Great Drum Corps Rivalry's

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasnt there a Blue Stars/Mandarins rivalry as well?

yah if you wanna call it that it was more a friendly one but man in 99 I think it was at it most ..

we always used to have pizza party with them after finals at dci it was cool got to meet alot of great people

maybe now there both open class the get together will start back up

Sometimes rivalries are one sided, I remember being a Bluecoat in 1990 and Glassmen always shooting for us, but we had no anamosity towards them. At that time, they were a fresh young corps (despite being around for a while) they were starting the evolution into the world class organization they are now. Prior to 1990, the glassmen organization seemed to be much more about entertainment and in the 90's started merging entertainment with visual and musical creativity and becoming a truly competitive organization.

Just reading this thread brings one question to mind. Did Boston like anybody????

Edited by bandman28

About the only one that I'm really aware of is the Santa Clara Vanguard/Blue Devils rivalry...

USED to be that way...back when SCV and BD were in the same competitive category, like 5,000 years ago.

Looking forward to seeing a change in that respect this year, as SCV is clearly out for BLOOD in 06!!

GO SCV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard of only two. Whether or not one would consider them rivalries i don't know.

Back in 88 or 89 SCV and Cavies were EXTEREMELY close around the time of prelims score-wise. I don't know details, but i DO know that SCV played Cavies bassbeat as they exited the field. The gentlmen of Rosemont were far from "OK" with it.

Well, in 88 SCV's main "rivalry" or "corps to beat" was without a doubt the Blue Devils. We didn't consider Madison a threat until finals night when they stood there medal in hand.

in 89 I don't think there's a shadow of a doubt that SCV's biggest competitive rival was Phantom Regiment.

Am at a loss to think of a single year where it was SCV and Cavies up at the top.

I remember that started around 1993 or 94. I think. Then I think it ended when Brian Hickman took over the corps in 1997.

Yeah, the corps doesn't do it at retreat anymore-- however, the drumline still yells the G during each show during some sweet lick. (You can't usually hear it on the recordings, though).

BLUECOATS and BAC...

like bloooContra said, its faded alittle this past year... but in the preceeding 4 years, i both heard stories of, and whitnessed a very active rivalry. It never got out of hand, or really ever elevated to levels that were openly unprofessional, but man... i think in 2003, we honestly would have been fine taking 9th or 10th as long as boston was 10th or 11th... but thats just how it was... and honestly, its copeditively healthy to let something like a rivalry get you pumped... as long as you dont take it too seriously.

Big rivalry in SoCal was between the Anaheim Kingsmen and the VK. Part of it had to do with the fact both corps were started after the break up of the original unit, the Anaheim Scouts. Score and placement wise, the Kingsmen were always way ahead of their Orange County rivals. With both corps reorganizing, perhaps we will again see that "friendly rivalry" re-emerge? My best to both groups!

For Felix and others...yes, the Freelancer/VK rivarly was and IS a very real thing! I love it! Dang Freeranchers...

And I absolutely LOVED the story of SCV playing Cavies "street beat" as they left the field. THAT IS SOME FUNNY STUFF!! I love stories like that!