DCI, BOA, DCA, or USSBA

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI-yes (does it include all day finals ie DII in the Morning. if so with out a second thought)

DCA-NO

WGI-no just not that interested in gaurd by themselves

TOB-BIG NO (corrupt judging)

USSBA-(No there are like 5 different championship nights when would i go)

DCI-yes (does it include all day finals ie DII in the Morning. if so with out a second thought)

DCA-NO

Guard by themselves? How about the Winter Drumlines, Like RCC, RhythmX, Music City, Avon, Centerville, Center Grove, etc..........IMO, it's usually worth the trip to Dayton.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Guard by themselves? How about the Winter Drumlines, Like RCC, RhythmX, Music City, Avon, Centerville, Center Grove, etc..........IMO, it's usually worth the trip to Dayton.

now that it has been split into 2 separate weekends you will see guards by themselves on one weekend and drum lines by themselves the following weekend.

I think percussion in TOB is done from the field...is that right?

In USSBA it is from the stands...there are two sides to the sheet...performance and effect.

Mike

yes it is. there is a push to move it upstairs.

i see both sides of the argument. i'd rather be on the field myself

Maybe I should speak for myself a little bit.

In all honesty...if someone came up to me, and offered me DCA tickets, then I would probably be a little cool to the idea. Over the course of the summer at different shows, I wound up actually seeing a good 3-4 DCA corps over the course of the summer--I could only, however, name the two that I did.

I didn't mean to imply the hatred for the DCA circuit that I did. However, to me, the DCA circuit largely resembles a DCI of ten to twenty years ago, and one that I have no personal connection to, nor really any particular interest in. I've seen more videos than I can count of them, and I simply don't find it entertaining. I remember joking in line before America/O Canada about how long it felt to wait for a senior corps to finish.

I largely made my post to point out the backwardness of this discussion and to sort of "bite the bait" that many of the DCA supporters have put up on this forum lately. This thread to me symbolized a certain resentment held by both ends of the spectrum, one of [some of] the past generation's disagreement with the direction of DCI today, and my generation's eagerness to pursue drum corps and the marching arts in its own way. I thought I would do my part to further my position.

so, since you feel its bad when other stereotype in a bad way, it's ok for you to do?

DCA-NO

never mind.

yes it is. there is a push to move it upstairs.

i see both sides of the argument. i'd rather be on the field myself

If there were two judges I'd love one on the field, but as there is only one, I like the upstairs. USSBA divides the sheet into half performance and half effect, and IMO it works well. The percussion judges we've had this season have picked up the bad and good performance-wise, and at the same time have been able to understnd how the percussion section enhances the winds in the effect area.

Even on performance you can't truly evaluate balance and blend and some of the timing issues on the field, IMO. so if there is to be one, I prefer it upstairs...just MHO though I see both sides too.

Mike