Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Electronics, Anything...

Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Anything...  

715 members have voted

1. 1. Are you pro-woodwinds/amps/electronics/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither (Meaning you have mixed views or like only certain aspects of both sides)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly. why change what works? has anyone shown data that adding all of this stuff will draw fans?

That's not the right question. The question is why STOP making changes, as that has been a hallmark of drum corps for half a century?

Show attendance is on the rise, and it has continued to increase with the multi-key and amps changes, the two recent ones that caused the hand-wringing among the less forward-thinking folks....IMO

I'm back... My girlfriend banned me from posting for the weekend... HAHA... (I don't blame her)... Anyways, innnntttteeeerrrreessssttttiiiinnnnnnngggg thread... Props to everyone...

OH, and response from where I'd get the members? Shrink the brass and guard and maybe the pit down a bit...

NO...

NEW RULE TO ADD MEMBER LIMIT TO 200.... Heh.

I'm back... My girlfriend banned me from posting for the weekend... HAHA... (I don't blame her)... Anyways, innnntttteeeerrrreessssttttiiiinnnnnnngggg thread... Props to everyone...

OH, and response from where I'd get the members? Shrink the brass and guard and maybe the pit down a bit...

NO...

NEW RULE TO ADD MEMBER LIMIT TO 200.... Heh.

Kudos to you and your rebellion. I'll tell you why i personally don't like the idea of woodwinds in drum corps.

They look weak.

They look like the band nerd kid that i used to be when i played saxophone my freshman year. I wouldn't want a beautiful powerful brass hornline to come out and be followed by a line of picilos and bass clarinets. Take for example...the 2004 Sana Clara Vanguard that you were a part of--FANTASTIC SHOW. One of the most enjoyable aspects of their show is the appearence of the hornline and the myriad of visuals and horn snaps and what not. Try that totin around a bari sax........

neck straps, reeds, and cork grease.......... :beer: I shudder to think of it

I think that it would make drum corps just look so stinkin weak....just by appearance alone......

nothing against woodwind players in some very WONDERFUL marching band programs. They belong there, and i respect so many fine players and musicians who participate in those programs.

If they want to do Drum Corps, pick up a euphonium and do some pushups, cause you cant hang your horn around your neck anymore!!!

Edited by cwillpayne

How would you feel, then, about woodwind performances in the pit?

If woodwinds are added, that's where I'd like to see them first. I think a ww solo could definitely add a new and exciting color to corps' productions. And that region of the field has been used as an "anything-goes" area even before amps were allowed.

It's about what I expected...why is it "interesting"?

because at least on here, it skews along with every other poll we've had on the topics....very negative towards amping and woodwinds.

That's not the right question. The question is why STOP making changes, as that has been a hallmark of drum corps for half a century?

Show attendance is on the rise, and it has continued to increase with the multi-key and amps changes, the two recent ones that caused the hand-wringing among the less forward-thinking folks....IMO

but attendance was rising before amps were added. going to places for finals that are very popular and long overdue doesnt help.

but feedback about the shows gets more and more negative. study shows that when a product startes becoming unwatchable, a fan will still give it at a minimum 2-3 years before they finally give up if it doesnt revert back to more fo what made them like it in the first place.

How would you feel, then, about woodwind performances in the pit?

If woodwinds are added, that's where I'd like to see them first. I think a ww solo could definitely add a new and exciting color to corps' productions. And that region of the field has been used as an "anything-goes" area even before amps were allowed.

i feel that woodwinds in the pit are easier to burn cause you wont have to chase em far before you throw em on the fire :P

but attendance was rising before amps were added. going to places for finals that are very popular and long overdue doesnt help.

And adding elements like amps has helped keep it going up...not because of the amp itself, but for the shows that can be created with their assistance....a la Crown in 2004, Cadets this season, etc...

but feedback about the shows gets more and more negative.

No it's not.

study shows that when a product startes becoming unwatchable, a fan will still give it at a minimum 2-3 years before they finally give up if it doesnt revert back to more fo what made them like it in the first place.

Can you provide a link to that study?

Mike

IMO, it's the instrumentation that helps greatly to define a musical genre. Bands don't have violins, choirs don't have timpiani, and you're probably not going to hear saxophones and guitars at the opera. When I go to the jazz club to experience a Big Band, I don't expect OR WANT to hear violins, oboes and bassoons. When I go to the classical orchestra series to experience an orchestra, I don't expect OR WANT to hear screeching trumpets,electric guitars and saxophones. When I go to a drum corps show, I don't expect OR WANT to hear woodwinds. Simple really.

Edited by oldtimedrummer