Making the cut

I've never auditioned for a corps, but I've always wondered how corps communicate cuts to auditioners during the audition process. Do they have face to face meetings? Do they post a list? Is it different for every corps? I can't imagine how the big corps do it when they have to cut 100's of kids.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets/Crossmen and Capital Regiment all had face-to-face meetings with each individual member on Sunday of the audtition camp. There the staff (either the caption head or the main tech you worked with for the weekend) tells you where you stand as far as membership goes, and specific aspects of your playing to focus on.

Edited by whiterose

At Regiment - on Sunday of audition camp Pat met with all auditionees at the same time, and stated that the people he called were to leave the room. The order was random, and it was all based on the 1 2 3 system. In all three groups were called, the groups being made up of people with the same rating. Once separated from the larger body you were informed of your standing as a group, and told to ask your staff for things on which you could improve (it was definatley a good thing if you were in a group with vets). Things are kept a bit in the air until spring when drill starts to go down, and spots become an issue.

Most cuts are done by individuals, not the staff, as they realise they either can't meet the commitment, or a variety of other issues. Those that survive spring training are an even smaller group than the one that enters. It is very very hard to make it to the field in that uniform, and no one should tell you any different. I'm in awe of everyone that has gone before, come with, and will go after me.

At the Americanos - when I marched (2001-2002) - Joe pulled us aside on Sunday of audition camp, informed individuals of their standing, and their options, and offered contracts.

However, no matter how well you present yourself at auditions - ANYONE can be cut at any time if they begin to stagnate, or recess, from their prior performance level (rare, but it happens). The bottom-line- never let down, and always push - it's a privaledge to represent a corps, and one that shouldn't be taken as lightly.

I flew up to San Fran on a Wednesday afternoon and took the BART to Concord. Wayne Downey picked me up in Dave Carico's orange MG an d I was given a soprano, told some of the basics about the horn, and just jumped into the brass line. PLayed for a while, then Jack Meehan took me into a side room so I could play my audition piece..

How was I told I'd made it? That same night when Jack asked when I could move up to Concord!

Well here's one from the other side. When my son was cut by the Mandarins in 2003, the director called him on the phone and told him he was cut - The night before I shipped out for Iraq. Needless to say, it did not go over well.

Was it done the right way? No. You should handle that face to face.

Could the timing have been better? #### yes! But then again, how could they have known?

This is not meant as a slap at the Mandarins. Just a request that staffs handle a very delicate situation better. For all I know, this was an isolated event. Staff members: Talk to the players, try to keep it positive. Encourage them to keep practicing. And by all means do it face-to-face!

Some corps send out a e-mail or mailed letter telling of your status for the Corps.

I've had to cut a couple of kids in my day. Say I have 7 cymbal players trying out for 6 spots. The kid who isn't going to make it, say his name is Jimmy. I'll like all 7 kids up and say "Ok, whoever thinks there making the cymbal line, step forward." And as they all step forward, I'll go over , stop Jimmy and say "not so fast Jimmy"

Or maybe I'll put a band-aid on his sleeping gear, since he's been cut.

Seriously though, every kid that I have ever cut, they've know it was coming. At the end of a camp, I bring in all players by themselves, asking them how they did. 100% of the time, if a kid wasn't going to make it, they would say how they messed this up, didn't do this well, so on and so on. I would then tell the kid what they needed to work on if they would like to try out for the group next year.

Kind of on topic and I question I have wondered about....once you have been cut from one corps, is there time to audition for another corps? Or do many people audition for multiple corps in hopes of landing a spot with one of them? Any restrictions to this?

It makes me wonder if people audition for something too big, lets say Bluecoats, spend too much time there only to get cut and then its too late and they have the talent to be in a corps like Southwind or Capital Regiment. (This is not intended to be a slap at any of these corps, just used for example of different levels)

Kind of on topic and I question I have wondered about....once you have been cut from one corps, is there time to audition for another corps? Or do many people audition for multiple corps in hopes of landing a spot with one of them? Any restrictions to this?

It makes me wonder if people audition for something too big, lets say Bluecoats, spend too much time there only to get cut and then its too late and they have the talent to be in a corps like Southwind or Capital Regiment. (This is not intended to be a slap at any of these corps, just used for example of different levels)

I am not sure if there are any restrictions like that, but there are definitely people out there that audition for multiple corps. I am one of them. Being my rook-out year, I had no idea where I wanted to march. I had never been to a camp before so I wasn't sure how different corps' operated. I chose my two favorite corps and auditioned at both (luckily they were on different weekends). It didn't have anything to do with potential competitive placement, it had much more to do with feeling comfortable with where I was, and that just so happened to be the 2nd corps I auditioned for.

I read here once that even though you're auditioning for the corps, the corps is also auditioning for YOU. I absolutely agree with this statement, and I'm glad I showed up for the audition with both corps, because I was able to determine where I felt most comfortable.

Lesse, when I was at my BK audition the had the Bass line in 2 groups.

A group- Yeah, you probably made it

B group- You have a chance if you come back.

Each kid tried for their respective Bass and were either put in A group, B group, or... neither.

It was nice actually, I liked the set up, you could constantly challenge and whatnot, so, you didn't have to feel like you were in trouble if something happened the wrong way.

At Kiwanis, it was laid back and chill. You played your piece, and they told you what to work on, if anything.