Kingsmen Alumni?

GABA

The debut of The Kingsmen Alumni Corps at Walnut, CA was by far the best time I have had in years. The standing ovations from the crowd were well worth the time and effort we put into presenting a quality program that we feel lived up to the high standards that we, as members of The Kingsmen Alumni Corps, set for ourselves.

I promise you, after reading this thread from the beginning and watching our posts from "inside The Kingsmen" we were not blowing smoke when we said back in January and February that we were onto something quite special, and our performance in exhibition last Saturday night only hints of things to come in 2007.

I was never prouder of being a part of any association in my life. We have an outstanding staff working on our benefit.....I notice I said that 6 months ago, too...., the talent and heart on the field itself never cease to amaze me in the professional way they come to rehearse and practice, the instruction is first rate, and please trust me on this, because if it were not true I would tell you differently, but:

It's good to be a Kingsmen.

Again.

And, as my Kingsmen brothers and sisters heard me say more than once over the course of Kamp Kingsmen I, ".......it just keeps gettting better and better, doesn't it?"

RON HOUSLEY

Baritone II

Kingsmen Alumni Corps 06-07

Edited by ffernbus3

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We fielded 90 Brass, 19 Rifles, 29 Flags, 12 Nationals, 12 Snare, 8 tenor, 4 Bass, 9 Cymbals, 8 Pit, 4 former Drum Majors (Jim Good 72' flew in from Miss and Andre Mason 77' flew in from Ohio)

About 185 on the field. Our video recording of this performance will be posted on this site by the end of next week.

In addition to the numbers on the field we had over 10 brass, 4 snares (incl Scott Kubitz) and 10 in the guard that were unable to attend due to previous family and other commitments. That won't be the case next year. We lost Jesus Soliz the day before the performance and our 20th rifle broke a couple of fingers and couldn't perform. Since that show we have register an additional 10 horn players and over 15 in total.

Our average age on the field at Walnut was 49 years of age. Oldest was 83 in the National Squad and a son of an alum of 72' marched with his father and he was 18.

Anyone who is 21 years of age by DCI is invited to join us. We will march between 150 and 175 brass. The arch which will be flexible will include late arrivals and those not up to the task of marching a field show but have a desire to play again. This includes Larrie of the Renegades. He worked our sop line but had to head back for camp in Nor Cal. We could still really use a couple more contras to reach our goal of 24 next year.

Our casual uniform shirts went over big and our warm up chorale was awesome. Watch this site for the official video.

Thank you for all of your support. California is beautiful in August, pack your bags and be a part of history. Either as a performer or spectator. We will have a dress rehearsal on Thursday, Aug 9, 2007 here locally and you will see the full show for the first time. It will only be performed twice. The second will be at DCI.

Al Murray was at our celebatory party and attended camp on Thur and Friday. He was in tears and as proud as all of us on the field. Ralph Hardiman per our prior emails earlier in the year may very well join us for concert and Tom Float is Tom Float. I spent so much time commuting with Tom to Diplomat and Kingsmen practice I would love to see him join us.

I also want to thank all of the positive response we received from all of the marching members of the junior corps in attendance at Walnut. Every time a contra line passed, I wanted to ask them about who was aging out. Of course we all have too much class for that. These kids are class. Seeing the Blue Devils and SC Vanguard pass it took me back to my three years at DCI in 72-74.

Joe Rybus, Director of Operations, Kingsmen Alumni Corps

Well spoken, Joe. Thanks to you and the rest of The Kingsmen Alumni Corps Committee for everything. Without you all there would be no Kingsmen Alumni Corps.

Saturday night's debut was a huge labor of love by all of us involved but just our being there was testimony to the initial dedication of a small, wonderful group of people with a vision.

This was only the opening salvo. Next year when we Kingsmen Alumni Corps members play The Rose Bowl our show will be way bigger, we'll be in full force doing that beauty of a drill and wearing the Kingsmen Cadet uniforms.

Like I have said from the beginning: "It just keeps getting better and better!"

Can't wait, Boss!

RON HOUSLEY

Baritone II

Kingsmen Alumni Corps

Edited by ffernbus3

Thank you Ray, Just like Kingsmen in the past we have looked for help from others, and the Skyliners have helped. Thanks for our phone calls. All of "True Drum Corps" should embrace the Kingsmen as your representatives of this activity we all truly love. G Bugles, Color Pre and no dancinging to paraphase so many nuances of the modern era.

I truly respect these kids today. They work every bit as hard as we did. And for the most part they are much better musicians than we were. When the Kingsmen won DCI in 72', our average age was about 17 1/2. Now these corps are darn near 21. Average time in corps was 4 to 6 years. It's now 2. I understand that Phantom has no member who grew up in Rockford, Ill. All imports of the modern era.

Plan a vacation to So Cal next year and cheer for what you all want, "True Drum Corps". Do not miss our dress rehearsal show the Thursday before it will be one for the ages.

Edited by joerybus

You guys can all wait to see them on July 8th if you want to....

Me.... I prefer to get a head start and see them up close and personal with their bells so close they're up against my head re-arranging my DNA on:

Friday, 07 July 7:00pm at Torrance High School in Torrance California.

Muuaaahahaaahaaa.....

^0^

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

Lisa if our baritone line has the pleasure of gazing upon your beauty at the show I am sure the usual ritual of Lemon and Lemon water to produce moisture will be UNNECESSARY! Hopefully the drooling will not make me look to ridiculous ^0^

Cal Laub

Baritone

KAC 06 and Beyond

Hey Joe! Tell Dale Lofgen that Kelley says hello and is really looking forward to seeing you perform next weekend! I'm marching with Scott Kubitz currently and it's a lot of fun playing serious notes with him! It will be awesome to see Scott, Earl and Dale play next year at finals. Already got my ticket!