Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

I would like to know however, how much difference there would be in playing in tune with new G horns in comparison to new Bb/F's..No matter what key you're in, players still have to put air through the instruments, regardless of key. I personally feel that many of today's younger players won't 'blow' the horns like the old school players...or can't. Sorry, gang, too old school.

Pat

I agree. No matter what the plumbing looks like, if the player isn't trained properly the sound won't come out of the horn.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only real way to do that is to either

a) be inactive for the year you lease them out

B) don't start your season until after marching band season

c) have an extra line of horns to rent out.

This was a reason given by the DCI people. And lest we forget, DCI was the reason for Bb "bugles" to begin with.

I know you said "Agree but barely", but the adjusting to the change in pitch doesnt hold water. I know we are all drum corps junkies here, but hasnt anyone ever played in an orchestra or wind ensemble? How hard was it really to switch for a different rehearsal to pick up a G horn after playing a Bb or F horn a few days earlier. It takes about 10 seconds. And how about playing trumpet in an orchestra or wind ensemble. If it is so hard to adjust for the different keyed horn, why is it that trumpet players could do a gig where you would play one song on Bb another on C and then another on Eb?

As for judging or giving credit to those playing on G horns, I could be wrong, but the way I took that was to not penalize those playing on G because of the different timbre. The last comment I would ever want to here from a judge is that "You need to try for a fatter sound like the Bb corps get". This is basically what happened in DCI and why they went Bb. Someone else said it, to stay competitive in DCI, you had to change to Bb. I hope we never have judges that are so narrow minded that they cant judge you for what you do and not allow their personal preference for Bb or G enter into the scoring factor.

I know this is a little outside the topic because I can not speak for any corp in particular, but my preference is for G on the field, I like the sound. I will keep my Bb, Eb, C and D horns in the concert hall.

That's why I barely agree on the pitch thing. The only ones who MIGHT have a hard time with the pitch difference are inexperienced players. To me, it's a matter of concert pitch and go from there. I don't care what the key is, the intervals aren't going to change.

I think you're a bit optimistic in your judging comments. For reasons I won't get into here, I seriously doubt some judges competency when it comes to telling the difference between Bb, G or any other key, without knowing ahead of time what to expect.

G sopranos are bugles, built for outside use. They have issues with intonation because they are bugles. Bb trumpets are NOT bugles. Make 'em bulges and I suspect they will have bugle intonation issues. Mellophones, well let's not go there. And bell front baritones and basses in any key are essentially the same construction, so if they're built right they'll work right.

Edited by G-horns

You're right, Kevin. I forgot about that one. I wonder if it has ever happened.

Eklipse, in the year they competed in DCM, used a lot of borrowed horns, I believe. I also noticed that, in 2003, Esperanza had a lot of bronze colored horns in their line. They might have been borrowed or bought cheap from schools which no longer needed them. 2004 saw the horns all silver.

*Allows members to use their own instruments or their band instrument.

Well, back when I marched we still did that. Just lock the 3rd valve down and it's magically in G. Granted you've got to pull a few slides out to make it more in tune. And it doesn't work on a trombone. Unless it's a valve trombone, a valve plus slide super bone, or a bass bone with independant rotors and one of them takes it down a minor third. Of course this only happened in the early season and only for a few select sections.

Personally I like G horns. I find it much easier to play along to the radio or a cd. They also play better with string instruments. Well, it's easier to find a common key anyway.

As far as judging, well as it was hypothesized to me. Corps A, B, and C. Corps A has won multiple titles and is on Bb. Corps B is also on Bb, and was the most recent title winner. Corps C is on G horns. All corps perform equally well. Final placements: 1) Corps A with 99.1 1)(tie) Corps B with 99.1 3) Corps C with 99.0. Judges justification, they didn't sound anything like the past title holders. Or maybe they felt G's were easier to play because they're keyed lower. However unintentional it is, it does happen.

Having never played a G horn, I can't comment on that side of the spectrum.

However, having been a Drum Corps rookie this past year I can say that learning the instrument, and especially hearing the blend of the ensemble was EFFORTLESS.

At first, I had thought it was just me, but after talking to other members of the hornline, many had noticed the same thing. It's easier to stay in tune, but more of a challenge to get that wide-open sound the Buccaneers strive for.

It's certainly a credit to your training that the Bucs' horn line still managed to play with that wide-open, full-volume sound. I noticed no difference at all, in terms of high-quality volume and sound projection, in your 2005 line compared to the Bucs' G lines of the past. Just my opinion. Heck, that monster hit in "Adagio" certainly had my teeth rattling, no matter what the key of your instruments!!!!

Fran

The Renegades have decided to stay on G horns.

The reason?

To keep the sound of the G hornline alive.

Our brass guru, Jim McFarland, is willing to put in the time to make our G hornline play as in tune with good quality as any line - regardless of key. And of course, we will be as loud as ever.

But the sound of the G horns is so wonderful - it would be a shame to lose that unique and intense sound.

To bad the juniors no longer hold that thought. :(

That's why I barely agree on the pitch thing. The only ones who MIGHT have a hard time with the pitch difference are inexperienced players. To me, it's a matter of concert pitch and go from there. I don't care what the key is, the intervals aren't going to change.

Does anyone remember Maynard Ferguson trying to play a bugle(for the first time) during the finals broadcast in '79? Or Al Chez a couple of years back, playing the Star Spangled Banner(he hadn't played on a bugle for 20 years!). Switching back and forth between the two is not that easy. I think, mainly because of the lack of slotting on the G. It took me several years to be able to switch back and forth comfortably. And, I agree with Todd about working harder on a G. There is no doubt in my mind about that. A perfect example of that is the solo that I played this year in Open Up Wide. You can hear in one section in the middle how a couple of notes didn't quite lock in. I know that if I had played it on my trumpet, it wouldn't have been a problem. Or maybe that just an excuse! :worthy: