A Soprano is a voice, not an instrument...........

The traditions that matter to me are things like quality of performance, camraderie, pride, and execution. I could see fighting to hang onto to traditional terms as we moved to two and three valve Gs. At that point there was a clear distinction between the band and corps instruments - both physically and in name. That physical distinction is gone. I would still be happy to see the traditional terms used, but to argue that someone is mocking history if they disagree at this point is ludicrous IMO.

I for one was proud of the distinction between the horns. As we put it in the 70s, making sweet sounds with a Bb band/orchestra instrument was easy compared to trying to tame the overgrown "signaling devices" we used.

Not slamming todays members or what they do but have a serious question. If you believe your corps uses trumpets and tubas then do you call your group a Drum and Bugle corps? If so, that doesn't sound honest to me and is disrepectful to corps who did play bugles, whether they had valves or not. Kinda like someone saying "We don't play bugles but we're a Drum & Bugle Corps just like anyone in the past". My response would be "Guess again".

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as how this debate will never die, I wonder why some of the more avant-garde units don't change their name to "'X' Brass and Percussion Corps" much like Star of Indiana did after leaving DCI.

It's a more apt description of what it is.

It's taken some difficulty to get used to Bb after playing on and listening to G, but the horns aren't going anywhere.

I still have issues with how thin some horn lines sound (especially in the upper voices), but every year, it seems to get a little better across the board.

As long as it's loud (seems like more units are putting 72 on the field for a little more kick) and all brass, I'll take it.

Amps and woodwinds, though, are another story.... :P

I for one was proud of the distinction between the horns. As we put it in the 70s, making sweet sounds with a Bb band/orchestra instrument was easy compared to trying to tame the overgrown "signaling devices" we used.

Not slamming todays members or what they do but have a serious question. If you believe your corps uses trumpets and tubas then do you call your group a Drum and Bugle corps? If so, that doesn't sound honest to me and is disrepectful to corps who did play bugles, whether they had valves or not. Kinda like someone saying "We don't play bugles but we're a Drum & Bugle Corps just like anyone in the past". My response would be "Guess again".

I was also very proud of the distinction between band instruments and the horns I played in drum and bugle corps, but isn't this thread about fighting a battle that has already been lost? The shift is pretty much complete.

"If you believe your corps uses trumpets and tubas then do you call your group a Drum and Bugle corps?"

What they believe the corps uses doesn't matter does it? The fact is they are using trumpets and tubas. If they do in fact use trumpets and tubas and call themselves a Drum and Bugle Corps some folks get offended. It sounds like you are in this camp. Others have reluctantly given into the Bb horns, but are offended if they don't use traditional drum corps terms. How can they possibly please everyone at this point.

Call it what you like,

if it looks like a duck,

sounds like a duck,

and does its quacking sound outdoors...

A trumpet is just a glorified bugle, as a flute is just a whistle that went to finishing school, in my view.

:blink:

I totally agree with Mr. Braga... Got you covered on this coast Mike !!!!

John, you rock.....got your back ^0^

Where did anyone say pre-1990 drum corps was not real drum corps? I missed that one.

OTOH....you think it's ok for you to trash current members and potential members...or just plain fans. <**>

FYI...I marched from 64-72

It was actualy a couple of people in Sound Machine. When pressed one of them told me off by responding that he bought a ticket each year and a DVD and that he should have a say in the "Product" he goes to see.

It's not very funny at all rut roh,....maybe you should explain why it is humorous! It's actually a disrespect for tradition that some hold dear to their hearts including myself.....Mike D's defense of "anything goes in drum corps" is more of a hustle to keep his livelihood in both worlds.....no offense Mike, but it sounds more and more like a hustle to me.....part of the tradition of drum corps, whether it was proper or not, is that a soprano was a soprano,....yes I know all the technical differences and see it as a slap in the face, which is why I agree with Tansea....of course you will find apologists here, but the fact remains that with your post you are poking fun at a tradition that comes out of the activity you hold in such high regard....so you are actually dissing yourself............shame on you!!! B)

I knew I could count on you to come out swinging....you will always stand as my hero, Felix. Got your back, too. ^0^

It's not very funny at all rut roh,....maybe you should explain why it is humorous! It's actually a disrespect for tradition that some hold dear to their hearts including myself.....Mike D's defense of "anything goes in drum corps" is more of a hustle to keep his livelihood in both worlds.....no offense Mike, but it sounds more and more like a hustle to me.....

Actually, I DO take offense at that. My "livelihood" is not in band or corps...my avocation is currently in the band world, but my primary "livelihood" has nothing to do with either.

And I happen to love modern drum corps...DCI and DCA, and alumni corps as well.

Mike

Actually, I DO take offense at that. My "livelihood" is not in band or corps...my avocation is currently in the band world, but my primary "livelihood" has nothing to do with either.

And I happen to love modern drum corps...DCI and DCA, and alumni corps as well.

Mike

Sorry you took offense Mike, but I just call them as I read them and I stand by my post!!!