Madison Scouts pit

I LOVED wearing the hat.

It was unique, yes, but it also (in retrospect) made me feel more like a member of the corps (which, as those of you who were in the front ensemble know, isn't always the case).

It probably only works with aussies, but I also think it is a cool uniform look from the stands.

I also miss the aggressive style, which started in the 70's and continued until recently, thanks to Taras and his successors. It is what drew me to dedicate myself to the corps all those years ago- check out what 6 players could do in 1985...never topped IMHO. Taras, Chris Theo and Chris Thompson are back arranging the Alumni Corps rep for August.

Look for me at semis- I'll be playing in the front ensemble (with my hat on!).

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in 1986 when I was in Bluecoats pit our staff wanted us to wear the helmets in the pit. well we did in one show i believe and they were a huge echo chamber since you had your head tilted forward most of the time and they just picked up and amplified all the brass and percussion behind you. We conveniently forgot them on the truck at the next few shows until the staff stopped trying to make us wear them.

Things change, like not marking time up to your as*, or wearing a pup tent hat.

I'm not sure we can call wearing hats in the pit a "tradition" in the same sense of tradition like singing Never Walk, or being all male.

Edited by Redmann

Whats with all this Madison Tradition bashing? They don't wear the hats anymore, get over it. Madison is a much better corps than they ever have been in the past, and guess what guys, things change. Madison didn't even have a food truck until 2003. How's that for tradition? I get tired of people bashing the great job Sal Salas has done as director. Yeah maybe a few things have changed, but what corps hasn't changed? How many of you are actually Scouts anyway that talk about traditions, probably not many of you.

Edited by JBrooks

Whats with all this Madison Tradition bashing? They don't where the hats anymore, get over it. Madison is a much better corps then they ever have been in the past, and guess what guys, things change. Madison didn't even have a food truck until 2003. Hows that for tradition? I get tired of people bashing the great job Sal Salas has done as director, yeah maybe a few things have changed, but what corps hasnt changed? How many of you are actually Scouts anyway, that talk about traditions, probably not many of you.

I agree - things change and for the most part, for the better.

As an alum, I very glad to see them not only being competative again, but also

really starting to be innovative. But I do have to correct you on one point.

We have had a food truck before 2003. I marched in 89-90 and we had one.

True, it wasn't the semi-truck with refrigeration like they have now, but

it was a functional food truck.

Whats with all this Madison Tradition bashing? They don't wear the hats anymore, get over it. Madison is a much better corps than they ever have been in the past, and guess what guys, things change. Madison didn't even have a food truck until 2003. How's that for tradition? I get tired of people bashing the great job Sal Salas has done as director. Yeah maybe a few things have changed, but what corps hasn't changed? How many of you are actually Scouts anyway that talk about traditions, probably not many of you.

Madison is hardly a "much better corps" than they "ever" have been. Are they improved over the 2002 corps, probably....but I would honestly put any of those other shows up against 2004 and 2005. Besides, drum corps is a completely different ball game than it was in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. But you wouldn't know that, you are probably new to drum corps in the past 5-6 years.

You ask what corps hasn't changed....well a lot of the haven't. And besides, there are very few corps who are around that have been around long enough to have the traditions Madison had.

No one is bashing Sal by the way....in fact I think Sal is doing a great job directing the corps. Am I upset that they have lost there heritage....yup, but I'll probably get over it.

And the old cook truck was awesome. It was rare you could find a corps that could survive with a smaller cook truck. It was because at nearly every school the corps stayed at they got access to the kitchen. And anyone who says the Scouts pre-large cook semi ate poorly.....ummm, nope. The scouts ate as well as any other corps on the road. (well, maybe not as well as BD and SCV)

Whats with all this Madison Tradition bashing? They don't wear the hats anymore, get over it.

A few people have stated that they miss Madison wearing Aussies in the pit (and their style of play). I don't think there has been any bashing and such an allegation is more negative than what you actually characterize as bashing.

You ask what corps hasn't changed....well a lot of the haven't. And besides, there are very few corps who are around that have been around long enough to have the traditions Madison had.

Care to name a corps that hasn't changed? I can't think of a single corps that was

active in the 80's that looks or sounds anything like that corps today.