unit... It was my first experience ever performing in a dome environment. Many of my college friends had that experience in their BOA bands, and I just thought it was cool. I guess it is something small, but that experience was rather uplifting for me... Listening to the soft music as we walked into the dome, while the taking in the crowd noise, cool air (after rehearsing all day and then in the parking lot at San Antonio). I guess for 2003, the regionals were my favorite times. I also got to meet a lot of people in OTHER sections of my corps, and that was something I made a goal at the beginning of the season. Hanging out with Phantom Regiment in Concord was also another highlight! So many classy people there, and I always remember almost wett'n my pants when I got to hear their show up top for the first time somewhere in the rockies! OOOOOOOH

2004 not enough words can describe this season for me with the corps. I knew it was my last season with the corps, so I was going to make it the best ever. Knowing more members in the corps, and being a respected vet (I think), I had a lot of fun on the bus--more fun than in 2003. I was known as; Miss Cleo a lot on tour, because I would wear wierd things on my head all the time during rehearsals. To be honest, I would love to have that entire 2004 season back again. It didn't hit me until I got home, that I had a real family of 135 plus people who cared about me, regardless of who I was. I lost someone important in my life on my 2004 tour (I didnt find out until I got home)--The last time I would talk to my grandmother was on quarterfinals night, when I told her, we would have one last shot performing our show for the season. She, not knowing how finals and all that worked said "Honey, you never know, you guys might make up some points and get in finals!"--I laughed, and finished what would be my last conversation with her, while we waited to leave the parking lot after quarterfinals. I knew, something wasnt right in the tone of her voice, she sounded rather ill, but I didnt think much of it, because she was tired... I was wearing the yellow Armstrong bracelet to support her and her getting rid of her cancer, so it made me feel good on the road. I was lucky enough to have had her in the audience at my second home show of the CA swing in Riverside, CA--I have her ticket stub, that I found when we were cleaning her place after she passed on. Okay, I am sorry, but this is way emotional--I'll move on... Our closer was titled "Heavens" and our show was titled "Natures Confession"--I think that whole season, and understanding of that show for ME was very symbolic in what I would have to face when I got home... Losing someone who was like a mother to me. Luckly for me, I had corps members to rely on. 2004 Cascades made me feel so good, and I knew it after our semi-finals performance--I was in tears, and this didnt really happen in 2003 for me. I was in tears, because I had fallen in love with something that was special. "This is probably one of the hardest things you will ever do, if not, ever done"--The staff couldnt have been anymore right when they would say that.

There isn't one specific "event" that I would like to relive... Because Drum Corps in itself was an "event" and it wouldnt have been the same without all of the little "events" in between on tour, on the road, shows, sleeping in gyms, living on a bus, etc..etc...

I wish I could relive 2004 again--I had people who understood me, and didn't judge me for who I was. Here at home, I feel unsupported my professors, and fellow students... My corps family had faith in me.

Sorry for the long emotional story, but if I didn't end it here, I would be writing forever!

Your corps- Blue Devils

The year you marched- Year? 1981, 82, 83, 84, 85

The event-I would like to relive the events from audition to age-out and all the stuff in between. It started off with all that anticipation and excitement of making the corps and being able to experience what being in the Blue Devils was like. Then it moved onto understanding the flow and progression of a season and knowing what to expect to realizing you're experiencing levels of performance that don't always happen and when they do, latch on to it and go for the ride for all it's worth. To eventually being....this is what I do and I don't know anything else. To suddenly....it's all over.

It was a wonderful ride. Some wins, some loses. Tons of friends and memories and a whole lot of parties, laughing, and having fun.

At the time, I realized I was lucky, but it wasn't until much later that I realized just how lucky my friends and I were.

I wouldn't change a thing from those years. I experienced 4 high brass trophies, performed the last concert piece Blue Devils played (La Fiesta), undefeated seasons, trip to Japan, witnessed the rise of Garfield, saw the brilliance of Tom Float and what his lines accomplished...repeatedly, experienced Jack and Wayne's approach of the mental aspects of our performances, and saw thousands upon thousands of people stand on their feet for our performances........as well as witnessed some incredible performances from our competitiors.

Nope...wouldn't change a thing.

Thank You!

You're welcome....and....thank you.

My Corps - East Coast Jazz

Years - 2004-05

Event - 2004 Division 2 Finals. I wish there was something that I could have done to make up that .025 point gap between us and Spartans at finals. Maybe fix my feet-phasing in the ballad? We won vis. performance ind. soundly, though. Maybe drink more and reduce my ridiculous dry-mouth? We should've won brass by more than .2. I don't know. As much as I enjoyed winning a ring this year (although it was def. tainted by the whole medals given out on thursday thing) I would've much rather have won with the show and with the members that my corps had in 04. I loved the people in that corps. So many fond memories, so many good times.

edit: fortunately, i still have 4 more years to march... but if i could relive those moments, i definitely would. i would kill to be back on tour with ECJ in 04... i loved performing that show... god, i loved performing that show. especially with those people. such a happy, great family.

oh, and something else i might change... how about tearing my ACL and meniscus playing flag football this fall? let me say that that definitely did not help my prospects of marching this summer.

Edited by TTitans909

CORPS-CROSSMEN

YEAR-1984

EVENT- I would have done pit instead of cymbals which means I would not have left after the second camp and rejoined 2 weeks before tour.

EVENT(s) I would have remeber more of the girls I meant on tour. Especially the young lady from Crusaders and those two girls from Toledo, or Canton I forget which.

EVENT, I would have marched another year instead of coming home and getting married. But still have my first daughter.

Corps: Charioteers

Years: 1971-1975

Event: I would have marched my ageout year rather than taking a staff position and teaching.

Your corps- Bluecoats

The year you marched- 91 and 92

The event- Not one specific event but I wish I would have marched until age out. I started with the Coats in 91 and the tender age of 14, and with my b-day being in July I would have aged out in I think 98. I'll never forgive myself for not finishing but money and bad knees got in the way.

Edited by esmellosop