Great Drum Corps Rivalry's

Well, in 88 SCV's main "rivalry" or "corps to beat" was without a doubt the Blue Devils. We didn't consider Madison a threat until finals night when they stood there medal in hand.

in 89 I don't think there's a shadow of a doubt that SCV's biggest competitive rival was Phantom Regiment.

Am at a loss to think of a single year where it was SCV and Cavies up at the top.

SCV and Blue Devils had been rivals since Blue Devils came to prominence in 1976. With all due respect, your other example of SCV/Phantom doesn't really fit into the rival category, as a single season isn't enough time to qualify as a bona fide rivalry -- especially when the two corps don't meet until late in the summer and seldom at that.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes rivalries are one sided, I remember being a Bluecoat in 1990 and Glassmen always shooting for us, but we had no anamosity towards them. At that time, they were a fresh young corps (despite being around for a while) they were starting the evolution into the world class organization they are now. Prior to 1990, the glassmen organization seemed to be much more about entertainment and in the 90's started merging entertainment with visual and musical creativity and becoming a truly competitive organization.

Just reading this thread brings one question to mind. Did Boston like anybody????

Late 70s, early 80s things were rather "intense" between the two.

Bluecoats had never beaten the Glassmen up to that time, and with the Gmen just coming back to competition after 3 years away, with a much smaller and inexperienced corps than in the past, the competition was pretty heated, although by 81 Bluecoats were much farther along, and definately held the edge for the bragging rights in Ohio!

Late 70s, early 80s things were rather "intense" between the two.

Bluecoats had never beaten the Glassmen up to that time, and with the Gmen just coming back to competition after 3 years away, with a much smaller and inexperienced corps than in the past, the competition was pretty heated, although by 81 Bluecoats were much farther along, and definately held the edge for the bragging rights in Ohio!

This did come back around in 1992, when they came seemingly out of nowhere and kicked our butts all over the Midwest for the first half of the season.

1993 started out in similar fashion--we were pretty close together for a while, and we were all shocked (and not just a little ticked off) when we were beaten by them AND The Colts at the DCM regional that year. I remeber a little kid from Colts Cadets in front of a couple of us on a payphone the next day. "And the Glassmen beat the Bluecoats and the Colts beat the Bluecoats..."

We discussed taking the little guy and storing him in our bus's luggage bay for the next stretch of tour.

Ended up being the first top 12 year for both G-men and Colts.

In the mid 80's, SCV and Garfield had a bit of a rivalry going on before and after the 83 finals retreat when SCV turned towards BD to play off at retreat and turned their backs on us. Gail Royer even made the DM go back on the field to apoligize before we left the field in Miami, but the corps took along time to forget what had happened. It all started in 82 when we beat SCV for the first time in Huntington, WV.... fun to be a part of - with ton's of respect on both sides for many years...

Anyone remember the early 80s DCM championship where Madison and Phantom tied. In those days ties were not accepted AT ALL. So both corps got their gear together and each did their full show again, and TIED. Not to be out done they REPLAYED their FULL shows again, and I believe Phantom pulled it out. Warm ups in the parking lot where INTENSE!!!!!! March your show three times in a row for a championship. That was tough.

In the pre DCI years-Boston and the I.C. Reveries was a very huge rivalry, although IC never beat Boston that I know of...fast forward to the new corps - 27th Lancers.....basically I believe it was neck and neck then mostly 27 winning...this was so bad there were fights and arrests.....however it would all be straightened out and none of the members had records because of it.

I know the 27th/BAC one was REAL bad at times...we were very friendly with 27th in my Garfield days...we'd stay at each others' homes all the time...

We came out of the Manning Bowl one night after being assigned to 'our' Lancers and all of the radio antennas on the 27th cars were busted off...and a carful of BAC members drove by mocking the 27th members and basically bragging about what they had done...but...that act was a retalition for some sort of thing that 27th had done a while before that...and it went on...and on...and on....etc....

I understand the BS/Garfield rivalry was pretty hot and heavy in the early 60's, but by 1970 it had died down to some snide comments, and after that was non-existent.

We did have a friendly rivalry with the Muchachos, as they were in the next town to Garfield...we'd play football and stuff after the season. In fact, our great DM Richie Chirichella broke his leg at a Garfield/Muchacho game after the season. He was recuperating nicely...and in a flash threw a blood clot to his heart and died instantly. Saddest funeral I've ever been to.

One other...

After the Garden State champs in (I think) 69, the Newark-based St. Martin's Troubadors and NY Riversiders started brawling right on the field (in Dover, I think)....St Martin's moderator immediately disbanded the corps.

Ummmm, I would think there's a big rivalry between BD and the Cavies! I mean, since '94 they didn't at least share a title only 2 seasons. Fierce!

I also read something about BD and Phantom not liking each other very much.

Edited by fourouttheforty

Rivalries:

:worthy:

Blue Devils vs. Santa Clara Vanguard

Cavaliers vs. Cadets (Alternating Champs every 5 years at least)

Phantom Regiment vs. Madison Scouts

Carolina Crown vs. Boston Crusaders

Bluecoats vs. Blue Knights

Glassmen vs. Crossmen

Colts vs. Southwind

Spirit vs. Capital Regiment

Southwind vs. Seattle Cascades

Mandarins vs. Pioneer

Esperenza vs. Pacific Crest

*All non-bold rivalries are rumors I've heard.

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

Spirit - CR is a new one to me.