A Soprano is a voice, not an instrument...........

In the beginning days of DCI, brass folks didn't call sections by the instrument, but by the "voice""

Soprano Voices

Mid Voices

Baritone Voices

Euphonium Voices

Contra Voices

It referred to the voice's "pitching" in the line. The horns were all G pitched instruments that were called "bugles", which is funny because the Webster definition of a bugle is a NON-VALVED intrument used to make military calls in battle, etc.

"G bugles" were merely, in the case of 2-valve "sopranos", 2-valve trumpets pitched in the key of G. SOme purists will argue that the horns were bugles because they had a conical bore, but keep in mind cornets for years have had a conical bore and they ARE NOT called bugles........

Hope that helps.............. :angry:

Okay, is this just the ramblings of the offsrping of someone who used to lose their lunch money to drum corps people? You're name is pretensious enough without you reinforcing it with this ignorant rambling. In the beginning days of drum corps, there was no DCI, but in the beginning days of DCI there sure as H@## were not any EUPHONIUMS. I remember a "nameless" mid western corps running one of those over with their semi, one of the first corps to have one, by the by(for you trivia buffs - Z). Most drum corps people had never so much as had a music lesson, can anyone imagine a member of the 65 Royalaires sitting down long enough to listen to some band nerd tell them how to play? Hehehehehe....I know.

Drumcorps4ever, go back to the shed and think about what you wrote.....what have you learned? I have two jackets, one says Santa Clara Vanguard, Drum & Bugle Corps, my other says, Kingsmen Drum & Bugle Corps. Not Trumpet corps in the key of G accompanied by various things you strike. I have for the most part held my tongue concerning the infiltration of drum corps by this generation of Bando's, but enough is enough. My Father marched in a drum and bugle corps in the 40's, they carried bugles, no valves, no pistons, they were California State Champions. In fact, Z you'll appreciate this, Dad played bells. Long before Boston and Anaheim. My Dad was proud of the fact that I marched with Santa Clara and Anaheim, because they rocked, but mainly because while being inovative they upheld the traditons that had been set in the early days of military bearing and class. I am proud of the fact that I was involved with these organizations in particular, but mainly that I came from an era that started what you seem to take for granted. If I have to listen to one more Bando pontificate on how there wern't any "real" drum corps before 1990 or any other year for that matter my head will explode. Especially the one's who have one excuse after another as to why they never marched in the first place. "Mmmm, bad knees, mmmm, summer school, mmmm my girlfriend wouldn't let me" and on and on ad nauseum. I listened to some a## clown tell me that marching tymps were just plain stupid...."Bad Knees"

Okay, now I am rambling, but you know what....I am tired of PC drum coprs....oh, I aplogize...Brass and Thing you Stike Corps. Drum corps came out of war and street gangs. So drumcoprs4ever, p^%% off!

Now to all my friends here, I'll see you...I'll probably get censored for that last bit. ^0^

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong! A Soprano is a guy who lives in Jersey!

How you doin'? :P

Wrong! A Soprano is a guy who lives in Jersey!

How you doin'? :P

How YOU doin'?!?!

It is Drum and Bugle Corp. Call them bugles. Or change it to Drum and Band Marching Band Without Woodwinds. D&BMBWW. If you want to be totally correct. Go for it !

In fact, Z you'll appreciate this, Dad played bells. Long before Boston and Anaheim.

:music: For the elder Mr. Braga........ :ph34r:

<==wonders why there's no salute emoticon.... :ph34r:

:music: For the elder Mr. Braga........ :ph34r:

<==wonders why there's no salute emoticon.... :ph34r:

My Dad, if he were still with us would thank you and be thrilled to have his corps, The San Jose Red Devils ^0^ , remembered.

Thanks

Okay, is this just the ramblings of the offsrping of someone who used to lose their lunch money to drum corps people? You're name is pretensious enough without you reinforcing it with this ignorant rambling. In the beginning days of drum corps, there was no DCI, but in the beginning days of DCI there sure as H@## were not any EUPHONIUMS. I remember a "nameless" mid western corps running one of those over with their semi, one of the first corps to have one, by the by(for you trivia buffs - Z). Most drum corps people had never so much as had a music lesson, can anyone imagine a member of the 65 Royalaires sitting down long enough to listen to some band nerd tell them how to play? Hehehehehe....I know.

Drumcorps4ever, go back to the shed and think about what you wrote.....what have you learned? I have two jackets, one says Santa Clara Vanguard, Drum & Bugle Corps, my other says, Kingsmen Drum & Bugle Corps. Not Trumpet corps in the key of G accompanied by various things you strike. I have for the most part held my tongue concerning the infiltration of drum corps by this generation of Bando's, but enough is enough. My Father marched in a drum and bugle corps in the 40's, they carried bugles, no valves, no pistons, they were California State Champions. In fact, Z you'll appreciate this, Dad played bells. Long before Boston and Anaheim. My Dad was proud of the fact that I marched with Santa Clara and Anaheim, because they rocked, but mainly because while being inovative they upheld the traditons that had been set in the early days of military bearing and class. I am proud of the fact that I was involved with these organizations in particular, but mainly that I came from an era that started what you seem to take for granted. If I have to listen to one more Bando pontificate on how there wern't any "real" drum corps before 1990 or any other year for that matter my head will explode. Especially the one's who have one excuse after another as to why they never marched in the first place. "Mmmm, bad knees, mmmm, summer school, mmmm my girlfriend wouldn't let me" and on and on ad nauseum. I listened to some a## clown tell me that marching tymps were just plain stupid...."Bad Knees"

Okay, now I am rambling, but you know what....I am tired of PC drum coprs....oh, I aplogize...Brass and Thing you Stike Corps. Drum corps came out of war and street gangs. So drumcoprs4ever, p^%% off!

Now to all my friends here, I'll see you...I'll probably get censored for that last bit. ^0^

I totally agree with Mr. Braga... Got you covered on this coast Mike !!!!

If I have to listen to one more Bando pontificate on how there wern't any "real" drum corps before 1990 or any other year for that matter my head will explode.

If some "Bando" were to say to me that there were no "real" drum corps before 1990, etc. I'd be MORE than a LITTLE P---ED OFF!!! OK, I was on the field back in what most of you would think are the dark ages ('60s), but NOBODY had better say we weren't "real" drum corps! As far as I'm concerned, most "Bandos" are probably just drum corps wannabes!

Keep in mind the soprano bugle for years was called a soprano. It's all about tradition.

I guess a lot of corps these days don't teach that.

IMO from readnig various current members here and in speaking with some...the corps do indeed teach about traditions of their corps. What does calling a trumpet a trumpet have to do with that?

Keep in mind the soprano bugle for years was called a soprano. It's all about tradition.

I guess a lot of corps these days don't teach that.

Excrement. A flat-out misrepresentation of reality.

Traditions are kept around as long as they remain relevant. Calling an instrument by a certain name in drum corps is NOT, nor has it ever been a tradition. It's just something they called it. Just like calling a color guard who doesn't guard the colors anymore by that name. Is it a hornline or is it a brass section? A drumline or a batterie? They're essentially the same thing so what really is the big deal? This is more semantics than tradition.

You'll also find that the most important traditions, both in regards to the overall activity and to each individual corps, are taught, respected, and cherished by the overwhelming majority of corps and kids these days. It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.