Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Electronics, Anything...

Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Anything...  

715 members have voted

1. 1. Are you pro-woodwinds/amps/electronics/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither (Meaning you have mixed views or like only certain aspects of both sides)

I can't say that I'm pro-amps, and I'm certainly not pro-woodwinds or electronics. However, I'll never draw a line which if crossed by drum corps I will leave. Instrumentation, in and of itself, was never something that attracted me to drum corps at the expense of marching band. There were only two things that really differentiated drum corps for me. First, as a young marcher, it offered me the opportunity to travel the country, grow and compete during the summers for comparatively little money. Very, very few marching bands could offer that. Second, the quality of the elite groups was astounding. Both of those conditions still exist and will continue to exist as changes occur over time.

Sure, I prefer the sound of an all brass hornline, but if woodwinds were in the mix and the performance quality at the top remained what it is today. I would remain a fan. I might complain and voice my disagreement, but I wouldn't go anywhere.

Staying the same simply for the sake of tradition is a red herring IMO. Very easy argument to make, but most of those using it would agree that certain changes were for the best. Where each of us makes that determination varies, obviously. There is a fine balance between paying homage to your past while moving forward. You can never make everyone happy in that regard.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And those in charge have decided that it will be an activity for brass and percussion.

Mike, you contradict yourself. You insist that the activity's leaders should make these decisions, yet you campaign against them ceaselessly wherever band instruments are concerned.

Say what? I favor the addition of electronics, WW, etc....That is MHO. I'm not 'campaigning' for anything. I am 100% behind the voting BOD...in fact, I've said that before...as I said IMO we'll see electronics long before WW.

They chosse not to vote them in? I'm fine with that...these are my opinions, and mine alone. That's what this board is for...the exchange of opinions.

Mike

"Traditions, traditions. Without our traditions our lives would be as shaky as... as a fiddler on the roof! "

For this reason alone drum corps to me should stay the way it is. There has been decades of an activity we all love and thus should stay the way it is.

sorry for pulling a sc quote but it is the most appropriate

Drum corps has never stayed any one way. Compare a show from 1970 to 2005.

Compare a show from 1970 to 2005.

Yup. That's what I thought. Brass & Percussion.

Bull. Besides the fact that I don;t believe your 7000 number...

They were in marching bands BEFORE they went to drum corps, they didn't go there because they got cut.

Besides, if there are all those kids doing marching band, why should drum corps become them? They already exist. The idea is to give them something different than what they get at school...not the same #### thing...

the 7000 was a figure DCI released in 2004.

were do you suppose thise 7000 kids go who dont make it??

THEIR MARCHING BANDS

Your thinking is like horse and buggy

How many kids in the US are in marching band, as opposed to drum corps???

i'll tell you where they go...home.

why? because there arent enough drum corps to support them all, and DCI does a #### poor job doing anything to promote D2/3. it's all about the top 9 or so D1 corps.

they're told if you arent a cadet or a Cavalier or a BD, then why waste your time? nothing else out these is worth it if you cant be fighting for the ring.

these kids were in band.....many of them not even in competitive bands....and the came to corps because...and i know this will shock you since you won't take the blinders off...

THEY CAME TO CORPS BECAUSE IT WAS DIFFERENT! IT'S A TOTALLY DIFFERENT BEAST THAT APPEALED TO THEM.

why would they want to leave the bands they bleong in just to go spend thousands of dollars and join what they have at home? what about all the band kids who dont go out for DCI? what is the excuse then? I mean, if they could have band, would they come out for what they do at home?

Drum corps has never stayed any one way. Compare a show from 1970 to 2005.

let's see....

the same:

people playing bras instruments

people playing percussion instruments

people doing color guard work

people marching drill

what's different:

people speaking into microphones

instruments hooked up to microphones.

gee, what's not the same in this picture?

i mean in 1970, no one claimed stifled creativity

i'll tell you where they go...home.

why? because there arent enough drum corps to support them all, and DCI does a #### poor job doing anything to promote D2/3. it's all about the top 9 or so D1 corps.

they're told if you arent a cadet or a Cavalier or a BD, then why waste your time? nothing else out these is worth it if you cant be fighting for the ring.

This I agree with. Div. II and III is a sideshow attraction to the main event. I have never even seen most of these groups. Part of that is my fault, but I think DCI could do more to make it more known. They don't even mention it in the broadcast anymore.

I hear about the number of kids coming out now to camps for top 12'ers, and I think, crap! 600 kids? How overwhelming! There are kids here who I'm sure try out for Coats and don't make it, then don't march at all, when they could go up the road to Erie Regiment and help make that a better organization and gain experience. The main obstacle I think is that most don't know about that corps, but they know BC because they saw it on TV.

I know evolution is necessary and that the levels of performance and quality will ultimately grow, but to what extent is necessary. Adding woodwinds would change the way drum corps is completely. Drum Bugle and Woodwind corps, uh uh I dont see it.

Edited by scforever