Great Drum Corps Rivalry's

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Nancy points out, I believe geographic rivalries were always around. How intense they got depended on the quality of the corps each year. I'm sure that is also at the base of BD/SCV. It just so happened that both corps got so good that their rivalry usually played out on a national stage each year.

As to the Red Sox/yankmes reference, it was correctly pointed out that a rivalry can not exist until each participant actually beats other. Prior to that, it is merely obsession on behalf of the losing team and nuisance on behalf of the winning one.

The one from 04 that sticks out in my mind is Bluecoats, Crown, and Madison. As far as 2005 goes I would have to say the whole 6-9 bracket was prettty darn touchy. I have never noticed any tension between Spirit and Crown the past couple of years... Maybe they have it out for Crown but I am pretty certain that the kids at Crown have nothing but respect and admiration for Spirit and thier traditions. Based on a few stories that I have heard... there was some EXTREME Star/Cavies rivalry in the late 80's, early 90's.

My friend told me that a long time ago Santa Clara Vanguard and Troopers use to have a contest. Whoever won the competition that they were both at the winner would get a dollar. It was the same dollar and the winner kept it until the other corps won.

The two that I can definitely state are BD/SCV and Crown/Spirit.

...even though Spirit has not beaten Crown at a competition since 2003, there is still a rivalry. I will state that it was not as strong as say, 2001-2003, but there none-the-less.

definitely a good bit of Spirit-Crown riavalry. Although it's not as intense as it was in the early part of the decade it's still there. The two corps never had real animosity towards eachother, more a matter of a rivalry of respect and close competition in both location and placement. As I said, it was more prevalent in the early part of the decade, especially in 02 when the two corps had pretymuch identical touring schedules for much of the season and would trade off wins over eachother until the last couple weeks of the season. Of course, I'd love to see the rivalry intensify a bit again between the two geographical rivals from a competition standpoint again. B)

A good number of you need to realize that corps don't have rivalries with each other because they scored near each other one year. All that means is that our shows were almost equally as effective/clean. We don't have any kind of "rivalry" with Madison because of our scores this year; nor is there one between SCV and Boston because they switched positions in finals either. Corps don't determine their opinions on other corps based on similar scores. "Rivalries" in drum corps these days, are basically just individual members of corps having biased opinions on specific other corps, and rarely is it something as widespread throughout an entire corps to be something that could be called a rivalry. Heated competition and occasionally misplaced frustration, perhaps, but no reasonable dislike through an entire drum corps. Most members of corps really don't care about what other corps are doing (or in many cases, scores at all), simply because drum corps is not a defensive activty.

Cavies and every other top 6 corps

Yeah, not quite.

A good number of you need to realize that corps don't have rivalries with each other because they scored near each other one year. All that means is that our shows were almost equally as effective/clean. We don't have any kind of "rivalry" with Madison because of our scores this year; nor is there one between SCV and Boston because they switched positions in finals either. Corps don't determine their opinions on other corps based on similar scores. "Rivalries" in drum corps these days, are basically just individual members of corps having biased opinions on specific other corps, and rarely is it something as widespread throughout an entire corps to be something that could be called a rivalry. Heated competition and occasionally misplaced frustration, perhaps, but no reasonable dislike through an entire drum corps. Most members of corps really don't care about what other corps are doing (or in many cases, scores at all), simply because drum corps is not a defensive activty.

Well said. That's why I asked about how we see rivalries in sports, and are they true rivalries that teams have between each other, or rivalries that fans of different teams have with each other?

I get the impression that these days there aren't many corps members that are SO into the competitive aspect of the activity that they say "I'm sick of losing to the blue team in brass, tonight let's smoke 'em", or things like that.