Positive Comments about every corps in the top 12

liebot

We don't need "Positive Comment" threads.

We just need to quit bashing other corps and stay on topic.

:blink:

<personal attack removed: bluestarcontra>

but anyway...

Memphis Sound: i really liked there visual program. And the fact that they have cymbels is a big plus for me. I know theyve sorta been in the doghouse of d2 for the past couple years, but i feel like they really improved a lot this year. looking forward to the 06 production.

Yamato: the fact that this corp meets half in japan and half in californa for the first half of the season and then puts it altogether amazes me. the origonal concepts work well for them - i think there design staff really has it together. theyve always been a late-developer, so you can never count them out (just ask court of honor in 04). I like this thread.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<personal attack removed: bluestarcontra>

:feednotroll:

back on topic, what little i saw of Yamato greatly impressed me, as it has in the last two years. i only got to see their drumline in the parking lot for little occasional snippets, but it was always very enjoyable.

props to Yamato

Edited by bluestarcontra

It's not holding hands so much as looking an equal in the eye and shaking hands and saying "Good job."

Open your eyes, your ears, your heart, your hand and try it.

Please excuse me,

I am just a member of the old guard.

"Corpsmanship begins and ends with what you THINK about yourself and others.”

whos next,,,i got the cds i should know....Teipe Yuefu??? maybe...

my coments on them is that, i accually like the music, from the drum solo on you can definatly tell this is an asian corps though, lol. not that thats bad, i accually liked it.

whos next,,,i got the cds i should know....Teipe Yuefu??? maybe...

my coments on them is that, i accually like the music, from the drum solo on you can definatly tell this is an asian corps though, lol. not that thats bad, i accually liked it.

the only thing i remember from them is when Phil Vallejo was tuning the basses before a show and they started playing what i later found out is their cadence. he stopped for a while and just stood there listening. when he stopped, one of the other basses asked, "what's up?" he said "nothing. i just thought for a second 'i wrote that.'" when they played it again, i listened closely. he was right. the begining of their cadance (maybe more) is exactly like the begining of Buisiness As Usual (SCV bass 98), which he wrote.

anyways, the little i heard them play was pretty clean, but as w/ Yamato and everyone else, i didn't get to see too much of them

Edited by Gbassman5

So just got my DVD today and literally just watched Taipei Yuehfu. To me, they were the 05 equivalent of the 04 Marion Glory Cadets - they had their dirt, but they were bada** nonetheless. I really loved their drill - their writer knew how to make the most of a division 3 hornline and they performed it very well. Their brassline had their shaky moments intonation-wise, but I would say they were about on par (if not better) than the corps I've watched so far (ECJ, Spartans, Taipei). The last two corps I commented on I didn't actually watch the DVD of yet, so when I go back to them I'm going to post some more comments. Keep 'em coming guys... in the meantime, let's move on to Oregon Crusaders... I know Bobby's got lots of positive things to say about them.

Oregon Crusaders -

Hornline... :angry:

Guard... :blink:

Carl... :blink: lol J/K

But seriously, the brass and guard were awesome. OC definitely had one of my Top 3 favorite shows of 2005 and it will be the 2nd show I watch when I get my DVD.

Like others though, I have to wonder...how come the guard guy with the rifle didn't just shoot the guy with the sabre? I guess we will never know...

We're on OC?

Okay! Great hornline, awesome flugal horn soloist! Outstanding cook staff B)

Great use of the field visual-wise.

I know Bobby's got lots of positive things to say about them.

I love all corps. :blink: :sshh: ^0^ B)

Oregon Crusaders. I'll comment as I watch.a

I'll start by saying that I disagree 100% with the placement of OC. They should have been in the 5th-6th placement. I've look at this show like 3 times now and looked at recaps. Visual seemed to have killed them, but it's not as bad as corps ahead of them. GE was also a little underscored also. Seems only right, b/c the corps placing 1-6 were overscored. I think the scores were given by how well corps were scoring earlier in the week.

Opening drill really reflects what's happening with the music. I personally think OC had the BEST overall brass sound on DVD. Colorguard :sshh: good role playing and movement WITHOUT equipment. Execution with equipment is really low. Staging is perfect but the writing sometimes don't take full advantage of it. I don't know what kind of horns they're playing on but they sound great. I see they're using Baritones and Euphs, so that adds alot to the low end of the ensemble. Flugelhorn soloist.....yeah..... good, I think I'm jealous. Nice solo with trumpet duet in the background. And props to the one guy that's holding down the upper lead parts. I don't know what the judges were looking at but they march okay, better then most on the DVD. Visual Ensemble was shaky at times, but still consistent. Not a good day for the Trumpet trio, much better in Pittsburg. Trumpet solo at the beginning of closer, GOOD, short and out of place musically, but good. One thing that kills me with this show, the percussion plays well, but when they're featured they're drowned out by the horns and when they're not staged and featured, they stick out and makes it hard to follow the lines of the music. KILLER Bass Drum line. Pit seemed to be the glue that keep the musical ensemble together and gets the musical phrases across. Well written pit book but it could have been more.

I can write another paragraph, but I'll give others a chance to give input.

All positive comment and criticism

Edited by MelloHorn13